The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would your choice of a new steel be
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 5:22 pm    

If you could pick any new steel on the market today. Price no consideration. Has to be currently under production. What would you chose

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 5:37 pm    

Mullen or Show Pro.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 5:43 pm    

I'd be curious to check out one of the new, light, high-tech Excels. Beyond that, though, I think I prefer my MSA Millennium to anything on the market today - light weight, stable body, etc. Maybe a Fulawka? But I'm not sure if Ed is still taking orders.

Edit: it just occurred to me that both of the builders I mention are in their 80's. I wonder where the next round of innovation in the PSG world will come from.

Last edited by Douglas Schuch on 25 Feb 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 5:49 pm    

Sho-Pro or Fessenden. I like the guitars and the guys that build them. Not to say that the others builders don't make great guitars. It's just that I have had pleasant dealings with them.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:20 pm    

My Excel packs the best tone and most function into the smallest lightest and best sounding package I've ever played:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html

No one guitar has the best in class of everything but this would be my choice. There are many other great choices based on what features are most important to you. There are at least 4 other brands of guitars I would be 100% satisfied with including Williams, Mullen, MSA and Infinity.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 25 Feb 2017 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:22 pm    

Show Pro!!!

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:41 pm    

Greg. Does that option come with a keyed model. Have you saw the JET10 tuning BMI has. I'm using I guess what I would call a universal 10. I have no 7th or 9th string. My ninth and 10 are G# and E. I like it. The JET10 is close but puts a C# between the E and B and the ten us G#.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:51 pm    

Not sure about a keyed model. Mine has all 10 of the classic E9th strings, no compromises with two more bonus strings. With the simple throw of a lever I get a full 10 string classic C6 , no compromises and two more bonus chromatic strings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 6:56 pm    

You have any opinion between the sound difference of a 10 and 12.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 7:05 pm    

How about Justice?

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 7:08 pm    

I'm playing a justice and really like the sound

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:32 pm     new dream guitar?

Another Excel Superb, keyless, 25.5"scale, much like my current guitar, but single body U12 instead of double. I would add two more knees in the centre,for 8X7 total.
I would also see if Fuzzy could make the lock lever change the functions of the right knees for pure B6 playing. (Probably a piece of cake for Fuzzy)

Last but not least, two pickups with a tele style control plate: volume, tone, 3 way pickup switch.
Colour? Robin's egg blue.

P.S. Sounds like Greg has fallen in love. Didn't take long.... Smile

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:34 pm    

MSA
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 11:19 pm    

Don't forget Desert Rose. Chuck builds quality gtrs that play and sound great...plus they're really easy on the eyes.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 11:26 pm    

I've seen a lot of very good comments about the Rittenberry steels, so I'd probably go for a Rittenberry D10. Mullens are also seriously good steels - but I already have one.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 12:24 am    

I'd get another MSA, a "Blue Darlin" Legend.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 1:02 am     I Can Only Dream.

Sho-Pro, Justice, Shlid come to mind. Fortunately, my "Old Road Dog" Emmons LGII still plays and sounds good for a 22yr. old guitar. So my final steel guitar is this one, and after pickin' this baby for 12yrs., it's a keeper.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 1:17 am    

It won't make any difference what steel you get, you will still sound like you.

I was watching a youtube video recently, Tom Brumley playing a Legrande, he sounded exactly like he did when he played a Mullen, and when he played an Annapeg (imho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBhMLjIawcM

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 2:32 am    

You will sound similar on different steels but there is a difference. Listen to david hartley. He sounds similar on different steels. Same touch. Same touch but different. If you can't hear it don't worry about it. Years ago in the 70s sho bud and emmons were primarily all that was available to me. Please don't tell me there was no difference in sound. Was one better. No. Different. I've read that lately they all sound the same. I just dissagree

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 4:18 am     best psg

I'd take one of each !

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 4:34 am    

For a current production guitar I would pick a Williams.... They are about as close to what I currently play which is no longer available.

Robert

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 5:03 am    

On the basis of mechanical features and cool engineering, the top of the heap appear to me to be, in no particular order: MSA, Williams, WBS, Schild and Sheffield. Those who dig vintage vibe shouldn't forget Jackson or Kevin Hatton and his new ZB style guitars.
On the basis of "OMG, what a gorgeous combination art and machine", the ones that spring to mind are, in no particular order: Sheffield, Ben-Rom, Williams, Show-Pro, Desert Rose, the Giles-body MSA and the Desert Rose. WBS and Schild get a special mention for taking the simple, sleek aesthetic of the original mica Emmons to a little bit farther.

The makers not in those two lists of outstanding are still damn fine guitars and I'd proudly play all but one, whose builder has personally left a bad taste in my mouth (two if you count Voldemort). And I'd still play one of those, but I'd rebadge and refretboard.

Generally speaking, Ford, Kia and Chevy don't count among the "OMG, I am in love with this car" but I'd buy another Kia in a heartbeat

Last edited by Lane Gray on 26 Feb 2017 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 5:20 am    

The Judge by Justice

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 6:47 am    

Hard call

MSA Mullen

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:00 am    

Fulawka,Ben Rom, or one of Kevin Hatton's ZB tributes.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......