The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String breakage problem
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 10:45 am    

November , december were tough for me using boomers , must have popped at least 4 of them, I blame inferior rust that you cant see when puttin on a new .011,

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 12:09 pm    

Thy .012 Very Happy

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 1:56 pm    

Erv you are correctomundo, the 011's are made to change out kinda quick and then theres that one that last seemingly forever , hah

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 2:02 pm    

Craig,
I've had very good luck with a .012 for the high string. Very Happy

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 2:55 pm    

I've been using Jagwire strings now for many many years and NO I have NOT had a breakage problem at all. If I put the string on wrong and not enough wraps; I broke one once that way; but it was very dark stage quick change..bla bla. I was endorsed by Ernie Ball before Jaqwire and I also used GHS; Pearse; SIT; D'addario; Live steel; Emmons.etc....and everyone of those NON-Jagwire Strings have broke waaaaay earlier than Jagwire period.
If you are breaking a jag early; there is a prob. with something other than the string....> or it is a very rare bad batch....but I haven't run into a bad-batch of jag. and I have used many many jag strings on my steel and every steel that I work on; restore; refurbish that leaves my house and there has been maaaaaaany.....
Ricky

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 5:51 am    

Ricky, I have been using Jagwires for years and they have been the best string I have ever used.

As I mentioned earlier,there are no burs and the string is breaking between the finger and the pup so that tells me it's got to be a bad batch.

As a test, I put on a GHS two weeks ago and it's still hanging in there.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 6:25 am    

Breaking a string is not a problem once you master this technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbYxmzJkrLE

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 6:43 am    

She's somethin isn't she? I'd never seen that video before. Thanks for posting it.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 8:04 am    

Dick, I use GHS strings and have for a few years with exceptional results. They came stock on my G2 and I just stayed with them. I like the fact that they come in air tight plastic pouches which keep them fresh longer and you don't have to worry about rusted plain strings, which seems to happen when I am in Fl.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 5:32 pm     String Break

Check the roller end to make sure the roller is completely free of drag. Small amount of oil at the roller axle or pin. Also check the changer end that their is no small burrs in surface where string goes over. I play pretty steady all year and no problems with the 3rd string. I use a .010 gauge and been using Ernie Ball nickel wound for years.

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 6:56 pm    

I use Jagwires also and love them over every other brand. They make an 11.5 guage string. Perfect compromise between stiff 12 and weak 11. Ever since going to 11.5, my 3rd string breakage is way down. I think #5 18 pops more often now. Maybe worth a try?

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 8:15 pm    

You're not alone, Mr. Wood. I've had two Jagwire 3rd strings break also between the changer and the pup, although my breakage hasn't been nearly as close together as yours has been. I got probably 3 to 4 weeks between my two broken strings, but then again I'm probably not playing as much as you are. That was still a lot longer than I got out of a well known brand of strings on the forum when I believe they had a bad batch of strings. I will say that I have also had great luck with that well known brand of strings, as I have played one set of their strings before for 7 or 8 months at the time and no 3rd string breakage at all.

Jagwire may have had an unfortunate bad batch also. I'm CERTAINLY not running Jagwire strings down, as I will continue using them. It probably happens with all string brands getting a bad batch every now and then.