The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp for dobro
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 6:51 pm    

Anyone have a recommendation for an acoustic amp? Fender Acoustisonic? fishman?

I suppose it would be cool to have a phantom power option.

I have a Gretsch dobro with the pick up, and would rather not play through the board (at least in this current configuration).

Thanks!

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 8:21 pm     Dobro Amp

I use a Roland BA330 for dobro and it works really well .

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 5:23 am    

Any of the Fishman Loudbox family work very well. I currently use the "Artist".

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 9:37 am    

I have one of the tri-amped Fishman Loudboxes. Used it for dobro. Small stages didn't work real good because of feedback. The feedback features didn't work. Ended up putting the amp on the other side of the stage. Worked well. Trouble is, I no longer have a dobro.

This is not a blast on the Fishman. I also bought a Beringer Acoustic amp, and it did the same thing.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 1:03 pm    

Roland AC-33: Two channels; Hi-Z, Lo-Z Inputs; Built-in Looper; Other Built-in Effects; Stereo Line Out; Battery Power. Expect to spend another $100+ on Foot Switches, etc. if you want to utilize everything this unit can do.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:14 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I have one of the tri-amped Fishman Loudboxes. Used it for dobro. Small stages didn't work real good because of feedback. The feedback features didn't work. Ended up putting the amp on the other side of the stage. Worked well. Trouble is, I no longer have a dobro.

This is not a blast on the Fishman. I also bought a Beringer Acoustic amp, and it did the same thing.

A big part of the feedback problem is with the pickup in question. Richard, it seems to me that it has been a number of years since you owned a dobro. Was the pickup perhaps the Fishman "donut?" I used to have one of those in my main resonator.

That horrible thing is the feedback champion of the world. If John Cipollina were still alive, you could get on stage with him at a Quicksilver Messenger Service reunion show with a "donut" equipped dobro and give him a run for his money in the feedback department. Psychedelic dobro feedback at its best (or worst). Whoa!

Joe Burke's Gretsch has the Fishman Nashville bridge pickup, a 200% improvement over the old "donut" or the McIntyre Feather, or any number of dobro pickups from the past which are now obsolete.

Any good acoustic guiar amp as well as some keyboard amps will work. The cool thing is they keep getting smaller and lighter. I have a Carvin acoustic amp that sounds good, I bought it maybe 8-9 years. Not particularly heavy, but kind of bulky because along with a tweeter it has a 12 inch speaker, which seems to be about the biggest I have ever heard of in an acoustic amp.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 8:39 am    

Some years ago I was looking for an amp to use with acoustic guitars and I settled on a Marshall acoustic amp. I am not disappointed at all in the amp. There is a feature on the amp that I really like. It has two channels and you can come into the amp with a stereo cord and balance out the signals with the two channels. I have a few acoustic lap steels, including Weissenborns, that have two pickups. Usually an under the bridge pickup and a sound hole pickup (Sunrise) and I can really get a good sound with that setup and amp. Very Happy

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:25 am    

I've had great luck with the Fishman Loudbox. Were I to do it again, I'd likely get the Mini since I use it almost exclusively as a stage monitor with a line out to the board and I really have more power than I need.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 12:02 pm    

Yes Mark. It was the donut pickup. Not a good pickup at all.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 2:01 am    

Any specific ideas for an amp to use with a condenser mic? Or better not to use an amp with a mic.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 10:13 am    

My theory on dobros and feedback is that once the stage volume of the band get too high the cone of the dobro starts to vibrate uncontrollably. When that happens you might as well put the dobro back in the case. If you can't get the band to turn down, you can't use the dobro. It's not the amp or pickup's fault. It's just an inherent limitation of trying to use a dobro in a hostile environment.

I have two different Fisman Loudbox amps; one is the 250 watt triamped single channel amp that weighs about 52 pounds. The other is the 100 watt biamped dual channel amp that weighs about 25 pounds. The dual channel amp has an xlr input on one channel and phantom power. I used it for banjo with a clip on condenser mic, Audio Technica Pro 35 as I recall. The dobro goes in the other channel. A great set up for my acoustic trio. But I don't bother with the dobro when I play with the loud modern country band.

I should add, there is always a line out, or two if I'm using both banjo and dobro, that goes to the house. The fishman is merely my stage monitor that I can control without having to try to communicate with a soundman mid set.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 1:12 pm    

With current technology I can play dobro way into the "danger zone" without feeding back. Screaming guitars, drum kit = me + hearing protection.

Jerry Douglas Band carries a full horn section these days.

Technology is a wonderful thing. It's out there. I use it with no apparent issues.

HP

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 7:33 am    

I never used acoustic amps. When I used stage amplification I ran the instruments into a LR Baggs preamp and into a mixer and out a pair of powered speakers. You would only need one speaker. I'm an EV guy but pretty much any major brand powered wedge should work. The EV ZLX12P looks like a good buy to me. I have a pair of ZXA1s that work well for me. The 8" woofers put out more bottom end than you would expect. The newer ZLXs are cheaper and have large power amps.

Now we use IEMs I just come out of the LR Baggs Venue into the snake and I hear my banjo and guitar in my in ears.