INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics Amps Review
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post Posted 17 Mar 2017 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

Ok Steel Pickers, I have to talk about Telonics for a minute here. I have been very curious about these amps for a while now but being an amp builder myself (tube amps) I was of course skeptical. So off to Dallas I go for the show and I drag my Infinity into the private Telonics room and plug in. At first I wasn’t sure. JD was in there along with some other top players like Wayne Dahl and others. Then they brought me in the 12” model and things started to happen in a good way. Very clear tone and lots of bandwidth for each tone control. It was also loaded with lots of nice features like a headphone jack, Aux input, Dobro Sim, and the amp reverb was very nice to my ear. Big deep tones and lots of tone choices, I like that.

I have played Peaveys, Quilters, Walkers, MosValve, you name it LOL…

So, I pulled the trigger and brought one home. Dave Beaty is one great guy and provided me with customer service like I have never had before, quite remarkable to be honest. I even decided I wanted to switch to the TC G-Major 2 from the Lexicon, Dave says “no Problem Mike, just want you to be 100% happy” and I am!

If you are on the fence with one of these great machines do yourself a favor and plug in and play for a while and I think you will see what all the fuss is about.

Next, I ended up picking up a Telonics volume pedal used from someone at the show. Dave provided me with the updates for the pedal, I loaded them and I am blown away. For those who know me know that doesn’t come out of my mouth too often.

Anyway, there you have it, another mans opinion for what’s it worth. I know we all like different things and sounds but you may want to give one of these amps a whirl and see what you think.

Cheers from Nashville
Scaggs

Corry, PA, USA
Post Posted 17 Mar 2017 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Still loving mine! Great to have an amp with great sound and features and light weight. I got the 15" speaker with rack effects but hear that the 12" speaker does the job.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Amp/Telonics%20Amp.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Pedal/Telonics%20Pedal.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post Posted 17 Mar 2017 3:49 pm     . Reply with quote

the 12" is just fine. Good enough for Lloyd good enough for me LOL Very Happy

Alberta, Canada
Post Posted 18 Mar 2017 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Mike , could you post a clip of the Infinity and the Telonics?

Be really nice to hear that Combo together, if ya can,

Greg
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post Posted 18 Mar 2017 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Greg Derksen wrote:
Mike , could you post a clip of the Infinity and the Telonics?

Be really nice to hear that Combo together, if ya can,

Greg

Yeah Greg I need to do that. I hate doing sound clips with my iPhone so I will need to setup and do a real recording so it sounds like it should.

Locust Grove, GA USA
Post Posted 18 Mar 2017 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Yep, the 12" does the job. Good tight lows without being boomy. Great sounding amp.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah Greg I need to do that. I hate doing sound clips with my iPhone so I will need to setup and do a real recording so it sounds like it should.

Good idea Mike. As great as iPhones are they still produce simply awful sound recordings. It certainly wouldn't be representative of what the Telonics really sounds like.
I've got the 15" speaker and I played out with it again last night. It really connects! I've had more compliments on my sound since I got the amp than ever before.
John Macy

Denver, CO/Rockport, TX
Post Posted 19 Mar 2017 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

Love mine and love the 12"...I really can't imagine any improvement on this, sonically or feature wise.
Fessenden Guitars
Benado Effects
Telonics Amplification
Sarno Music Solutions
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post Posted 20 Mar 2017 3:14 am     Reply with quote

Welcome aboard the Telonics train. I've been using them for 7 + years now, couldn't be more pleased. Dave and the crew are #1 .....!!!...

M.S.A.on Facebook.
Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:45 am     Reply with quote

David Wright wrote:
Welcome aboard the Telonics train. I've been using them for 7 + years now, couldn't be more pleased. Dave and the crew are #1 .....!!!...

Not that it matters, but David, I thought both you and Mitchell sounded great when Scott and I were listening to you guys in the MSA room.

*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
*Sho-Bud Maverick 3x1/ *Fender 400
*Fender Twin/ *Peavey Session 400/ *Peavey Session 500/ *Peavey Session 400, BW w/Spiderweb
*SteelSeat/ *Li’l Izzy/ *Profex ll/ *Lexicon MPX1/ *Telonics Multi-Taper/ *Brad Sarno Revelation Tube Pre-Amp/*Rick Johnson Cabinets
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post Posted 20 Mar 2017 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, great stuff David. I am sorry I missed hangin at the show as I had to get home to my wife who decided that weekend was a good time to have an appendicitis! I also will call you back David, been a crazy week so far and it's only Monday Smile

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post Posted 21 Mar 2017 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

I picked one up from the show as well. Im really digging it. Dave took the time to go over the amp with me, feature by feature. Great guy. Positive experience with the whole transaction , Sophie and Ron as well. I couldnt be more pleased.

I got the 15" , and it sounds great. Im really enjoying dialing it in. Its dead quiet and has great clarity. Im using the Telonics pickups and volume pedal, and I think the combination is outstanding. The owners manual is by far more thorough than any other amp Ive owned. Very informative and user friendly.

Im looking forward to trying some other steels and such when time permits, but my Infinity sounds unbelievable through this amp.

Thanks again to the whole team , Im loving it.
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post Posted 23 Mar 2017 4:27 am     Reply with quote

Last month I sold my two year old TCA-500A Combo model Telonics and purchased a new TCA-500C, Mini-15" combo. The 15" speaker, short cabinet was not available two years ago, and the new "C" models have a few upgrades over the earlier product, but the short size cabinet was the important factor to me. Absolutely love the amp, and the Telonics team is first class!
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post Posted 23 Mar 2017 5:11 am     Reply with quote

I've been wondering, what are the differences in the 'C' models exactly? What sort of upgrades are involved?