The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  cobra coil strings
Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 10:16 am    

Anyone have any experience with cobra coil strings? Good bad ugly,or don't know. I really could use some advise ,I think.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 11:22 am    

The Forum sells strings to help keep this posting going. There is a choice of several main brands , including the ones Buddy Emmons used.
Go to the top of the page where it say strings and click on it.

They do not have Cobra Coil.
Cobra Coil is a good String.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 1:36 pm     Cobra coil

I always liked them..when I bought first gfi from Bobbe at SGN Vic putem on and sent it..Iever happier......going to get some more soon ....Bakersfield sound...nuff said...God Bless

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 4:53 pm    

Even though I'm using a different brand now, I've used Cobra Coils in the past and I thought they were very good strings. I can't speak about the Stainless Steel sets, But the Nickle Cobra Coil set was nice.

Don C. Smith

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 5:36 pm     Cobra Coil Strings

Started out trying different strings but kept breaking different ones, so I've known Vic
for years and he told me to try Cobra Coils and have had nothing but great results.

Larry Hobson

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 5:36 pm     cobra coil strings

Mike, Was there something about them that caused you to change brands other than the usual curiosity about another brand? Also, is rusty stainless stainless? I have some with rusty spots.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 10:48 pm     cobra coil

I've used them for several years,can't tell the difference between them and George L's. In fact Bobbe told me they were the same. I've broken a total of four strings (G#) on E9 in 8 yrs....sometimes I think it's the string!? I broke two in a row back to back re-string the old Sho-Bud a while back...it's good to have back up.
I like them and will still use them as long as I can find them,if not I'll use George L's.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 7:53 am    

Maybe I had a bad set but friend gave me a set several years back to try. Put them on my Emmons Legrand E 9th neck and they felt like spaghetti even when tuned up to pitch. Played them 30 minutes and took them off and put S.I.T.'s back on.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 10:59 am    

I think I had ordered a couple of Cobra Coil sets when I placed an order for some accessories with Steel Guitars of Nashville more than a few years ago, Larry.

I put them on and enjoyed their tone and durability. At that time I tried out the Jagwire brand after the CC's because b0b sold all of the various sets and individual Jagwire strings right here on The Forum.

Then after Jagwires became scarce for a while (I think because there was a family illness?)...I was able to get a custom set for E9th and C6th from Sid at Live Steel Strings and have been getting those strings for the last several years, and I haven't felt any reason to switch brands since.

Larry...I don't think I'd put on any string that had rust on it. Advanced oxidation is a broken string waiting to happen.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 12:23 pm    

I played S.I.T. for years, after I moved to Nashville I moved to CC, no other reason but the fact that Bobbe was in town selling CC strings.... never noticed any big difference, and CC worked just fine for me for years, and still do... no matter what strings I use, I always sound the same, never noticed different brand of strings caused any difference in my playing or my tone... YMMV

Joshua Tschetter

South Dakota
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 12:45 pm    

Always used them...always loved Them! Never any problems...and great tone🎶🎵🔊

Larry Hobson

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 6:20 pm     cobra coil strings

Thanks for the input yall,That's about the way I see it too. But, I still would like to know why stainless rust?

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 12:09 pm     stains on stainless

Regarding the stains...

"Stainless" only refers to the wrap wire on wound strings unless there's an exception I don't know about. The inner cores of stainless wound strings and the plain strings of a stainless set are not made of stainless steel.

That said, stainless will still tarnish. It still has iron in it, but it has a higher nickel content which tends to somewhat offset iron's propensity to oxidize in the presence of water. If it didn't have iron in it, it wouldn't have much affect on the magnetic field generated by the pickup, and would generate very little sound.