The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Duesenberg
Charles Dilworth

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 4:19 pm    

Does anyone have experience with setting up a Duesenberg as E9? Im seriously thinking of trying it. Probably would try to run 3 benders instead of the stock 2... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 5:26 pm    

Where would you put the 9th on the 1st string? Maybe just add a bender to raise the E to F#?

Charles Dilworth

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 7:45 pm    

Ok, so I went ahead and strung the Duesenberg as E9, using strings 3 through 8. Right now Ive got a half step bender on 6 (normal G# to A) and a full step on 5 (B to C#). So far , so good - Im going to practice with it like this and then probably add another half step bender on 3. The coolest thing would be if one bender could grab both 3 & 6, but that would be serious engineering....

Charles Dilworth

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2021 9:54 am     Duesenberg

Following up on some previous posts: I got a third bender for my Duesenberg - using on PS E9 string #3 (string 1 on the 6-sting)- to take the G# to A.

Man, I cant get anything that wont break - Ive tried everything from 8 to 11, and now Im having to drop the guitar to D9, which is not terrible given the integral moveable capo...

Still, Im going to take it apart again and examine those rockers closely - its breaking about 1" down from the rocker attachment - right at the end of the windings on the string. Ive tried adding another cylinder end, but thats not helping - especially given where the string is breaking. Any advice?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2021 9:59 am    

Duesenberg should give away the instruments and make their money from the strings. Smile

Gene Cornwell

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 12:21 pm    

Regarding string breakage, I feel your pain. When the original Pomona models came out I got one and the benders seemed like wire cutters. They always seem to break right near the ball end which I’m sure you experience. The fulcrum of the bending arm seems too close to the ball end and the string can’t take the pressure there.

After experimenting I rigged up this which probably wasn’t the best but it greatly reduced breakage:
I ran the string backwards through the top slot on the top of bender arm (The slot if you wanted to lower the pitch). I then ran it in reverse order along the top of the arm and then down and around the end. As such, the ball and was farther away from the part of the bender underneath.
Not sure if your bender has that.

I then wrapped it around the arm end and into/ through the regular slot hole.
Yes, it gave the strings two sharp 90 angle turns but I also ran the string through some thin plastic wire tubing for padding. (I cut off about a 2 inch section and old earbuds headphones cord, removed the copper wire and then ran the guitar string through that. That offered some padding which barely fit under the bender arm as it wrapped around the back end and under).

Yes, I know it’s a crazy but it really did work. Make sure the sheathing/tubing is thin.

I no longer have that steel so I don’t have pictures, sorry. I do sympathize and hope you can find a remedy. Good luck.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 2:39 am    

What’s the scale length on your Duesenberg? I recall seeing the specs for one as around 25 or 25.5 inch scale which would really push the limits on E9 tuned higher strings.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 1:23 pm     Duesenberg string breakage

I had a lap with the Duesenberg palm pedals and kept breaking strings.After much experimenting i found if you put at least 2 older string ball ends over the string so the wrapped part of the string is away from the point of where it bends.The wrap on the string makes the string TOOOO STIFF to bend and ends up breaking.It works,i even put on as many as 3 to make sure the wrapped part of the string is well away from where it has to bend.

Carl
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 22 May 2021 9:01 am    

Dussenberg are Rubbish. All it does is break strings. I sold mine to someone and got my money back, then got Certano , After two years the Certano hasn’t broken one string.

Here’s a picture

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 22 May 2021 9:04 am    

Dussenberg benders are Rubbish. All they do is break strings. I sold mine to someone and got my money back, then got Certano benders, After two years it hasn’t broken one string.

Here’s a picture

Last edited by Brian Henry on 23 May 2021 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 2:22 pm    

Brian Henry wrote:
Dussenberg are Rubbish. All it does is break strings. I sold mine to someone and got my money back, then got Cerano benders, After two years it hasn’t broken one string.

Here’s a picture....

Not really helpful to “dis” someone’s treasured instrument. I think that everyone reading this thread figured out that string breakage can be a problem on Duesenbergs.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 4:39 pm    

For me, string breakage is a thing of the past for the Duesenberg, with the use of spacer balls and NYXL strings.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 23 May 2021 4:42 pm    

Allan, read my post again. I was relating my experience with duessenberg benders, just like many others. Do you have any experience with duesenberg benders? Or are you the “dis” police?