The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emergency tool kit?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 1:18 am    

I'm wondering how many of you keep an emergency tool kit with your pedal steel guitar.I noticed that Chuck Back "Desert Rose guitars"has a magic bag with him at steel shows,and he seems to have every wrench,tuner,and important part a person would need...I am putting together what I think would be important for me to have with me small wrenches,pliers,Plastic tuners,string winder,tuning wrench,hex wrench...What would you need to have with you if you only had a banker's bag/microphone zip bag? Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 1:50 am    

yes, I always carry tools of sorts, always have. If not for me, someone at some point always needs a screwdriver here and there or some black tape !

Either in the seat or in a the gig bag. Not huge tools, I'm not doing a brake job !

An Allen wrench folding kit, Torques folding kit , for set screws etc, a small adjustable, Phillips/straight blades, small and medium, needle nose and small cutters, etc... I'm not wanting to rebuild anything on site, just trying to get it to the end of a gig if I can, which I have ! Smile

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 2:45 am    

I felt like an overdressed fool to carry a soldering iron along with everything else in my kit. Then one day, 20 minutes before show time I repaired the bass player's battery wires on his active pup guitar and the iron earned its keep. I also learned that I want nothing to do with any guitar whose electronics cannot be bypassed.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 6:58 am    

I guess, I've been lucky to afford a dependable brand. I'll not mention the brand as to avoid a debate on which brand is most dependable. But I've only carried the wrench kit that comes with the guitar and the tuning wrench for the last 30 years. I have broken maybe 2 bellcranks. But they were the ones the drive the entire RKR left. I load it heavier than most folks. So I finished the night without that knee lever and repaired it the next day.

On all pulls. About the only things that are going to break that can be repaired on the gig are bell-cranks and lower return springs. A small pair of pliers, medium size straight edge screw driver, and a pocket knife would get me through in a pinch. Your mileage may vary.

b.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 10:56 am    

I carry the Allen wrenches that came with my steel. Also, I have a Leatherman Supertool in my seat, plus, a small diagonal cutter to cut strings. In our band bag, where all the mikes are, is a soldering iron and some solder.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 10:59 am    

When traveling with a band I had 3 different sets of tools . In my Bar and pick bag.(hung on key head) Bars, Picks, Tuner wrench, tuner wrench with cross bar handle, String cutter/key wrench combo, Screwdriver to fit tuner screws.

In my seat, Set of hex wrenches to fit all screws on guitar, small adjustable wrench. Wrench to fit stop lock nuts. Long set of tweezers to get broken string ends out of changer, Extra nylon tuner nuts, Multi port power plug in, Several 3 to 2 prong power adapters. Oil bottle.

In vehicle, Extra volume pedal, Solder, Solder Gun, Extra cables. Wire cutters, Needle nose pliers, File, Utility knife and 2 or 3 12 GA. heavy duty 25 foot extention cords with multi outlet ends.

I never had much problem with my gear. But helped others in the band a lot so the show could go on.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 3:01 pm    

Doesn't everybody??

Don't get me goin'. Of course, you need to bring a basic set of items that assure you'll get through a gig if something goes wrong. A few strings of every gauge (I play guitar and sometime banjar too) in case one or more breaks, any tools needed to fix a simple problem on-gig, and so on. My gig bag has a full set of strings for every eventuality; and a pouch with tools, including at least necessary hex-wrenches, screwdrivers, std. wrenches, and pliers (to deal with intransigent pedal/pull rods - I have lift kits on all my steels, sometimes they're a PITA), Tri-Flow, batteries, volt-ohm-meter, soldering iron and solder, and a few other things.

I don't need them day-to-day, but sometimes, they're a life-saver, for me and my band-mates.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 4:35 pm     Tools

Allen wrench's, small side cutters, small screw drivers and a volt meter. I am a retired HD Truck mechanic. No need for any 1" drive sockets!!!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 9:31 pm    

After re-reading the original post. It might appear I was taking a dig at Chuck Back. That is not the case. Never met Chuck or had the pleasure to play one of his guitars. I look forward to both.

As I mentioned. I never anything other than spare strings and a couple of spare cables. The thought that my guitar might break down never crosses my mind. I knew if I did't drive defensively there's a good chance I'd be in a traffic accident. Should my car break down on the wrong side of town at 3am. that could get ugly. But guitar problems never crossed my mind till I read this thread.

If I were a builder would I carry a tool kit to steel shows? You bet. Because there's always someone wanting something added or changed.

If you feel better knowing you have a tool kit? By all means carry one. Me, should I go back to playing. I'll likely do as I've always done. If something breaks I'll deal with it. I'm not doing brain surgery. Just trying to play steel guitar.

b.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 6:55 am    

Since my only pedal steels are two old Emmonses, all I carry is a AA Maglite, spare strings, a string winder, a small dykes, a small needle nose, two hex wrenches, and Clem Schmitz' phone number.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 8:54 am    

I carry a string winder, a screwdriver with both Phillips and flat blade ends, a 3/8" wrench (for pedal height adjustment), 5/64 and 7/64 hex wrenches, a small needle nose, and a side-cutter pliers.

Any other repairs take place in the shop, and I just make do at the gig. I can play without a volume pedal if necessary, no problem.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 9:37 am    

I recently had a mechanical mishap nightmare on a gig. 800 cap room, sold out, live concert recording, film crew... My bottom B string broke but the real problem occurred from playing through the song. I was changing the string mid song but playing on the chorus's. Jumping on the A pedal with that extra slack underneath caused some rods to twist around one another and bind up the A pedal. Completely stuck. The tools were handy but so was the advice Jerry Fessenden once gave me. "Sometimes you just have to beat it into submission".

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 2:58 pm    

Combo needle nose/cutters, 5/64, 7/64 wrenches, campers head band flashlight, plus the usual picks, bars, strings, batteries, cables, power strip , 50' extension. iPad charger.

In a 10 pc. band someone's bound to have a screwdriver Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2017 3:00 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
... and Clem Schmitz' phone number.

Ha!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 9:37 am    

I always carry a few spare parts and that's why I like the Steeler's Choice seat with the side car. You can access spare strings, tuning key, vice grips, power grinder, etc. without having to get off your butt. Very Happy

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 10:49 am    

Power grinder?? Pourquoi?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 11:08 am    

You just never know! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 2:53 pm    

You should see the size of my pak-a-seat. Whoa!

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 3:32 pm     Touche!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 3:37 pm    

I carry every tool I need to work on my steel & my Telecaster in my gig bag, including a soldering iron which by the way, I had to use onstage at my gig last night when a wire popped off the battery clip on my overdrive unit.

If you have a PP,just a 16lb sledge oughtta do it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 7:51 am    

Carl,
I wish my shop looked that neat! Whoa!

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:06 am    

That's not MY shop, either!!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:39 am    

With a shop like that, you could build your own pedal steel! Whoa!

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 10:59 am    

I carry a small set but it seems all the guys in the band use them and I don't.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 12:28 pm     psg

I never go anywhere to play without my work/tool box. I keep small items in my steel seat but I also have a plastic carrier on wheels with the big items in it. Extra chords, VP, batteries, DD3 & etc. It stays in the SUV, unless needed. I also use three food containers with the snap on cover to carry bellcranks, screws, tools, small parts and anything else. These are kept in the top part of the carry-all. Wal-Mart sells the carry-alls. Mine was about 25 or 30 dollars. Straps to secure equipment I keep in the rear of SUV. Never leave w/o the extra NV-400 either.