The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Packing Steel Guitar For Shipping - Another Example
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 9:53 am    

This guitar was shipped to me in the case just surrounded by a layer of shipping cardboard. This is the second Williams guitar that was shipped to me this way and both arrived in great shape with no damage to the guitar or case.

Being a bit more concerned about possible shipping damage myself, I shipped this guitar out surrounded by 2" thick sheet foam, the type used as house cladding insulation. You can buy the Dow Corning 4' x 8' for $30 a sheet or get the somewhat less dense 2" thick R-Tech foam sheets from Home Depot for about $17 a sheet. It adds about 6 pounds to the shipping weight of an S-12 guitar and it took just over half a 4' x 8' sheet to enclose this guitar. You can save a lot on weight and foam by just building 8 foam corners or just 2 foam end caps to suspend the guitar case inside the outer packing. I used 2 40" x 40" sheets of industrial double wall cardboard for the outer layer. The cardboard was was bent around a metal straight edge then the bends were hammered down. No cuts were made to the cardboard to form the bends! Some extra towels were added to protect and tighten the guitar fit to the case. Two wood blocks were also added to support the case partition between the guitar and pedal rack.

The guitar and case arrived at the buyer's house unscathed! Overkill? Probably, but it brought me peace of mind as it went on the UPS truck. Not a fast job to pack though as I spent 4 hours doing all the cutting, fitting and taping. (click for larger pics!)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:57 am    

Nice job!

Where can you buy the outer wall cardboard sheets?

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:58 am     Packing

I received a peavey amp from Greg,arrived in great condition ,no damage,you know how to pack them Greg,good job!
LH

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 11:17 am    

If you can't get the double wall sheets, just double up on the single wall ones. My sheets come from a discard pile at a local box vendor.

I've received some newer amps from Peavey and Telonics and they're packaging is just as protective as mine. The Peavey protective corners are super light, strong, will crush when stressed without failing and fully suspend the amp inside the box. Very ingenuous and low cost!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Shipping%20Amps/Shipping%20Amps.html

Many companies sell the foam corners such as:

https://www.plastifoam.com/stock-packaging/ezeecorner/

The sample kit would cover a few items at a lower cost:

https://www.plastifoam.com/catalog/ezeecorner/ezeecorner-ezeestick-sample-kit-testing-shipments/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 12:05 pm    

Thanks for the tips, Greg.
Late last year, I needed to ship two pedal steels. One was sold, the other (my Kline) was to be modified by the superb Joe Kline.
I also found it worthwhile to buy sheets of foam. Turns out a bicycle box from the FedEx store worked well, but you did some nice work!
Plus I've long wondered just where to find corners for shipping.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 1:29 pm    

That is a GREAT job Greg but I still ask how does a package handler, man or woman, (we have both) pick this up to move around. Just a BIG OLD BEAR HUG. I think some kind of strap with a handle would help out. J.R.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 2:04 pm    

That's a great idea but I always try to ship my guitars with handle out as J.R. stated, it gives them a place to pickup, usually keeps guitar is same position and makes much easier to handle. These little gals drive those trucks too and they can't bear hug a package that big and heavy. Most have dollys but if they don't, they probably wind up just rolling out of truck.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 2:33 pm    

This weighed just under 70 pounds packed. Ups handles up to 150 pounds. Handle sticking out is nice but you at the mercy of the handler to use it. ANY packaging can get a fork lift truck fork through it!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 7:36 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Handle sticking out is nice but you at the mercy of the handler to use it.

You're at the mercy of the handlers on the whole process. I don't think there is anything that's 100% foolproof but I like the idea of the handle being available for their use.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 7:37 am    

A good source of cardboard in large pieces are Body Shops,,,,replacement automobile panels come in large box packaging. Make end caps and then wrap the body,,,bending with the grain of the cardboard.

We've all seen the horror stories here on the forum,,,,but then I've also seen how some of the items I've received were packaged,,,,some I'm amazed they survived at all.