The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  STROBOPLUS HD - On Board Sweeteners - Offsets
Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 2:46 pm    

I have the STROBOPLUS HD connected to the Peterson website and working fine, and I can create Custom tunings.

However I would like to view the Offsets of the On Board Sweeteners - How might I do that ?

Ideally I would like to copy some On Board Sweeteners to the Custom tunings section, and then modify them to my own taste.

I know SOME of the tuning offsets are listed in the Steel Guitar Tuning reference, but not all, and the listings may not be accurate compared to what is really in the unit.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 2:51 pm    

Alan, give Sue Haslam at Peterson, she should be able to answer your questions, the best customer service around.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 3:03 pm    

Hi Malcolm,

I fired off a question to Peterson about 2 hours ago, but I think it was nearly their closing time, I will try to get in contact with Sue tomorrow.

It does not look like you can directly access the offsets for the built in tunings, however I am probably missing something !

I have spent a long time with straight up 440 with a few tweaks for the F lever etc..

Time to give the sweetened tunings another try, last time I hated them, to me they sounded so bad with keyboards and pianos !

Older ears might now be more forgiving..

Cheers,
alan..

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 3:45 pm    

e-mail me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF file I got from Peterson with the settings.

Better, I have customs that incorporate the Newman sweetened tunings, both opens and pedal/knee levers into one program for E9th (almost all) and same for C6th.

Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 4:09 pm    

Hi Jack,

That's great, many thanks..

email sent

alan..

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 4:35 pm    

If you are concerned about your tuning while playing with keyboards, you would be best off sticking to a straight-up, equal temperament tuning...because that's how pianos are tuned.

I know you'll need to tweak a couple notes a touch, but in your case, the keyboards can make a sweetened tuning sound very sour...especially if you play more than 2 notes at once.

If you really want to use a sweetened tuning then you'll just need to be selective as to which chord structures (triads or larger) you play, and when.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 5:03 pm    

Mike, I do respectfully disagree with what you said about pianos being tuned to equal temperament. A properly tuned piano is "stretched tuned" with everything below A 440 tuned slightly flat and everything above tuned slightly sharp. I have heard that from every piano tuner I have talked to. Now that being said, watch and see if they haven't changed it just to prove me wrong.

My 2 cents, whatever that is worth.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 1:55 am    

Alan, Sue was just back from Dallas Show yesterday, probably best to call today when she has caught up with all her paperwork from show and all the emails awaiting her.Jack is a great guy to get info from, he has been very helpful to me in past.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 3:10 am    

I find that Peterson pre-sets SE9 and SC6 work great for me on all of my guitars.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 7:16 am    

DG, I was trying to keep things simple. Yes, pianos are stretch-tuned. But the fact remains that equal temperament is the basis of the piano's tuning, and that's why I made my recommendation to use Tempered tuning for someone playing with a piano. Been there, done that.

Thanks for your attention to detail, though.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 7:41 am    

Mike, my apologies for messing up your attempt to keep it simple, my philosophy as well. I guess in looking at it (since the A is 440 based), it is really not much different than someone who turns 440 reference straight up and then "tweaks" certain stings to kind of "sweeten" it up to their ears.

Six of one, half dozen of the other, as long as your happy with your tuning.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 2:02 pm    

So is it OE9 is for tuning Es pedals up and SE9 is for tuning Es pedals down?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 2:39 pm    

0E9 is the Newman settings with E's at "0" (the original Newman chart).

SE9 is the Newman settings "sweetened" and E's at 442.5Hz (the later Newman chart).

George Webb

Mississauga, Ont, CAN
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:29 am    

Hi Alan,

The offsets are in a PDF file at the Peterson website.

Look under Support | Knowledge Base | In the selectable Product window change "All Products" to "StroboPLUS HD" | Select PDF file called "StroboPLUS Steel Guitar".

The offsets are near the bottom of that document.

Cheers,
George

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:44 am    

George, I sent Alan the Peterson PDF document on Steel tunings.

George Webb

Mississauga, Ont, CAN
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:58 am    

Hi Jack,
OK, that's good.
I hadn't seen any mention of them being on the Website so I thought I'd throw that in here.
Thanks, also for your custom tunings. I loaded them into my unit yesterday so I'll be trying them. I appreciate your logical/practical approach to the subject.
Cheers,
George