The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Value of "The Blade"
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 7:13 pm    

I ask this question a long time ago and thought that I would ask your thoughts again. some vintage p/p's have a high price tag. And although they are very rare and carefully restored, some have no significant history. Considering the history of The Blade, what price tag do you think would be on it in it's original, as-is condition? If The Blade was yours and you wanted to sell it, what would be your asking price?

Mitch

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 7:17 pm    

If I owned the Blade, I'm pretty sure the price would be up to my widow.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 2:24 am    

I would consign it to a museum, probably the Country Music Hall of Fame. As famous as Buddy is, was, overall, people outside of the BOX have no clue who he was or what the BLADE represents. Placing the "BLADE" in a museum with the appropriate historical content of BUDDY and what he has accomplished , to me, far outweighs any monetary value because the story is about BUDDY while the BLADE , as important as it is , is just part of the story.

I would consign the instrument for display based on the how the story reads.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 4:42 am    

I've never understood the high value placed on vintage guitars and amps. Even more so the value placed on a certain player's equipment. Almost all of the magic that went into a certain famous recording or getting a certain style or sound was due to the player, not the equipment. A "famous" guitar or amp minus the famous player playing it, is pretty much just like any other guitar of the same vintage. I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but the magic is in the players ability and charisma, the instrument is just a really nice piece of musical equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:01 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I've never understood the high value placed on vintage guitars and amps.

Although I don't necessarily agree with that phenomenon, I can understand it. Especially if it's an instrument of high quality that is out of production, or one built by a heritage manufacturer before they were taken over by MBAs and stamped out like cookies with CNC machinery and sold at exorbitant price points.

What I do fail to understand is the high prices for cheap imported instruments that have been defaced by a Sharpie with the signature of some marginal musician of the month sporting spandex and hair or ripped Levis and a cowboy hat.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:23 am    

I owned a Big Jim Vest Sho-Bud for a while. It was an awesome guitar build by Paul Franklin Sr and Jim is an awesome player with a lot of hit sounds. To me, I bought this guitar as a player and it had value as a well constructed instrument. I'm sure BJV could have created the same hit sounds on many other guitars and his owning it had no value to me. I understand from Bobbe that it was used on Paycheck's Take This Job and Shove It. Still, that means little to me. It wasn't the guitar that played all the great riffs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 8:25 am     blade

What Greg said!!!!! Very Happy

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 9:30 am    

What Clark said about what Greg said!!!
To me it would be like cherishing a hammer because Bob Vila owned it.
It is just a tool.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 9:59 am    

It would be worth more to me had I bought it direct from Buddy or his estate. The more owners it has, the less it would be worth to me. It's value. I would guess 10 to 20K. Though some would ask 50 or even 100 k for i

b.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 1 Dec 2017 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 7:10 pm    

I have a couple of so called " vintage " guitars in the house. And, they are honest vintage guitars, owned by me, a nobody. I suppose if and when I sell them, a collector might want them. I assume they're worth some bucks to somebody. However, I would have liked to own a steel or two from one of my hero's. but, I'm never in the loop to purchase one of these steels. They're always gone before I know it. If it ever occurs, I will not just look at it, but, play it like it was supposed to be played. Deep within my inner self, it would be nice to know, that, I had a steel to use from one of my hero's.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 7:49 pm    

I had a 1969 Fender Stratocaster and traded it for new American Deluxe Strat with noiseless pickups. I received a lot of flak about this and my response was " the newer strat had 30 plus years of advanced engineering which is reflected in its tone , ease of playing and maintenance.

Not to degrade the older strat because it was a great guitar. the new one is just better.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 3:26 am     Re: Value of

Mitch Ellis wrote:
some vintage p/p's have a high price tag. And although they are very rare and carefully restored, some have no significant history.

none of $250,000.00 vintage martin guitars have no significant history either ... I wonder Rolling Eyes

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 4:44 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
It would be worth more to me had I bought it direct from Buddy or his estate. The more owners it has, the less it would be worth to me. It's value. I would guess 10 to 20K. Though some would ask 50 or even 100 k for it.

It's a great sounding guitar. I'd rather know it's being played. By someone who can play. Than be stuck with a collector. If my info is correct. It has the perfect home. Smile Just the way Buddy wanted.

b.

