The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1963 Fender Princeton Sold please close
Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 4:23 pm    

1963 Fender Transition Princeton Amp, Model 6G2, Black Tolex Brownface !!

All original except for the power cord. $2000 + shipping (fully insured) PP'D.

Original everything, except for the grounded power cord. (The original cord is around somewhere; hopefully I can get my hands on it.) December 1963 vintage Fender Princeton Reverb amplifier. This is a brown face circuit in blackface All original transformers, tolex, grill cloth, knobs, hardware, etc. Output transformer is date-coded 606315 and the power transformer is date-coded 606307. The heart and soul of this amp, aside from the circuitry, is from the first weeks of 1963.

The amp sounds GREAT. Everything works as it should. The original CTS10J4-1 speaker is intact. That speaker sells for $200-300 on Reverb. And it can handle everything this amp can dish out and then some.

Tolex is in mostly excellent condition with a few dings and dents but no bald corners, all seams still intact and with zero water damage. You can see that little mess at the bottom of the front. The grill cloth is original and in good shape if a little schmutzy. I have not made any effort to clean it up but I'm told it could be improved without hurting it. It is tight and straight with one small rip. Original speaker wires and jack. Every single screw on the amp appears original, including all of the little cup washers on the back panels. Chassis is clean and there are no extra holes.

You will be hard pressed to find one this original and this good sounding. I doubt this will ever go down in value, and you get to enjoy your investment every time you plug into it.

Sorry, no international shipping. Due to the nature of vintage electronic equipment item is sold as-is with no returns. Check my feedback here and on ebaY (http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISA...rid=sushidog&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=0) and buy with confidence. I have many years of experience shipping valuable gear across the country with zero issues to date.

Here’s what Reverb.com has to say about this amp: "The Blackface Fender Princeton Amp ("non-Reverb") is a highly sought-after vintage guitar combo, perfect for small clubs and recording studios. With built-in tremolo/vibrato circuit and 12 watts pushing a 10" speaker, the Princeton was something of a middle-ground between the smaller Vibro Champ and the bigger Deluxe Amp. The earliest Blackface Princetons have a couple anomalies -- the "tuxedo" cosmetics from using leftover Brownface parts and a simpler Tone circuit. By the fall of '64, the more common Blackface-era cosmetics (numbers on the knobs, not the faceplate) came about and the circuit was revised to have separate controls for Bass and Treble."

Last edited by Nick Koff on 26 May 2017 9:45 am; edited 5 times in total

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 7:45 pm    

i played through one of these transitional models before and the tremolo was the best I've ever heard. You can find all kinds of good uses for tremolo when it sounds that good.

Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 6:21 am    

This is a great little amp and nice investment. My first amp back in 1964 was a little Princeton like this one along with a Fender Music Master guitar. Still have the guitar and with I still had the amp. Good luck with the sale.

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:46 am    

Sold locally. Please close.