The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing a Six Shooter to C6th?
Larry Haas

Morganton, North Carolina USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 7:48 am    

I have a Fessenden Six Shooter that I want to change over to C6th or ????. What tuning would be good for this with only 2 pedals? I like C6th on a lap steel but the slants are giving me a lot of trouble. I know that over time I would be able to master them but being 72 years old, I don't think I have that much time to master a good slant. So, I do have this pedal steel that has G#EBG#EB tuning and it works very good with this E9th tuning. I want to learn some Hawaiian songs and also other styles.
Has anyone, that might have one, changed their tuning other than standard that Jerry sets them up.
The pedals are raise only. Maybe in the near future I will add a couple knee levers but would like to try C6th with it.
Any advise would be appreciated with a new tuning.

Thanks
Larry

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:35 pm    

Last time this came up, this was about the only response...

Larry Phleger wrote:
I would set tune it E,C,A,G,E,C (High to Low) Pedal A would raise G to A. Pedal B would raise Es to F, and a knee pedal to raise A to Bb. A second knee pedal to raise the Cs to C# could act as the F pedal on an E9 copedant giving augmented and diminished chords. This setup would allow for a wide variety of changes without having to lower any strings. I have never seen a six string pedal steel, but this is what I would do if I only had 6 strings.

I have a Six Shooter but have only ever had it in E9 tuning. I have added a knee lever though and it was well worth doing and pretty easy to do (with a friend with some tools and a bit of workshop experience).

Larry Haas

Morganton, North Carolina USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:45 pm    

Thanks Jeff for the info
Knee levers won't be a problem for me. I was thinking about setting it up ECAGEC and splitting up the 7 pedal from a Jeff Newman setup. A pedal would raise C to D and B pedal would raise A to B. Those strings are what I mostly play with on what little I know about C6th tuning. It's pretty easy to change the setups on the six shooter.
I was thinking someone might have done this before.

Thanks

Larry