The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hello
Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 1:56 pm    

I'm told that I should post something about myself here.

First, I doubt that anyone has felt less worthy to be in this forum than I. I'm 70 and retired. I played folk/acoustic in the 60s/70s (it was practically required) but gave it up to concentrate on building my computer consulting/programming business. I was part of the wave that convinced corporate business that there was another way other than "Big Blue" and big bucks to solve business tasks.

I always liked c&w music and the sound of steel. About 5 years ago I started listening to psg music on youtube. I was blown away by the raw musicianship and coordination it took to play. Watching Jimmy Day play was, to me, like watching Fred Astaire dance. So smooth and apparently effortless! Then I found a clip of Buddy Emmons playing "The Nightlife" as a solo and was STUNNED! How did he get a psg to sound that way?

Last year I decided to start fooling around with the cheapest lap steel I could find. I'm not even good enough to be bad, but I have fun learning some licks and trying to play along with slow old classics. I really like how flexible it is. When I find something beyond by skills, I can usually find another way to get something that fits well enough.

The only chance I'll ever have of getting my hands, feet, and knees on a psg is to build a "frankensteel." I've reached out privately to a couple members here to get help with the metal parts that I don't have the tools to build. The help and suggestions I've received from them is humbling. I'm so grateful that they would take time from what they do to help me.

On that topic, what I can't seem to find is an all-pull changer. I think hen's teeth would be easier to find. If anyone could steer me towards a cheap, good-enough used changer, I'd be off to the races. (and eternally grateful)

Thanks for allowing me here.

Marv

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 2:44 pm    

Marvin, rather than build one yourself, you'd be better off saving up to buy a Stage One or something similar.

Very few of us have a spare $1,000 lying around. When I want an expensive toy, I compulsively go to the bank 3 or 4 times a week and deposit 5 or 10 bucks. It only takes a few months to save up enough to buy whatever I want.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 5:49 am     Re: Hello

I enjoyed your bio, Marvin. Yes, folk music is a required course; Mike also has folk roots.
Pedal steel also has folk roots. Lap steel--the hard stuff--is a good place to start.

Marvin Raff wrote:

The only chance I'll ever have of getting my hands, feet, and knees on a psg is to build a "frankensteel."

The help and suggestions I've received from [members] is humbling.

The idea had a lot of appeal to me and many others initially.
I can only say that the hours, and sometimes years, spent in building a personal dream takes up time that could be spent playing.
I fear that building one would really turn out to be a humbling experience.

I'd take Mike's advice. The smoothness of a modern steel is something to be enjoyed.

Quote:
Thanks for allowing me here.
I've always felt that way. We may not feel worthy, but I've never been treated that way here. Glad you're here.

Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:44 am    

I know that buying one is the best advice. There's a bit more to it. While being right-handed, I've always been left footed. I was in a wreck many years ago that left my right ankle with limited use.

When I was finally able to afford a volume pedal, it became instantly clear that I'll have to have the pedals on the right. My right ankle doesn't have the range for the vp.

So there it is. A lefty model isn't right for me. There are more sensible options, but not for me. <sigh>

It's gonna be one "fugly" instrument.

I have the tuner. A p/p changer will be here soon. I'll work on the cabinet next. I know what the scale will be and what fretboard I'll order.

Any advice (or sympathy) about mounting shafts, rods and cranks near the changer would be appreciated.

Marv

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 9:32 am    

I see what you mean. Great project, I hope we'll be posted from time to time.

Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 9:46 am    

Thanks. I hope to post a pic someday.

For the record, I always try to answer a response. Smile

Marv