The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My latest attempt to learn non-pedal. Looking for gear input
Mark Nason

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 4:51 pm    

I posted a "wanted to buy" ad a few weeks back looking for a cheap lap steel to get back into learning. One of the suggestions was to save up and go for something more substantial/better quality and I took it to heart! I've since saved up quite a good amount but before I push for a new "wanted to buy" ad, I thought I would do some research and get some input first!

So here's my story: I've had lap steels in the past but eventually sold them to fund other musical instrument purchases (most recently to fund a TV Jones Spectra Sonic guitar). Now that I'm satisfied with my guitarsenal, I think it would be fun to get something on which to learn non-pedal steel.

I like instruments that speak to me. As much as I'd like to get something like a King Pin/Allison/Georgeboard (which may be a lot more steel than I can justify), I'm also open to plenty others!....6 or 8 string, console or lap. Musically I am thinking C6 with country, alt-country, and a little Hawaiian influence.

So what I'm looking for here is input on what you would get if you were starting out with a pretty strong budget. Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 5:37 am    

With a "strong budget" you can get almost anything.

Don't assume the King Pin/Allison/Georgeboard are a "lot more steel" than you need - you'll grow to these instruments.

Plus there are many used steels around, between ebay, Reverb, Goodwill, private sales, etc.

I don't own either but if you can afford them, either an old Rickenbacker ( frypan, bakelite, etc.) or a Fender would be a fine instrument.

I'd probably get a custom steel from one of the new makers if I had a decent budget.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 7:07 am    

How about a double 8 Fender Stringmaster ? Great guitars , readily available for a reasonable price , say $1100 to $1500 on the Forum , hold their value , high quality build , and a great sound. I think they are more or less the standard. More guitar than you need at first , but if you are serious , you will grow into it. If you decide to sell later , you can get your money back...Jerry

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 7:20 am    

You can put me out of my misery and buy the Cartwright's Clinesmith.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 1:46 pm    

Hello Mark, I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions on what to buy, and a lot of suggestions will come from people who don't actually own the thing they recommend. I'm hoping Doug Beaumier chips in here because he owns many of the Instruments you will hear about and can give a true account of them.

Meanwhile, have a listen to a Guyatone D-8 which some say is a copy of the Fender, at half the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVll5SxZ7M

And a little Hawaiian influence you like to hear on a 7 String C6th, see if they talk to you. I have chosen these two pieces because they show the range of the Guitar, some Instruments die above the 12 fret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAE76yLxEA4

James Kerr.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 3:48 pm    

Spend a bit of time deciding about scale length. Do you want, or need, easier bar slants? Greater sustain? What did you have before and did you like the scale?

This will also help narrow your search.

Good luck and keep asking questions.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Mark Nason

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 3:51 pm    

Rick Abbott wrote:
Spend a bit of time deciding about scale length. Do you want, or need, easier bar slants? Greater sustain? What did you have before and did you like the scale?

This will also help narrow your search.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

What I had before was a Chandler RH-2 and never felt that it was uncomfortable.