The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Rusty Young's first solo album forthcoming!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 1:51 pm    

Just heard that SGHOF member, Rusty Young, will be releasing his first solo album soon. How exciting! If you'd like to be on the list to get a notification when the album is ready, send an email to RustyYoungSolo@gmail.com

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:16 pm     Thanks

Thanks Jim. Looking forward to it. Put me on the list for the "Home James Again" Album too!

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:36 pm    

Great news, Jimbeaux...it's about time!

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 9:38 pm     Re: Rusty Young's first solo album forthcoming!

Jim Cohen wrote:
Just heard that SGHOF member, Rusty Young, will be releasing his first solo album soon. How exciting! If you'd like to be on the list to get a notification when the album is ready, send an email to RustyYoungSolo@gmail.com
Will it be a steel guitar, solo album? Rusty told me a year, or two, ago, that he had "retired", from steel guitar, after I had been to a Poco concert, and he didn't play, any PSG! Sad -Jake-

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 6:27 am     Re: Rusty Young's first solo album forthcoming!

James Jacoby wrote:
Will it be a steel guitar, solo album? Rusty told me a year, or two, ago, that he had "retired", from steel guitar, after I had been to a Poco concert, and he didn't play, any PSG! Sad -Jake-

I have no idea, Jake. He writes and sings so maybe it will be a vocal-oriented album? I'll write him and ask...

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 9:06 am    

Hey Jake, I went to a Poco "reunion" concert several years ago - Rusty was the only original member but they still put on a good show. Rusty sang a lot, told stories, and played several string instruments throughout the nite but only played steel on one tune, Kind Woman. I asked him about it during the break. He said that it was really demanding fronting the band and that trying to play steel at the same time was too much like hard work. It could be that in a separate recording project he'll have time to concentrate on steel...I hope!

John Heinrich

Whites Creek, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 9:06 am     Great news!

Jim, thanks for posting this, great news, looking forward to this project!
Single 10 2008 EXCEL "My Money Maker"
Single neck universal 14 string EXCEL
Dobro, Saxophone, Oboe, English Horn, Flute, Horn Sections, Lap Steel
615/828-1182 cell

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 1:42 pm    

In an interview published April 28 2016 in The Sioux City Journal Rusty is quoted as saying, "It’s not going to be steel guitar-based because to be completely truthful with you, a steel guitar record has a market of about 14 people. There’s no market for steel guitar instrumentals. There’s some steel playing on it but it won’t be based on that." I think there's more than 14 of us on the forum that would buy - but I get what he's saying.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 7:11 pm    

I just heard back from Rusty and the good news is that he says there will be "lots of both" steel and vocals on the album. Stay tuned! Smile

Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2017 5:14 am    

If Rusty writes a bro-country song, maybe it'll get played on the popular country radio stations. But I doubt it as he probably doesn't meet the age requirement of today's station programmers.

If his new album gets any publicity, I'd expect POCO fans and fans of '70s country-rock to give it a preview. If they think the songs are better than average, I'd expect many of them to actually purchase the album.

Rusty can do so much musically that I wouldn't expect or want him to put out an instrumental-only steel album.

But it sure would be nice to hear him include steel on some songs (maybe even a lead break!) and if he wanted to, show his steel chops on a bonus track.

Last edited by Dennis Olearchik on 10 Mar 2017 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2017 6:08 am    

Didn't Rusty decide to finally retire Poco a couple years ago?

Well I guess it didn't "take."

I was checking out some venues in the East regarding Jerry Douglas and the Trans Atlantic Sessions tour, and I see at the Birchmere in N. Virginia Poco is playing March 30 for $39.50, and there are other Poco dates on the band's website.

Isn't there supposed to be a "waiting period" before a band "comes out of retirement" and embark on something like when the Eagles did their Hell Freezes Over Tour a bunch of years ago?

I guess when the members reach a certain age they waive the "waiting period." Wink

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 12:19 pm    

Jeff Garden wrote:
Hey Jake, I went to a Poco "reunion" concert several years ago - Rusty was the only original member but they still put on a good show. Rusty sang a lot, told stories, and played several string instruments throughout the nite but only played steel on one tune, Kind Woman. I asked him about it during the break. He said that it was really demanding fronting the band and that trying to play steel at the same time was too much like hard work. It could be that in a separate recording project he'll have time to concentrate on steel...I hope!

Here's my weird thought on this - Since it is unthinkable for his music not to have PSG, what would it be like to be the steel player in Rusty's band? Whoa!

Joe Davies

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2017 10:02 am    

I just talked to Pocos drummer Rick Lonow and he said the record will be more singer songwriter type of music. There will be another next year that will be more instrumental. They've been recording at the cash cabin.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 10:21 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
I just heard back from Rusty and the good news is that he says there will be "lots of both" steel and vocals on the album. Stay tuned! Smile
Thanks for checking for all of us Jim! He's just too good, to just give up on the steel! -Jake-

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 10:26 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Jeff Garden wrote:

Here's my weird thought on this - Since it is unthinkable for his music not to have PSG, what would it be like to be the steel player in Rusty's band? IWhoa!
I think it would be like racing a Model-T in the Indianapolis 500! Laughing -Jake-