The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pic of Emmons with 57 Sho-Bud
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 2:13 am    

Here is a picture that was in a USA Today article about the original Hall of Fame in Nashville.

According to the article Buddy donated this steel to the Hall of Fame in 1983.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 5:24 am    

That steel was in a glass case upstairs at"Pete's Place"when I moved to town in 1977...Pete had his name affixed to the front apron over Buddy's...

I think that's the"Half a Mind"steel...never knew it till later but makes sense,given the time period that record came out,etc...

Pete gave it back to Buddy and Buddy gave it to the CMHOF...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 9:13 am    

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 2:22 am    

You can see where the Pete Drake sign was on the front of the guitar. Its lighter than the rest of the guitar.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:48 am    

Quote:
You can see where the Pete Drake sign was on the front of the guitar. Its lighter than the rest of the guitar.

...but not by much! Laughing

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:07 am    

Don't you know, Barry, that when wood is covered it stays lighter and when it is exposed to light it darkens. Laughing

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:26 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Don't you know, Barry, that when wood is covered it stays lighter and when it is exposed to light it darkens. Laughing

Lacquer finishes darken with age and exposure to UV.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:40 am    

I think it's the wood that darkens mainly, didn't know that about the laquer.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:43 am    

I've seen both of those pictures for years, but I never knew that they were of the same guitar! Mind blown! Whoa!

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 2:10 pm    

I just saw that Steel last week its in the Nash. Hall of Fame and museum.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 3:57 pm    

Quote:
Don't you know, Barry, that when wood is covered it stays lighter and when it is exposed to light it darkens.

I was equating "lighter" to a measure of weight. That nameplate was so ridiculously huge, I was being sarcastic in suggesting it weighed almost as much as the guitar... Oh Well

Anthony Lis

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 7:14 pm    

b0b wrote:
I've seen both of those pictures for years, but I never knew that they were of the same guitar! Mind blown! Whoa!

Absolutely; same here.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 7:45 am    

b0b wrote:

Same here...wow!!

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:36 am    

Sho-Bud built this Permanent for Emmons as a D-8. Emmons split the pedals on this guitar and recorded “Half a Mind” in 1958 - the first recording of a pedal steel with split A&B pedals. The story goes Emmons had a wood burning kit and burned his signature into the front apron of the guitar. When Pete Drake got the guitar from Buddy Emmons he took back to Sho-Bud and Shot converted it to a D-10. As mentioned above the guitar can be seen today on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame - the D-10 Pete played w/ "Buddie Emmons" on the front - a tribute to both these legends. Here’s a photo of Emmons and the D-8 guitar (Tommy Jackson is over his left shoulder) and a link to “Half a Mind."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xX9NDpxJo

Now - Is this also the 7/19/63 "Forever" guitar? I don't know. Here Praguefrank's session info:

19 July 1963 Starday Sound Studio, 3557 Dickerson Road, Nashville, TN – Pete Drake
018 2-29719 MIDNIGHT IN AMARILLO Smash S-1888/ Cumberland SRC-69503
019 2-29720 FOREVER Cumberland SRC-69503
020 2-29721 STEEL GUITAR RAG Cumberland SRC-69503
021 2-29722 KENTUCKY WALTZ Cumberland SRC-69503
022 2-29723 WILD SIDE OF LIFE Cumberland SRC-69503

Last edited by robert kramer on 30 Mar 2017 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 2:33 pm    

Bob,

It ain't the guitar on the cover of the "Forever" album...

We both know that means less than nothing...

Very possible that he used it,though...

I'll look at some pics and try to piece it together...

I'm gonna say it is,if he used it in the movie"Country Music on Broadway"...

Glad to have a man"on the inside"...

Thanks
Steve

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 5:53 pm    

I believe it is the one on the front of "The Amazing And Incredible Pete Drake".

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 8:26 am    

No mistakin' who's playin' this guitar...

...but what happened to the name in this picture??

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:23 am    

Here are some notes on the Buddie Emmons / Pete Drake / Buddy Emmons Sho-Bud Permanent from the "Ask Buddy" section on Ernie Renn's excellent and informative BuddyEmmons.com website:

http://www.buddyemmons.com/board_toc.htm

“A few examples of the Sho-Bud sound would be any Ernest Tubb album or the song, "Half a Mind," or the Duane Eddy album, "Twang a Country Song," or my first two albums or with Ray Price, including the song "Night Life." The Sho-Buds I used for those recordings were the original permanent models with changer fingers that rested against tuners in the end of neck and no roller nuts to absorb the sound. Those features along with a 12k pickup and a 25" scale gave the Sho-Bud permanent model a clarity and warmth no present day guitars can duplicate.”

“The only Bigsby instrumental I recall recording on the E9th tuning was Flint Hill Special, and it didn't have split pedals. I first split the pedals on a Fender 1000 and then the Bigsby, but don't remember recording with them until Ernest Tubb's Half A Mind, which was in 1957 and the guitar was a Sho-Bud.”

I'll also add that during an Eddie Stubbs interview on WSM with Buddy Emmons & Hall Rugg - Emmons said he felt the steel guitar lost much if some sound when it they went from slots to roller nuts.

