The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  anyone using Brads Freeloader for guitar ?
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 7:38 am    

Ive been using it with my hollow body Gretsch and it sounds good. Just wondering if others have tried this.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 8:00 am    

I use mine a lot for guitar when I'm playing both steel and guitar on a gig. But I even use it sometimes when I'm just playing guitar.

The variable input impedance can be very useful for subtle tweaking of tonality, especially when I want to use the same amp for both guitar and steel or use a guitar for other than its usual intended purpose. For example, I often turn the input impedance down a bit when I want a darker, smokier tone when using a Tele or Strat without heavy strings. Or sometimes I'll be playing an archtop or Les Paul with humbuckers and I'll tweak up a bit to get a bit more bite. I find I often prefer this to use an amp's tone controls, which I often set fairly neutral for good spectral balance. To my tastes, using extreme tone control settings can often unbalance the sound. Sometimes that is OK, but I generally avoid it.

For me, it's sort of like a tonal Swiss Army knife. One control, but it does a lot.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 8:06 am    

yes I agree. I have a jazz guitar gig next week and I've been practicing with it. It seems to tame the sound of my Gretsch Filtertrons a bit, I get get almost a flatwound strings tone out of my rounds with the freeloader. Plus it seems to even things out a bit, like a compressor but not so noticeable.