The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin change
Russell Smith

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 8:53 am    

I would like to add the Paul Franklin change,drop strings 5,6 and 10 a full tone,to my steel.I would like to put this on the left knee vertical.Is this the best idea or should I consider putting it on a floor pedal as some players do?

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 9:18 am    

I've never had it on a vertical knee but I think it would work fine there. One thing I would suggest, is being able to use it comfortably in conjunction with the E to Eb lever. Otherwise, you're missing out on a nice 7th chord.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 9:33 am    

FWIW, Gary Carter has it on LKV, with Es lowering on RKL. Doug Jernigan had just 5+6 lowering on LKV, but as of last year he's only lowering 6 a whole step!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 9:42 am    

I've had it on pedal 1 and also LKV. It's a lot more fun to play on a floor pedal where you can actuate it as quickly as you can pedals 1 and 2. I also have found for me that there's a lot more riff possibilities with the low B to A on a knee lever. It goes real well on the knee that already lowers strings 2 and 9 a half tone. This gives you atone of major 9th, 6/9 and extended C6 type sounds as well as a nice drone string on the bottom.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Split%20Franklin%20Pedal%20Tab.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 12:50 pm    

Slide the bar back 2 frets on 5 and 6, it really is OK to play 1 or 2 strings at a time. Playing every chord in the book without moving the bar is only one way to play. Look at a PF video he moves a lot and uses 1 and 2 string combos a ton.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 2:48 pm    

I drop 5 and 10 on my pedal 4 and lower string 6 a whole tone on my LKR which also lowers my string 2 a half/whole and string 9 a half. I do it this way because I raise string 7 a whole tone on the same knee lever that raises strings 1 and 2.
I found for me that this orientation gives me the most amount of options without interfering with other pulls and I don't need to add extra pedals or levers. Also I didn't want to sacrifice my lkv which I've grown accustomed to the standard b to bflat.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 6:46 pm    

Russell -

If you have a double ten, I also suggest putting the PF change on Pedal 4

Same pedal that raises 4th and 8th string "A's" to B on the C6th neck.

Ron

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 11:31 pm    

Larry Behm wrote:
Slide the bar back 2 frets on 5 and 6, it really is OK to play 1 or 2 strings at a time.

Very Happy

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 5:46 am    

Larry Behm wrote:
Slide the bar back 2 frets on 5 and 6, it really is OK to play 1 or 2 strings at a time. Playing every chord in the book without moving the bar is only one way to play. Look at a PF video he moves a lot and uses 1 and 2 string combos a ton.

If one would watch the latest vid of Paul and Vince doing the Haggard tribute, they would see Franklin do bar slants as well. A pretty well known steel player was overheard giving a mere mortal some good advice; " do your own thing, 'cause I'm already doin' my thing ! " Laughing

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:27 am    

I use a lot more bar slants, both directions, than I used to. The Franklin pedal is not so much about getting certain chords than the effect of moving two strings to gain a PEDAL effect. It is a PEDAL steel guitar and this is just another way to add some signature riffs to one's collection. It's not a whole new style of playing or the only tool. Just a great tool to add to one's chords, slides, blocking, single string riffs, bar slants, string pulls, rakes, bar movements and split tuning. It's a lot of fun to experiment with! I've keep adding and deleting it to my guitars as my mood changes. Got it on one guitar and love it. Don't have it on my other guitar and that's fine too as there's lots of other stuff to play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger