The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So where are all the new Student Models?
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 7:53 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
When young people see a young face behind an S10 and hear that amazing sound on a song by a real band

Thou expecteth a lot. Laughing

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 8:06 pm    

12th of Never. Cool

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 7:26 am    

I just purchased a GFI Student model, after a discount for $1250. I've had a couple of Carter Starter's a few years back, this is a lot more guitar in a variety of ways. I think it is a very nice guitar for the money. I probably would have bought a Stage One if they were not backed up to the point of not accepting new orders at the moment. GFI has a model that might could be bought a bit cheaper, but it has less knee levers. There are lots of good used guitars that appear on the forum here from time to time. I would be very careful about places like Ebay and Craigs List though, it is easy to pick up a "bargain" and then have to spend more money to actually make it play properly.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 9:44 am    

Jim Williams wrote:
I would be very careful about places like Ebay and Craigs List though,

I agree, despite having had good luck on Ebay myself.

There are a lot of sellers on E-bay who know nothing about the steel and ask ridiculously inflated prices. I once saw a "genuine Sho0bud" Maverick there with a $1,600 "buy it now" price.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 10:10 am    

Yeah, I see a lot of those $1000 and above Mavericks go through. Although, I actually wouldn't mind having one of the natural wood finish Mav's if the price were right. Nice sound, just limited on the levers. I missed one of these semi-locally a while back at a good price.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 10:20 am     Pedal Steel for sale

https://fayar.craigslist.org/msg/6177853330.html

A nice 10string pedal e9 tuning with 4 knee levers and 3pedals. $975

Just a guitar I found... don't know anything about it.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 10:25 am    

I've had two Starters. For what they were when they were built they're terrible, but the knee levers are flimsy and one of them has a very long action...a real problem for somebody like me with short legs. One of the levers is also notorious for losing tune on one of the levers due to it's using a simple flat head screw into the guitar as a stop. (This can me modded and improved easily though.)

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 12:14 pm    

Jason King wrote:
I think a strong selling point of some of the high quality s-10 models available is that they bring close to what you paid for them if a student decides its not for them.

Was discussing what pedal steels would be best for a beginning player to buy with Nashville keyboardist Steve Nathan. Steve asked Paul Franklin to share some sage advice. Paul's advice was "Tell them to buy something they will be able to sell in 6 months." Laughing

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 10:37 pm    

I don't think one could be made better, for the money then the Zum StageOne, or the Encore. I would still love to get an Encore. I just need to sell a few, then maybe momma will let me get one. It is in the future. Doug gets slowed down. Got a little traveling to do in the motorhome, then back to getting it.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 6:53 am    

I wonder if root of the problem is not the price or even available models but rather the lack of PSG student infrastruture, rental oppotunities and payment plan availability.

I began my musical career on the upright bass. The absolute cheapest USA instrument that you'd want to own is probably the Englehardt plywood bass. New instruments built on kay forms/equipment here in illinois. They go for as low as $1300 new. Not the best tone, but they're extremely sturdy and sound good enough. I have one.

That's about the same price as a Zum Stage One. And the Stage One is a better instrument. The difference is that...

1- There is a student orchestra infrastructure in many school systems that creates a market for these instruments and an interest and understanding in students and parents.

2- There is a Rental market that allows students to bring a $1000 instrument into their home at a much lower rate. Even at a high-end private shop in Chicago, a student can bring home an upright for $175 for 3 months. If a student attens a school that has an orchestra the price could be a fraction of that for an entire year!

3- There are financing/payment options. Most rental agreements allow you to apply your rental fees for up to 50% of the cost of a new instrument and there are often other payment plans from music stores, either by a traditional installment plan or a store-specific credit card or credit line.

All this to say, in an orchestral or band setting parents are educated on how much an instrument costs and most parents don't have to pay up front for an instrument. The instruments that serious students end up purchasing in middle or high school are often the same price as (or much more than) a Pro-level steel but there's a whole infrastructure and system that brings parents to the point where they value such a purchase. Without that education and opportunity parents are often incredulous (perhaps even willfully ignorant) about the prices of instruments.

Lastly, I'll add that this is not unique to the pedal steel. My buddy makes his living as a guitar teacher and he constantly runs into parents who won't pony up 3 hundred dollars for a servicable electric guitar for their child despite the fact that it's almost (perhaps second only to ukulele) the most affordable instrument one can purchase.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 6:24 pm    

At my age, it is nearly impossible for me to see things from a kid's point of view. But if I try, I can look at my pedal steel and realize that it might look complicated and scary and how in the world is that going to be any fun. I just don't believe many kids are chomping at the bit to play and bugging their parents to buy them one.

I can't imagine trying to learn about music on it. Did anyone else begin their musical journey on pedal steel? Even a lot of great pedalers started on lap steel, or standard guitar.

On the other hand, I am having a great time learning to play, and am very grateful to the person who built my very affordable and very awesome S10. Without my musical background, however, I seriously doubt I would still own it after these 8 months.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 8:27 pm    

I have 9 Grand Children and 5 Great Grand Children. I can assure you the least of their interests is in learning to play a musical instrument. It is cell phones, computer, four wheeler, and their ass hanging out of their under wear. Learn to play an instrument, that's work. My fingers might get sore, my mussels might start to hurt. Then I couldn't lay around on Face Book all night, and sleep all day. What do you want from me.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.