The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Look what I found! You have one?
Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 11:23 pm    

Hi guys!

Just thought I´d share with you my latest PSG purchase. I wasn´t looking for this particular guitar - it basically looked me up needing a new home. After some TLC it proves to be a well sounding easy to play instrument. Sure, the undercarriage is basically pot-metal but all is in great shape and nothing has broken - so far. The guitar has very low mileage with almost no wear with respect to the changer or otherwise.

Guess you don´t see many of these in this condition anymore..?

Last edited by Sven Kontio on 27 Feb 2017 3:12 pm; edited 4 times in total

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 11:51 pm    

Wow, that looks brand-spankin'! Was it stashed under someone's bed, or what?

Great find!

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 9:40 am    

Actually there was this guy from a second hand shop calling me about it. It was a bit rusty, had rusty strings probably from the 80-s, it was really dirty and it wasn´t playable.

But underneath the dirt (after complete disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling) this is what showed up.

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 3:19 pm     Fender S10

Great sounding guitars ... Like a Telecaster with pedals
Unique tone. I own one ... love it.

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 3:52 pm    

Thanks for your comment, Ted! Heard you were selling these guitars way back when... My friend and our fellow forumite Per Berner told me he was sooo close to buying one from you back in the days... Have you had any problems with the pot metal parts breaking?

Last edited by Sven Kontio on 28 Feb 2017 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 4:30 pm    

I owned one for a couple of years until I got my Sierra in 1979. The fretboard peeled off after a few months. Also had a knee lever break. I was happy to see the back of it.

Arch. Sad

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 5:04 pm    

I had one for my first pedal steel. The late Ed Naylor set it up with 4 knee levers. It was one of the best sounding steels I've ever heard.

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 1:48 am     Fender Artist Series

Sven, over the years I guess I have sold about 6 of those guitars. D10s and S10s. One snapped off knee-lever was the only problem I have ever had. Adding a couple of aluminum stripes on the front panel gives the guitar the modern look.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 8:38 am    

Wow, nice looking Fender. I really like the way the strings thread onto the changer. Wonder why some modern builders don't do that? Sure eliminates the string winding from being on top of changer. Bet it does sound great.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 9:41 am    

Wasn't that guitar built by Sho~Bud for Fender?

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 10:44 am    

Erv: Yes, Sho-Bud made them as an one-off deal for Fender. There were 4400 guitars made. From what I´ve learned the Sho-Bud Super Pro actually was a result from building these guitars. They were made after the Fender deal was completed.

Ted: That´s also a really great looking guitar! Where did you get the aluminum stripes?

Jerry: If it didn´t come w/ 4 levers I suppose you got the Fender Student model. The one I have is from the Fender Pro series - the S-10 came w/ 4 levers from the factory.

Arch: Strange that the fretboard peeled off...

Greg: It sure looks like new! Thanks!

Henry: Thanks! There´s no axle in the changer. A different setup. Maybe that´s why...? It actually sounds great - in its own way. Clear, bright "Fender-ish" Tele sound without being too bright. Haven´t Heard any other guitar sound like that. But a push pull is a push pull... Very Happy

Last edited by Sven Kontio on 28 Feb 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 4:16 pm     Fender Artist Series

Sven, I bought the aluminium strips from my local DIY store, cut them to required size, polished them and fitted them with good quality double stick tape. Looks good eh?

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 7:08 pm    

Great find Sven

Make it sing

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 8:40 pm    

very nice....

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 9:59 pm    

Ted, it looks great! Makes quite a difference.
Ron, thanks! I had it last weekend on a band rehersal and the boys really loved the sound - said it was different from the pp-sound they´re used to hear. We agreed on different sounds being suitable for different songs - so I suggested multiple steels onstage...
Demir, thanks.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 10:01 am    

I had a D-10 Artist that I mistakenly swapped for a 1956 Colt SAA. I've never fired the gun, and I would have definitely played the guitar.

That guitar amazingly played like a Sho~Bud but sounded like a Fender cable guitar. It would be the ultimate Mooney machine, before the Sho~Bud years. Like the sound on the "Corn Pickin' and Slick Slidin'" album with Burton.

I did see Moon play live with Waylon in the late 60s and he was playing the unpainted frame Fender 1000. At the Troubadour in LA. Inspiring. Moon was at his prime at that time.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 2:09 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
I had a D-10 Artist that I mistakenly swapped for a 1956 Colt SAA. I've never fired the gun, and I would have definitely played the guitar.

Ha Herb, if I still had my S10 Artist 3+4 I would trade you for the Colt ! Smile

I had an S10 Artist here for a bit, a very nice playing and sounding guitar, and yes, other than the Fender Tuning head and the changer design, it was very much like my late model Sho Bud Pro 1. Same parts, same platform.

Nice guitars !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 2:57 am    

Thansk Herb and Tony for your comments. The tuning heads are actually Kluson DeLuxe tuners.

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2017 5:31 pm    

Sven Kontio wrote:
Erv: Yes, Sho-Bud made them as an one-off deal for Fender. There were 4400 guitars made. From what I´ve learned the Sho-Bud Super Pro actually was a result from building these guitars. They were made after the Fender deal was completed.

Ted: That´s also a really great looking guitar! Where did you get the aluminum stripes?

Jerry: If it didn´t come w/ 4 levers I suppose you got the Fender Student model. The one I have is from the Fender Pro series - the S-10 came w/ 4 levers from the factory.

Arch: Strange that the fretboard peeled off...

Greg: It sure looks like new! Thanks!

Henry: Thanks! There´s no axle in the changer. A different setup. Maybe that´s why...? It actually sounds great - in its own way. Clear, bright "Fender-ish" Tele sound without being too bright. Haven´t Heard any other guitar sound like that. But a push pull is a push pull... Very Happy

Sven, yes it was the Student 10. I didn't make that clear. Sorry about that!

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 4:08 am    

No need to apologize, Jerry! You did nothing wrong.