The Fender 1000 was first issued in mid-1957. "Four Wheel Drive" (10/8/19) is a Fender 1000.

Three sides were cut at the 6/11/58 "Half a Mind" session. The other two were: "Next Time" & "Goodbye Sunshine, Hello Blues." "Goodbye Sunshine, Hello Blues" isn't on YouTube but they are all on the ET Bear Family Box Set "The Yellow Rose of Texas." Here is "Next Time" cut right after "Half a Mind."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UCS0L1NZs

Here is Duane Eddy's "Weary Blues From Waiting" from "Twang a Country Song." The link will take you to all the cuts on this LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRe4z1H94gU

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 12:59 pm     ...all I can say is...

Bob Kramer...

You're GOOD!

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 1:22 pm    

robert kramer wrote:
"Ask Buddy" section on Ernie Renn's excellent and informative BuddyEmmons.com website: http://www.buddyemmons.com/board_toc.htm

“The only Bigsby instrumental I recall recording on the E9th tuning was Flint Hill Special, and it didn't have split pedals. I first split the pedals on a Fender 1000 and then the Bigsby, but don't remember recording with them until Ernest Tubb's Half A Mind, which was in 1957 and the guitar was a Sho-Bud.”

In looking at old Bigsbys with plunger type changers (which I think Buddy's was), it would seem very difficult to split pedals in the modern sense. Each pedal could affect only one pair of B and G# strings. Of course, cables would be different.... was Buddy's Bigsby converted?

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 9:33 am    

I sure would like to know the progression of Buddy Emmons’ pedal steels: Bigsby > Fender 100 > Sho-Bud. He is certainly known to work on his guitars including bleaching the Bigsby white and changing it from a triple neck to a double neck. So it’s possible he changed to cables and split the pedals.

So we know “Half a Mind” [6/11/58] is the Buddie Emmons / Pete Drake / Buddy Emmons Permanent. It stands to reason this [10/6/58] session 4 months later is the same guitar. [ re: bOb's fact check - I edited this post removing the version of "Walking The Floor" Charleton (not Emmons) played on.

“The Next Voice You Hear”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otlYq7LdNJI

Mr. Steve – Thanks for your kind words. I may be able to look up some facts and connect some dots but I believe the cats that really know are the ones that – in the past - put the pedal to the mettle - and today are putting the pedal to the mettle. What I might know is only commensurate with my career (which lasted about 5 minutes!). The cats cutting the records – working the show dates – making the broadcasts – are the ones that really know the story. Still reading some facts does enhance our listening – even when we listen again to sides we’ve heard million times.

Last edited by robert kramer on 31 Mar 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 10:20 am    

The Duane Eddy album is one of my favorites. I recently acquired a "like new" LP. Buddy's playing and tone are sublime! I rank it as one of the best country instrumental albums ever.

It's great to know more about the steel guitar that was used. I wonder what amp Buddy was using for sessions back then.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 10:31 am    

robert kramer wrote:
So we know “Half a Mind” [6/11/58] is the Buddie Emmons / Pete Drake / Buddy Emmons Permanent. It stands to reason this [10/6/58] session 4 months later is the same guitar. Talking about a sound being a permanent part of our DNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-0KHkf5V98

Also here’s a big fat intro from the same date:

I think that the first one there (Walking The Floor) is a later session, as it's stereo. Might even be Buddy Charleton.

Here's E and Leon live: https://youtu.be/nWmbFXJDHrM

Is that the same Sho~bud, before the name was burnt into it?

Here's the record I learned the song from. It was a single on a jukebox. Funny thing is, I learned Leon's solo instead of the twin solo: https://youtu.be/EB3CEgZwprQ

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 11:17 am     Not the same...

Hey Bob,it looks to me like that guitar has metal endplates on it,so no,not the"Half a Mind"/Pete Drake steel...

b0b wrote:
robert kramer wrote:
So we know “Half a Mind” [6/11/58] is the Buddie Emmons / Pete Drake / Buddy Emmons Permanent. It stands to reason this [10/6/58] session 4 months later is the same guitar. Talking about a sound being a permanent part of our DNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-0KHkf5V98

Also here’s a big fat intro from the same date:

I think that the first one there (Walking The Floor) is a later session, as it's stereo. Might even be Buddy Charleton.

Here's E and Leon live: https://youtu.be/nWmbFXJDHrM

Is that the same Sho~bud, before the name was burnt into it?

Here's the record I learned the song from. It was a single on a jukebox. Funny thing is, I learned Leon's solo instead of the twin solo: https://youtu.be/EB3CEgZwprQ

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 11:41 am    

bOb - You are correct. "The Walkin' The Floor" cut I posted is the later more often heard Charleton version. "The Next Voice You Hear" is the Emmons / Drake Permanent. The Emmons' version would be on the ET Bear Family Box Set "Yellow Rose of Texas"

The guitar Emmons' is playing on the 1961 Purina Grand Ole Opry is a later D-10 Sho-Bud. Great video!

Hope I'm not sounding like a self-ordained Know It All - I'm just into this stuff.