The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where can I try an Emmons
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 4:50 am    

I hesitate saying this because it sounds like bragging. That's just not my nature because bragging about what you own shows little class. However, I suppose in a way it can offer a point of reference that might show one has some experience with whatever the item is.

That being said, I have some experience with push-pulls. I currently own about 10 or so. I bought them over the decades in all kinds of condition ranging from "never left the house" to basket cases where everything is torn apart. One thing's for sure, every one needed some level of adjustment to play at its peak best. So, those in this thread who point out the importance of adjustment are right on.

I've also learned the hard way that, even mechanically inclined as I am, that letting a true, experienced push-pull guru work on them is just plain smart. There are a few around in that class but there are certainly many who aren't. The ones who aren't usually pepper the start of a conversation with something like, "Aw, a push-pull is easy to work on. Piece of cake." Something like that. He's not the one to touch your steel.

Unsolicited advice. If you get one of those sweetheart push-pull steels, and they all are, then plan a road trip to get it looked at and adjusted by one of the few who really know how to do it. The results are amazing. In my experience there is little to compare to playing an Emmons push-pull in optimum adjustment.

Me, I make the 5-hour trip to just west of Nashville. Mike Cass is one of the few and one of the best, in my opinion. Often, depending on what needs to be done, he'll tweak and adjust a machine or two while I'm there. When that happens I get an education watching his fingers fly while he talks about all things Emmons and music. He's quite the player, too. Humbles me in that regard for sure which, some would say, isn't too hard to do. But it's all good.

Those who want to try a push-pull can contact me here in central Indiana. Sorry, none of mine are for sale now although I have sold maybe 4-5 over the decades.

Sorry about the length of this.

Duane Noom

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 1:25 am    

Thanks Eric, You're about 4 hrs away. Just might take you up on that

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 5:07 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
A properly set up Emmons should be neither stiff, nor "mushy."

A stiff feeling Emmons needs to be clean and lubricated well, and I mean every moving part where metal touches metal, including where the hex pedal rod connector attaches to the pin in the foot pedal. The changer axle should be smooth and polished, and lubed; the roller bridge up by the peghead; and where the crossbars enter the front apron and rear apron brackets or other supports, and where the pull/push rods go through the swivels on the bellcranks.

A PP set up correctly does not feel "mushy" at all. This mushiness occurs when the pedal is allowed to travel further than is needed to actuate the change. This is because the machine screw on the crossbar actuator arm isn't touching the stop bar on the front apron. This screw should hit the stop bar at the same time as the changer raise finger reaches the cabinet or the lower finger hits its stop screw. Again, an improper setup.

I think the main compromise on a push pull is the slack that must occur on a string that raises and lowers. It has never bothered me and I prefer the resistance and throw on mine that makes me feel more connected to the guitar even over the Franklin which plays more like a fine tuned machine.

bob