The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good vs Bad practice times ?
Brian Waits

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 4:42 pm    

Ever have days where you feel like your making decent progress ? You know days that you can maybe play along fairly decent with some songs and then other times when nothing seems right and you look at your guitar and think....what is this thing ? like you have never even seen it before ?.....lol
Session 400 with JBL D130

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 5:32 pm    

You are not alone - I can relate perfectly. I think sometimes I just have an "off day", when I'm not sharp and focused. Other times I may actually be playing reasonably well but my expectations and desire are higher so it SEEMS like I'm not cutting it.

And then once in a while, I'll finish a song and think, "Well, they would not have thrown tomatoes at me for THAT." And it all becomes worthwhile once more!

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 6:04 pm    

Definitely. There are times, when you will try, try try, to get some lick, or play a certain song, and, no matter, what you do, or how hard you try, you just cannot do it. You give it up, at least for a wile. Then, one day, you sit down, and wham! Surprise! YOu knock it out of the park. Those are the best days.
And, the only witness to your great accomplishment is the dog, or cat. If only they could applaud?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 4:21 am    

doesn't matter, thats why we do it again tomorrow ! Smile The point is to do it everyday or as often as possible which is hard enough.

Our fingers , hands, knees and feet don't know that we are making bad music at the moment Exclamation

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 5:42 am    

Jana Lockaby wrote:

And, the only witness to your great accomplishment is the dog, or cat. If only they could applaud?

But if they could applaud the good times, they would also howl or yowl when I do poorly. At least our cats don't run and hide, and my wife does not demand that I take it to the garage!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 9:48 am     Re: Good vs Bad practice times ?

Brian Waits wrote:
Ever have days where you feel like your making decent progress ? You know days that you can maybe play along fairly decent with some songs and then other times when nothing seems right and you look at your guitar and think....what is this thing ? like you have never even seen it before ?.....lol

When you are struggling is when you are going uphill. When you feel stuck and working hard anyway you are making real progress.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 3:43 am    

I can identify with this.

I'm trying to learn theory while getting it under my fingers and some days it's there and some not.

The Theory is frustrating at times where there is no explanation why most places have the basic melody and chords above. You then look for the relevant extension only to listen back and most players use a sub of something completely different.

Body and Soul is a perfect example of what I'm working on now on non pedal.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 7:11 am    

I find that you really have to be in the right mood.
Some days I really want to get on that thing and other days I'd just as soon leave it alone. Very Happy

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 12:13 pm    

The "learning curve" that people talk about is quite wavy - like investments, it can go down as well as up.

Do not expect to climb steadily - good progress usually consists of noticeable improvements interspersed with plateaux where nothing much happens, but as Tony points out only our mind is aware of this, not our body, so we just carry on exercising regardless until we encounter another up-current.

I know this from teaching other instruments, but I'm sure the same principle must apply to the pedal steel, even thought it is so much more complicated than any other...

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 1:04 am    

At a seminar years ago I remember Jeff Newman saying he liked to do his work in the morning. I'm certainly not him but I try and get my woodshedding in then, too. I'm at my mentally alert in the morning hours.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 4:56 am    

An hour in the morning is worth two in the afternoon, they say.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 5:57 am    

Jeez, not me! I am much more motivated and sharper in the evening.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 6:40 am    

What Erv Said! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:24 pm    

I can certainly relate to this. I remember Don Compston, who was the president of the Oklahoma club, RIP, make that comment that somedays he just wanted to quit he thought he sounded so bad and he always sounded so good to my ears. I have always been a morning person...I do my best practicing in the morning. I play off and on all day long, and sometimes I play for my own amusement, and sometimes I practice, but in the evenings sometimes I feel that I am just wasting my time, just cant seem to play that well, but I agree with Erv, you have to be in the right mood to seriously practice...playing I can do most any time:)
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 11:11 pm    

I have to say

Practice is different to playing for me

Practice = work on trackable goals

Playing = try new things and discover

Listening = records, feel and phrasing
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"