INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why use a combo amp for steel?
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post Posted 26 Feb 2017 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

Ever since I hung my MB 200 head off the side of my steel seat I've never gone back to using a combo. It is absolutely key for me to have all controls at my fingertips to tweak between and even during songs. Having a separate cab also allows me to place the speaker at the ideal 10' from me.

I've since sold the MB and built a separate head for my tube amp.

Seems time like a rack or head is the best way to go for a stationary seated steel player. Why are there still so many combo users out there? Is the combo an intentional choice or just the default?

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post Posted 26 Feb 2017 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

I use a rack a lot, but on a small confined stage a Combo amp can be quite useful. I have both so it depends on the venue a lot.
Beard MA6 Reso, 72 Gretsch Chet Atkins Nashville, Tomkins B-Bender Tele, Taylor T5, Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Steel Seat, Red Dirt Cases.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post Posted 26 Feb 2017 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

One advantage of combo amps, of course, is having built-in effects, which the MB200 doesn't have. What do you use for effects, Rick, and where do you put them? Pedals on the floor?

www.JimCohen.com
www.BeatsWalkin.com
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania
Post Posted 26 Feb 2017 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

1. You only have to carry one amp.

2. I tend to like the standard Fender/Peavey half-open-back dispersal pattern better than the typical head/closed-back-cab configuration for steel.

3. Double-down on #2 for guitar, which I usually play.

4. I really like Princeton/Deluxe/Vibrolux/Twin Reverbs, a 4x10" Bassman, and a Session 400 a lot for most anything, and pick the amp based on what stage volume I'm gonna need.

5. These days, I'm using a Fryette Power Station (which fits in a laptop case) for guitar/steel gigs. Bypass for steel, engage with preset volumes/tones for guitar. So the amp volume is generally pretty cranked and I can get enough control with a Sarno Freeloader and the Fryette to do anything I need.

6. Did I mention, you only have to carry one amp?

I have a few heads/cabs - '68 Showman, Little Walter 50W, THD. They're nice, and I use them sometimes. But I tend to gravitate back to my old Fenders or Session 400.
Dave Meis

Washington, USA
Post Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with Dave above on points 1,2 and 6, and I,too, like the semi-open back. I have an array of combos for different guitars/venues, and I also have rack/cab and old BF Fender piggy-backs, but the combos are my go to. Easier to move one thing. Less wire, less mess, smaller footprint.. and, when I crank it up, I hear a 'dynamic' when the speaker is shakin' the tubes! Smile

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post Posted 7 Mar 2017 7:58 am     Reply with quote

In addition to the reasons Dave listed:

Depending on whether or not you use a solid-state or a tube amp, a bad speaker cord can wipe out the amp. No chance of that with a combo setup. (You also never forget the speaker cord.) And on most all the gigs I play, having my speaker 10 feet away would mean it's either off the stage or behind the drummer. Oh Well
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post Posted 7 Mar 2017 8:32 am     Reply with quote

For me it's about getting into and out of the club with as few a pieces as possible. I set the tone and maybe adjust the reverb and I'm done for the rest of the night.

I did the rack thing which got old with 5 pieces to deal with.

Northern California
Post Posted 7 Mar 2017 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Short wire goes from guitar to volume pedal. Long wire goes from volume pedal to amp. Plug amp into power. Done! Simple. That's why I prefer a combo amp.

I position the amp about 3 feet behind me on the right, so I can reach the controls if necessary.

church hill tn
Post Posted 7 Mar 2017 9:21 am     carry Reply with quote

man I don't want to carry all that extra cabs and rack around

if you got a good back that's great I don't

mike
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post Posted 7 Mar 2017 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, fellas!

I would never carry around a heavy or bulky rack. Having a 6 rack and heavy cabs makes no sense to me.

For a while I had an MB200 head with reverb and delay pedals velcroed on the top of the head. I stuck the head in the back of my compact 15" neo cab to carry. On some gigs I wouldn't bring a separate seat so I could carry steel in one hand and amp and cab in the other without breaking a sweat.

Now I use the same lightweight cab with my tube amp head, which has on board reverb.

I get the point about the Peavey or Fender amp being a discrete unit. Personally, if I loved the amp that much I would still separate the head and build a lighter cab, but to each their own.

Corry, PA, USA
Post Posted 7 Mar 2017 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

A lot depends on the gig. I once played a gig for 5 years straight and rarely carried my amp home. Having a Walker Stereo Steel as a wall of stereo sound for that gig was awesome. I'd also have a combo amp at home I could carry out for fill in gigs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post Posted 8 Mar 2017 1:43 am     Reply with quote

Everything within reach, combo amp, effects.
All fit on the steel case for the right height.
Pretty compact?

http://www.myspace.com/hoedownband
http://www.myspace.com/tokelahoedown
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 8 Mar 2017 8:17 am     Split it Up. Reply with quote

A Twin w/JBL's is just to Heavy. So, I built my own cabs.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC..
Post Posted 9 Mar 2017 2:54 am     Reply with quote

interesting question.

Why use a combo amp...??

well, it's an amp and a speaker in a single box . If it's easy to transport and sounds good, why not ?

I personally now carry TWO small combo amps to most gigs. A PV Nashville 112 and a Fender Blues Jr. Both very lite-weight and both serve a totally different purpose. One is 100% dedicated for Steel the other is 100% dedicated to the Telecasters. Totally different sounds. No more fighting an amp to seek the sound I am looking for, for either Steel or Telecasters.

On the larger stage gigs I carry a Fender HR Deville, it covers both the Steel and the Telecaster just fine. On the larger stage STEEL only gigs I carry a Nashville 400.

I guess the bottom line is, we bring what we want to use and are comfortable with. An amp is a tool, it's probable that ONE amp does not cover all situations.

PS: I also own a GK MB200, very workable with the Steel ,but for the Telecaster, not so much. Great Bass amp though.

Emmons Steels, Fender Telecasters
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post Posted 10 Mar 2017 12:04 pm     Mb500 Reply with quote

MB500 mounted on left side of seat, effects on right guitar leg, easy to adjust anything any time, speaker approx 6 feet behind

I am an Authorized Dealer For" LIVESTEEL" Steel Guitar Strings. Email rthomas17@nc.rr.com or call or text 919-920-5482,Click here on the Steel Guitar Forum for detailed Information http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=308704
Text rayssteel@gmail.com
James Phillips

Michigan, USA
Post Posted 10 Mar 2017 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

All I need for most pub gigs, and smooths out the sounds from the digi pedal.
I'm mister analog ,but they have come a long way with the amp modeling.
..,Oh, and a chair Winking

"Let the Bridges We Burn Light the Way"
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post Posted 11 Mar 2017 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

I carry 2 amps because I run a stereo delay, ping-ponging the wet & dry signal between 2 amps. Doesn't work with gigs where the amp is miked, but for what the gigs pay in Florida, they're lucky I even bring the steel at all!
'89 Custom Shop Telecaster
'61 Gibson SG/Les Paul
'74 Precision bass
'77 Guild D-50
Gold Star GF85 5-string banjo
Peavey Renown 1-15"
'76 Fender Twin Reverb w/JBLs
Peavey Classic 50 1-15"
'65 Ampeg Gemini II
Fender Rumble 200
Fender Sidekick Switcher
Hartke amp