The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Silent Practice
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 6:45 am    

I have a NV 400 that I would like to run CD tracks AND PSG through and practice with headphones (silent). I bought a small mixer (Beringer XENYX 802) hoping I could hook it up to do that. However, the phone jack does not cancel out the audio from the amp ,,,,wanted it to put the audio into headphones INSTEAD of out the speakers. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I need?? I have tried NV112 and other headphone out amps,,,,I'm stuck on the 400. Need a way to do it into NV 400.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 7:42 am    

I'm assuming you are plugging the guitar and cd player into the mixer. Then you have the mixer going into the amp. And that you are using the headphone jack in the mixer. Plugging into that headphone jack won't mute anything.

If you are using headphones to practice, why do you need your amp on? Turn it off.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 8:07 am    

Well Richard,,,I guess the reason I have the amp on is because I didn't have enough sense to know that I could get a signal from (I suppose) the preamp in the mixer,,,,I'll be honest,,,it's tough being so technologically challenged in 2017,,,LOL.

Anyway,,it works,,,and thanks a million! Now,,, I have a plug in on the mixer that says "FX Send",,,could I use an RV3 and get that effect through the headphones?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 11:26 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
If you are using headphones to practice, why do you need your amp on?

Without wishing to hijack Sonny's thread, I have my amp switched on because I like the sound of its tone controls and I send the preamp output to the mixer via a stereo reverb.

I listen at the headphone jack on the mixer. In my case the headphone jack on the amp does cut the speakers, however. (I don't know why anyone would produce an amp where that doesn't happen...)

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 3:26 pm    

Hey Ian,,,your comments are welcome and appreciated,,,hope all is well with you. Unfortunately these old NV 400 don't have a headphone jack,,,but they have tone to the bone. They do have a pre-amp in and pre-amp out. Not sure if that could be rigged to headphones or not.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 3:38 pm    

Sonny - hope you are well! If you have a preamp out and poweramp in, you should be able to plug the preamp out to the input of your mixer the same as me, and it could be that a dummy plug in the poweramp-in jack will cut the speaker. No promises, but try it.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 5:57 pm     Practice

I use my laptop. YouTube is my best for learning new material. I have a small Crate amp with RCA jacks on top of the amp. I run from the RCA jacks on the amp to the PC headphone jack and I plug my headphones into the headphone jack on the amp. I am the only on that can hear me at home. Crate is a, RFX 15. $100.00 amp. Perfect for home.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:25 pm    

Plug your headset into the phone jack and your CD or instruments in the regular jacks then turn the master slider to the off position. This will prevent anything going to the mains but your headphone jack will still work on the mixer.

On the 400 put a cord into the Pre EQ out jack and turn the Post gain to off. Run that cord to a channel in the mixer.
Your ready to play with earphones only.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 6:11 am    

Quilter is making a 45W amp the size of a stomp box that can be used as an amp with a separate speaker as well as a practice amp as it has a headphone jack as well as an aux input. It is called a Micro Block 45 and sells for $149.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 1:56 pm     Nashville 400's

You can insert dummy(shorted) plugs into the POWER AMP IN jacks on the back panel with no problems. This will mute the output of the amp.

Wayne Galtier

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 7:49 am     Re: Silent Practice

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I have a NV 400 that I would like to run CD tracks AND PSG through and practice with headphones (silent). I bought a small mixer (Beringer XENYX 802) hoping I could hook it up to do that. However, the phone jack does not cancel out the audio from the amp ,,,,wanted it to put the audio into headphones INSTEAD of out the speakers. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish what I need?? I have tried NV112 and other headphone out amps,,,,I'm stuck on the 400. Need a way to do it into NV 400.

I have the exact set up. Nasville 400 and Beringer mixer. I called Peavy to find out how to kill the speaker in the amp when I wanted to use headphones. The trick is to come out of "Preamp Out" on the backside of the Nashville 400 to your Bringer mixer. Next get a dummy mono jack to plug into the "Power amp in" on the back side of the Nashville 400. Peavy says that is a switchable plug which will take the speaker out of the picture and still leave you with settings changes on the amp such as presence, reverb etc. Works great. My wife loves it!!!! I can practice quietly now.

Let us know how you did. !!!!

Wayne Galtier

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 7:53 am    

Sonny,,,,,by the way the dummy plug needs to be "open" no wires. This is to trick the switch in the amp plug port. Peavy told me if no signal is present when you insert a dummy plug the "Power Amp" in will be "fooled".

Wayne

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 3:13 pm    

I have one for you guys. I have a severe hearing loss. 90% in both ears, flat. I bought a set of head phones, back in 88-89, from Radio Shack, that had a pre-amp in them. They had a 9V battery that went in the band over your head, with a mon-stereo switch, and a volume control. These work wonderful for me to practice with, and still stay married. Several years later one of the speaker went bad, figuring I could just buy a new set, I threw them away. Well, guess what, Radio Shack stopped making them, and you can't find one like them anywhere. A regular set of head phones, won't take the volume needed for me to hear the guitar. I can't wear the hearing aids with the head phones. So now my dog doesn't even want to hear me. Any help?
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.