The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Other ways to drive a changer - curious
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 5:26 pm    

One advantage of an "electronic changer" is that it can be set up to change copedent - what pedal/lever does what - on-the-fly, reducing the need for extra pedals/levers for all the additional fancy changes one might like to have but rarely ever use.

Another advantage is that one can have true ET, JI, or whatever form for sweetened tunings one might like (or need), pre-programmed in over the basic E9, C6 or whatever open tuning one might prefer. Tuning all 10 (or more) strings to sound perfectly in tune (via electronic "compensation") regardless of what pedal/lever combinations that are activated, is something I see as a big plus for an "electronic changer" solution ... all but impossible on the "mechanically linked" PSGs.

"Lock levers" on UNIs (and regular 10 strings) can be electronic, leaving all levers for normal raises/lowers of chosen strings regardless of "mode".

Some "impossible" changes/combinations can easily be incorporated, for those in need of such. Anyone in favor of a Push-Pull changer with true splits?

I would personally prefer to have the normal pedal rods and bar in place, with all pedal/lever position sensors and wiring placed inside the body/frame. Up to about +/- 2 inch length adjustment for pedal rods and legs, should cover the height-needs for most players. Levers can be attached pretty much anywhere - adjustable positions, making "one size fits all" a reality.

With all rods, axles and bellcranks gone, I estimate the weight of "electronic changer" PSGs to be about the same, or a little less, than the same models with mechanical linkages.

Nathan French

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2017 1:42 pm    

Glenn Demichele wrote:
Do you have a problem with EMI (magnetic) getting into the pickup? I built a single-string thing using a solenoid. It worked, but took lots of current.

Did a little test on the EMI thing today. With a guitar pickup right next to a small stepper motor you can pick up the motor fields but 6 inches away it seems to be a non-issue. Obviously it will depend on the motor type but I think this is a solvable issue.

The audible noise of the motor, however, is concerning. I've got some options to explore there but I think my motor driver is holding me back.