Author Topic:  my copedent
Lawrence Stacy

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 4:28 pm    

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Craig Foutz

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 4:24 am     Knee Lever Tuning Problem

Has anyone used a set up where the RKL lowers only a half step? G# to G was the best I could get, unless I go change where the rod sits in the bell crank. New to pedal steel, at this point learning to tune, changed the strings for the first time. Guitar is a Lashley LeGrande II. I had to move a rod down on the bellcrank to get the B pedal to throw far enough. (ran out of room adjusting the nylon bolts on the endplate)Thinking this is part of the same thing. Maybe my string gauge changed. Used Ernie Ball strings. It seems from researching knee lever tuning that most of the time the RKL is a whole step movement. I have no earthly idea what I am doing but I am trying to resolve things like this before I learn too many whacky things.
One more question, what the heck pair of pliers or other tool does one use for those tiny little retainer rings, I could not get the one from the B pedal back on before it got lost in the rug.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 7:46 am     Re: Knee Lever Tuning Problem

Craig Foutz wrote:
Has anyone used a set up where the RKL lowers only a half step? G# to G was the best I could get, unless I go change where the rod sits in the bell crank. New to pedal steel, at this point learning to tune, changed the strings for the first time...I have no earthly idea what I am doing but I am trying to resolve things like this before I learn too many whacky things.

I may catch some flak for this, but I'll say it anyway: If you're that new to pedal steel, and "have no earthly idea of what you're doing" (your words), I wouldn't change anything just yet. Play the setup you already have, and learn how to use it well. Only one of my steels has the G# to F# change, and while I know many players who won't play without it, I don't use that change very often. I do regularly use the G# to G change, though, because it gives me an easy minor from the no-pedal position.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 2:18 pm    

Craig, I see you're from Virginia. What city do you live in? If you're close enough, I'd be glad to help you with your steel journey in any way I can...

Jerry in Virginia Beach

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2017 4:58 pm     Copedent

My setup is kind Jimmy Day style, very similar to Tommy White, which is very easy to play (ergonomically) .

My Bbs are on RKR & my Ab is on myLKV

I am getting used to it daily...

Craig Foutz

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 4:23 pm    

Hi All, thanks for the replies. Jerry I live 50 miles or so west of Richmond, about halfway between Charlottesville and Richmond. I would like to use the most commonly used knee lever arrangement because I feel it would be the best place to start.
Looking at my instrument some more I found the RKL has a disconnected rod, where there is a missing E-clip, got some on the way. Time to stop typing and start making some music Smile

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 4:28 pm    

Craig you may try backing off all the tuning nuts,tune open then start tuning your raises and lowers.Sometimes those will get run in too far and it screws up the whole tuning process.Could be what was going on with that B pedal.Just saying.

Craig Foutz

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 4:41 pm    

Thanks Dave, when you say loosen up the adjusters to begin with did you mean for all the raises and lowers? Got to admit, trying to avoid re-adjusting the ones that are in tune and working. Thanks for the input. I can see how they all might need to start at a farther out point so that the ones needing the most adjustment have room.

Recovering Banjo, French Horn and autoharp folksinger.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 5:44 am    

Craig..I may be a bit closer than Jerry, I reside in Gum Spring (part of Goochland). Would be more than glad to get together and hopefully help solve your problem. One factor may be your choice of Ernie Ball strings. The sets normally have a .010 (most have an .011) for a third and wound .022 for a sixth (normally a .020 plain) so some retuning or reconfiguring may be required if you plan to continue with this brand. Feel free to contact me and perhaps we can arrange something for next weekend.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 3:15 pm     Setup

Ive been working my guitar..i came up with this. Iike t

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 12:57 am     Re: Setup

John Brock wrote:
Ive been working my guitar..i came up with this. Iike t

P3 just raises the high b and nothing else?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 10:59 am    

I would swap the vertical and RKL. The G# to F# on string 6 is used A LOT with the E's lowered to D#. Unless you can hit the vertical and LKR at the same time, and be able to hold one while releasing the other, you're losing probably more than 75% of the use of the 6th string lower. Or move the E lowers to the right knee.

If you don't have string 4 raising to F# on the third pedal, I would put it on. There is probably no reason to only raise string 5 by itself. You already have that change on the first pedal. I'm assuming it's just a typo on your chart though

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2017 12:29 pm    

Yes..thank you Richard..it was a typo...I settled on this for now...Ive been playing along with some tacks and I like it. It was never setup with the leftvknees like now and it had the ver knee of course but not acceptable. Thanks for your feedback..invaluable..God Bless