The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please help me design some guitars
Dan Campbell

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 8:35 am    

My name is Dan Campbell and I have formed a new steel guitar manufacturing company called Caladesi Guitars (named after beautiful Caladesi Island which sits between Clearwater and Dunedin Florida (Tampa Bay Area). I have several guitars in the design stage and would like some feedback from all you knowledgeable players out there. Included in this post is a pic of the early stage design of the lap steel. Also please feel free to ask any questions about the current design. I will be out of the country for about a week and will respond when I get back.

Here are the questions:
(1) What percentage of players prefer a 22.5 inch to a 24.5 inch scale lap steel guitar? Your best guess.
(2) On console models would you like to see a 23.5 inch model in order to split the difference between a long and short scale since both have advantages and disadvantages? Or do you think it is better to offer two different sizes?
(3) On double neck console guitars, what is your preferred distance between the necks as well as how much drop-down would you like to see?

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. I already owe a lot to George Piburn, John Ely and Troy Brenningmeyer for their invaluable help.

Last edited by Dan Campbell on 17 Mar 2017 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 8:53 am     Re: Please help me design some guitars

Dan Campbell wrote:

Here are the questions:
(1) What percentage of players prefer a 22.5 inch to a 22.4 inch scale lap steel guitar? Your best guess.
(2) On concert models would you like to see a 23.5 inch model in order to split the difference between a long and short scale since both have advantages and disadvantages? Or do you think it is better to offer two different sizes?
(3) On double neck console guitars, what is your preferred distance between the necks as well as how much drop-down would you like to see?

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. I already owe a lot to George Piburn, John Ely and Troy Brenningmeyer for their invaluable help.
]

Well, you are getting good advice.

As for my 2 cents' worth:

1. What percentage of players prefer a 22.5 inch to a 22.4 inch scale lap steel guitar?

I'm not sure I would care about that small difference.

2. On concert models would you like to see a 23.5 inch model in order to split the difference between a long and short scale since both have advantages and disadvantages? Or do you think it is better to offer two different sizes?

Offer 2 different sizes.

One of my complaints with PRS guitars is the in-between scale length, and that's only between a Gibson and Fender scale.

Players used to the short scale and the longer scale would want models that fit what they already are used to. That has to be tempered by the fact that players are adaptable, too.

3. On double neck console guitars, what is your preferred distance between the necks as well as how much drop-down would you like to see?

Copy the Fender Stringmaster spacing.

Overall I like the small body design,

I hope you project goes well.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 9:04 am    

Good luck with your lap steel project!

I would like to see 2 scale sizes, 22.5" and either 24" or 24.5". Some players just prefer a longer scale, myself included.

However, that's not to say that 23.5" (splitting the difference) wouldn't be popular.

Can't help you with the double-necks.

Dan Campbell

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 10:07 am     thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback!
I just realized I had a typo in the original post which I have just corrected. The question: 1. What percentage of players prefer a 22.5 inch to a 22.4 inch scale lap steel guitar? should have said 22.5 to a 24.5 inch scale

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 12:48 pm     Re: thanks for the feedback

Dan Campbell wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!
I just realized I had a typo in the original post which I have just corrected. The question: 1. What percentage of players prefer a 22.5 inch to a 22.4 inch scale lap steel guitar? should have said 22.5 to a 24.5 inch scale

That's tough to say.

I play both, for example, so it would depend on what i needed or wanted at the time.

If I had to choose it would be the shorter scale.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 11:02 pm     You need these?

Hi Dave,
I like the guitar shape your doing.
Maybe you need a guy like me to design a special fretboard with polished gold or silver to match the hardware?
Good idea? Very Happy

As for the scale, if it were me making them I'd offer both as well as the number of strings, but thats me....

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Dan Campbell

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 10:39 am     fretboards

Those fretboards look great Andy!
Currently I'm planning to make them out of rosewood but will keep this in mind as an alternative. Thanks Dan

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 2:44 pm    

Some ideas here....http://www.jbacklund.com/buy.html

James,