The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Back tracks for practicing
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 11:04 am    

Does anyone have some back tracks in G C D that they would like to share. It would make practicing and learning much more fun. I have a keyboard and hit a chord and let and the keyboard play to play along with . But after a while it's gets boring. Jerry

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 12:05 pm    

I have some tracks I made for my students. If anybody sends me an E-mail, NOT A PM, I can attach the files to the reply.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 1:00 pm    

Hi, Jerry.

You mentioned having a keyboard to practice with. Does it have the ability to record? If it does, I have a couple of ideas for you to practice by.

........Pat

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 4:43 pm    

It does but I have never have tried to. I would rather have something that I could play stop rewind simple to use.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 5:09 pm    

The idea is simple, and playback could be stopped/restarted if you wish. This routine helps you familiarized yourself where the chords are.
If our keyboards are compatible (what is your brand/model), maybe I could send the midi to you via email.

Anyway, if you want to record it, all it is, is:
Chords C, Dm, Em, F, G7, Am, and Bdim (if you wish). Play the chords, 2 measures each ascending or descending, however many "verses" you wish.

Using the keyboard's key transpose function, you can play it in any key you want to and practice the various "home pedal" settings (No pedal, A+B, and A+F).

Learn on!..................Pat

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 3:22 pm    

Any PC can play midi files. Do a search for whatever tune you want in midi format. There a plenty of free tracks and players on the net. Get a player that lets you mute tracks so you can mute lead or rhythm tracks, and play along. Sound quality will vary depending on your sound card and the speakers you use. You can also use a midi interface to drive a keyboard. Sometimes you have to listen to a few dogs to find a good track. I've been doing this since the mid 90's with pretty good results.

Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 1:45 pm     Youtube

YouTube offers up literally thousands of karaoke tracks ... just learn to use an mp3 converter tool and bingo!!! Free backing tracks! Of course you might have to deal with some vocal harmony lines that a lot of them but like I said it's free

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 7:52 pm    

I would recommend Band In A Box. You can make your own tracks for any song you want. It is also the best learning tool I know of.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 9:46 am    

I 2nd Harry's suggestion. Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2017 9:58 am    

I've got about 220 backing tracks on my web site tab pages. Just right click the file to save it to your PC.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/

For example, there's 11 backing tracks on this page alone:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab23.html

Just search song titles on my web site using google. It's much quicker than trying to browse all the pages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 11:11 am     Greg Cutshaw...

This is a fabulous resource. Thanks for sharing. I'm having a problem though. On any of your pages prior to Steel Tab 22, I can't get the audio to play. Steel Tab 22 and 23 no problem. But the others can't be opened in Quicktime and I can't seem to find anything to open them up. Any ideas on how I can get these audio files to play? Thanks in advance!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 12:22 pm    

Some of the older pages use .wma audio files. These play on my ipad, iphone and MacBook pro. I do occasionally get feedback that a few Apple users can't play wma files. Some download and use Windows Media Player for mac and some use other players or quicktime add ons. Some are using Flip4Mac. Hope this helps! There are also a slew of free wma to mp3 converters. I use SoundSwitch although it is only free for a few weeks at a time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 2:51 pm     Thanks Greg!

I'll check them out.