The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little Walter Speaker Choices for Pedal Steel
Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 11:28 am    

I recently picked up a LW 22 watt head and cabinet for use with my Williams S12 ext E9th guitar. I was interested in the 22 watt specifically because I wanted something that would allow me to get some "dirt" in the tone at volume levels that aren't brutally loud. My other amp is a Milkman Pedal Steel Mini, and at roughly double the wattage, and much more headroom, has to be uncomfortably loud to start giving. Yes, I know I'm spoiled having both of these amps.

Anyway, I'm really bonding with the LW, my Williams has an Alumatone pickup in it, which is quite hot, so I get the dirt I'm looking for at a pretty comfortable volume level. Well comfortable for me, not the wife. The LW is loaded with a CV 75, and I'm just curious what the other pedal steel players using LW's feel about the different speaker options. I know this varies greatly based on the desired tone. I'm guessing most of you are using higher wattage LW's, and are looking for more of a classic clean tone.

Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 5:56 am    

I have a LW50 with a 2x12 Cab.

In the cab i have a Eric Johnson Eminence Speaker and a Peavey Black Widow. I like having BW as a really clean speaker combined with the EJ one will break up a little when pushed.

Gordon

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 7:36 am    

Thanks Gordon. I had given up hope that anyone had anything to offer about this. Maybe there are less LW users than I think. I guess I should start by doing some research on the CV75 that is in my cabinet. I have no idea what it's tonal characteristics are supposed to be.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 8:18 am    

http://www.usspeaker.com/cv75-1.htm

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 8:40 am    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
http://www.usspeaker.com/cv75-1.htm

Yes, I had looked at the speaker info on the eminence site. I might want to try some different speakers, but I have a feeling the speakers most typically thought of for pedal steel might not be appropriate since I'm looking to get a tone with a little dirt in it.

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:39 pm    

Consider a Tone Tubby hempcone alnico speaker. The BW will not give you the breakup you want. Any alnico magnet guitar speaker will get the job done. Choose lower wattage (aka 50w vs the BW 350w).

Hope that helps!

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 11:40 pm    

Thanks, I'll keep my eye for a Tone Tubby to give it a try. Love the LW amp more every day.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 11:01 am    

Most speakers compliment the Little Walter nicely, but the new Eminence PF-350 really shows off the capabilities of the amplifier and what it has to offer. I've used the Walter(in different incarnations such as the 50, VG50, and 89) with different types and brands of speaker in the past, and while sounding great and not taking away from the amp or the instrument, I felt there was kind of a peak in the hi-mid range that boosted presence and clarity. Especially in a specific, popular speaker style that we all use. While that's good to cut through a mix or band, it didn't show off the dynamic range of frequency that the Little Walter is really known for or is capable of. The PF-350 is more balanced and warmer. Some may say, "bassier" or, "Darker" but I'd like to think fatter. And that thickness on the low end isn't cutting into the higher frequency range(aka taming the treble or high mid or vice versa boosting bass) The Double T also sounds great with the 89' Little Walter.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 12:11 pm    

If you want a speaker that can adjust that breakup point. I recommend this speaker. I put one in a Deluxe Reverb. Sounds great for steel.

Thanks to Jim Sliff for recommending it to me.

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 5:29 pm    

I had a '89 with a Telonics loaded LW 1x15 cab before I had to sell it to pay for a new sewer line. The 1x15 sounded great but it is a really large cabinet to haul around. Not heavy, just large, and I couldn't notice a difference in low end playing e9. I wouldn't think twice about doing a 1x12 with the Telonics next time. Also, I know Tim Marcus has been raving about a new Celestion Gold neo speaker that he is using in his 50w Sideman models now. Worth a look as Tim knows tone!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 7:33 pm     Speaker

Tim Marcus really likes the Jupiter line of speakers. He uses the Jupiter 12LC in some of his amps. Check out some YouTube videos of this speaker. It's fairly cheap and might be what you are looking for.

Don

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 9:22 pm     Re: Speaker

Don Mogle wrote:
Tim Marcus really likes the Jupiter line of speakers. He uses the Jupiter 12LC in some of his amps. Check out some YouTube videos of this speaker. It's fairly cheap and might be what you are looking for.

Don

I have the 12" Jupiter in my Milkman Pedal Steel Mini. Maybe I'll swap it into the LW and see what I think.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 11:29 pm    

I've just recieved a PF-350 and been playing various instruments through it.
I have also had the Jupiter ceramic, EvM12L, various celestions and vintage Jensens.

The PF is very warm and yes plenty of lows. Rich sounding. Lots of clean headroom yet sounds good with overdrive.
Closest overall to the EV, but more colored.
The Jupiter Ceramic is very loud and punchy. (Too much so for me)
The old Jensens C12n or C10N are popular and break up great. (Not quite enough clean for PSG if the band gets loud)

EVs are good for both clean and dirty, which is rare among PSG type speakers.
You might try that.
J