The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Midnight, the Stars and You (B11)
Andy Costigan

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 9:55 pm    

here's the first lineup of The High Andies playing Anthony Locke's beautiful arrangement of "Midnight, the Stars and You" found on Wayne Hancock's recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFAtdgx2Kc

'crocostimpy' Youtube channel has a whole night (around 30 songs) of Wayne Hancock and his band (Eddie Biebel on lead guitar, Huck Johnson on Standup Bass) playing at Bank Street Cafe in New London, Connecticut, May 17th, 2008 where Anthony Locke can often be seen and heard jumping onto his B11 neck. Here they are playing "87 Southbound"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2va4fDnxpls

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 10:20 pm    

Nice stuff, Andy.

Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 11:28 pm    

Really lovely, Andy. Thoroughly enjoyed your interpretation of La Cumparsita as well, a favourite of mine on the steel. Smile Maybe I'll see you on that side of the ditch sometime!
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 11:43 am    

Just curious not that it matters but does he use his left foot for his volume pedal, i can't really tell for sure, but sounds great..

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 2:24 pm    

Jerry Byrd used his left foot for volume control.

Andy Costigan

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 3:45 pm    

thanks Guy and Levi. If you're ever in Newcastle look me up. Though Newcastle's a city it's more like a big country town but with a vibrant music scene.

Phillip and Erv, I use my left foot for volume pedal and I did get the idea from Jerry Byrd. I still like the idea of volume increasing with the foot coming up but switching the string rotation didn't work on the pedals i've got. I've got used to it now and it frees my right foot up to tap and keep time.

Anthony Locke

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2017 11:10 am    

Hey Andy! I am humbled that you would take the time to learn my version of that tune. You definitely nailed it. Looking forward to hearing more of your steel guitar playing.

A quick note about the other clip with 87 Southbound. That was from my first tour. My steel guitar is way loud out front but Wayne would always have guitar and vocals in the monitors SUPER loud and was usually all you could really hear on stage unless you had a good soundman. One of the reasons I started standing when I played. Very Happy

Andy Costigan

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2017 4:58 pm    

hi Anthony,
hey thanks. i hit a real flat spot with the steel guitar a while back and then i stumbled on that evening of songs at the Bank Street Cafe where you were jumping between your 3 tunings. It got me going again. loved the combination of you and John (Eddie Biebel) and the band in general. the guy filming was closest to you which would make you louder again.