The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stevie Wonder steel guitarist question
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 3:12 am    

My cousin sent me a YouTube clip of a Stevie Wonder song called "Too shy to say"I was wondering who played the eerie sounding incredible steel part...My guess would be Red Rhodes or Doug Livingston.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 5:10 am    

I haven't heard the tune lately....can't say for sure, but Sneaky Pete did some recording with Stevie...it might have been he.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 5:29 am    

Stu, allmusic.com has sneaky Pete credited with steel on the album, no other steel player listed.

Try to stay away from the paint chips on your toys Wink

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 6:25 am    

Craig,My cousin also said it's Sneaky Pete,Just doesn't sound like him to me...Thanks!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 2:36 pm    

I forget who told the story, but I always liked it:

after playing a session with Stevie, all the musicians were paid by a big bodyguard type who handed them each their check. when it came to Sneaky, he noticed the amount was much higher than everyone else.

"How come you make so much?" the fellow asked.

"Because I'm Sneaky Pete!" was the reply.

Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 2:57 pm    

Just to read Steve Wonder and steel I thought Too Shy to Say. It's perfect. Sneaky, of course.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 5:35 pm    

Yep, that's his unmistakable sound! Reminds a lot of his first recording..."Blue Star", back in 1964, with The Ventures. He was a little more trebly back then (as most players were). I remember when that song came out, all the rock lead players were scratchin' their heads thinkin' "Man, what the heck is that sound?"

Fender pedal steel, guys. Cool

Here's "Blue Star", for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCr8fZvk_k

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 6:21 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Here's "Blue Star", for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCr8fZvk_k

Written by Victor Young, composer of Stella By Starlight, Around The World, and the score of Hollywood's great motion picture ever, Blackbeard The Pirate.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 12:57 am    

Scott,That sounds like the story that I told...it was sly Stone who Sneaky had been practicing with,Sky's brother in law"Bubba"ran all things that had to do with money,Doug Livingston,Thanks for the info! Winking

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:05 pm    

thanks Stu!

did Sneaky record with Sly too?

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 4:56 am    

Scott,When I moved from Texas to L.A.in about 1979 I had a recording session at Sky's studio in Santa Monica with a blind black singer named"Gordon Dewitte"I think that he played on some Little Feet records,He was the"Gold Coast cowboy"anyway Sly's drummer was hanging out as was Bubba,When we were done Bubba asked me how much he owed me,I told him that I was told that it was$50.00per song he said you're a lot less than that Sneaky Pete guy,Sly Rehearsed with Pete not sure if they ever recorded?and when Bubba had to pay Sneaky he asked him"Why You get so much"?Pete told him"Because I'm Sneaky Pete"aint that something! Winking