Who has it, can you tell? I heard from I suspect a reliable source that it was left to his son. Several years ago I contemplated, per se explored if it would ever be for sale...I own Pee Wee Rogers 73 cut tail that he used on the Opry with Little Jimmy Dickens, I play it every day, to me it the tone this guitar has is the most important, yes that it is true that it's not the arrow but the Indian, but a crooked arrow ain't worth much and I can assure you these great guitars had the tone these legendary players sought, we all have to bond with the guitar for the most part. Here is Pee Wee's guitar in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgrC8OGBKWU

Glad Mr. Emmons' guitar is being used for what is intended, remember we never really own anything..just borrow it

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:05 am    

Any instrument, house, or piece of property is worth whatever someone,whether we think they're right or wrong, is willing to pay for it. For whatever reason. That being said, I'm not one who would do that and I think it's foolish.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:00 am    

this is one of those threads that have been discussed and beat up to death here a billion times before, ... I try not to get involved in most of these pointless discussions any more...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:21 am    

Quote:
Who has it, can you tell?

George, My info came from the web and as I should expect, was dead wrong. Forgive me. I should know better.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 1 Dec 2017 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:24 am    

Ok bottom line, ya know what I paid for Pee Wee's guitar? $2700, that was a very fair deal and I felt very satisfied with my purchase. All of this is about supply and demand, the higher the price by way of lineage, brand, year, quantity of active players, determines demand in that level, to a degree minimizing the market. Buddy's guitar for what it is intrinsically is just another guitar, for who drove it priceless

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:27 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
Quote:
Who has it, can you tell?

George. I can't verify what I heard to be true. 2nd. Even if I could. I wouldn't. The fellow is a very private person. If he wants it told. Word will get out.

I can only tell you. He's someone Buddy had a lot of respect for. A world class player. And not a member here.

I've received several E-mails. And now fear unless Buddy willed it to him. It's unlikely what I heard is true.

Sorry I got involved in this. Should know better.

b.

Yup I understand Bobby, I've posted more than usual lately and can understand your second thoughts...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 8:32 am    

I heard Buddy's son has the "Blade", but I don't know that for sure, what I do know is that Buddy's 1973 10 string Dobro is now owned by Gary Morse, and his 1976 6 string is sitting here in my bedroom...I don't know where his metal body Dobro end up...

Buddy Emmons 1976 Dobro 60

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 10:14 am    

I was told Buddy "3" has it

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 7:15 pm    

It's like a work of ART. There is ONLY ONE BLADE. J.R.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 9:16 pm     Re: Value of

Damir Besic wrote:

none of $250,000.00 vintage martin guitars have no significant history either ... I wonder Rolling Eyes

No significant history? They have been building one of the worlds finest acoustic guitars for 184 years for people like Roy Rogers, Gene Aurty, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams. Some of the most famous people on the planet. The Emmons Guitar company was in business and then out of business in less than...what...60 years? Buddy Emmons was a genius. There will never be a better steel player. But he was well-known only among musicians. To me, the Blade has a LOT of significant history because of Buddy Emmons and his contribution to music. But most other p/p's were played by unknown people. That's what I meant. As far as the Blades value, I think that "at auction", as they say, that it would probably bring somewhere around 25,000. But that's just a guess.

Mitch

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 7:40 am    

[quote="Bobby Boggs"]
Quote:
The fellow is a very private person. He's someone Buddy had a lot of respect for. A world class player. And not a member here.

Then I'm guessing Sonny Garrish!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:22 am    

The history would mean nothing to me because I'm a player, not a collector. It would be worth what a regular Emmons push pull of that era is worth but would be nice to own a guitar that Buddy owned and played but I'm just saying I wouldn't pay extra because of who owned the guitar, just me.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:25 am     Re: Value of

Mitch Ellis wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

No significant history? They have been building one of the worlds finest acoustic guitars for 184 years for people like Roy Rogers, Gene Aurty, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams. Some of the most famous people on the planet. The Emmons Guitar company was in business and then out of business in less than...what...60 years? Buddy Emmons was a genius. There will never be a better steel player. But he was well-known only among musicians. To me, the Blade has a LOT of significant history because of Buddy Emmons and his contribution to music. But most other p/p's were played by unknown people. That's what I meant. As far as the Blades value, I think that "at auction", as they say, that it would probably bring somewhere around 25,000. But that's just a guess.

Mitch

Comparing a Martin to a PSG isn't valid in my opinion. The vintage Martins we hand crafted to the extreme. The hide glues, neck joints, hand carved custom bracing tone wood thickness-ing, use rare tone woodsm etc all represent crazy craftsmanship using materials that are no longer available. The inlays on the more expensive Martins are more like art than an instrument and represent hundreds of hours of labor. Vintage martins are ~100 years older than the blade and tone woods open up over time and get sweeter. Also as Mitch mentions that are probably 20000X more people who play guitar than Pedal steel.

The Blade has a silk-screened glued on fret-boards and stickers for a badge.

With that said it would almost be embarrassing if the Blade went for less than $20K. Its pretty iconic.