The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My RKL Raises 1st String and Lowers 6th String
William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 6:28 pm    

I have the E9 Emmons setup. My RKL raises my 1st string from F# to G and lowers my 6th string from G# to F#. I know I can get a major chord with this lever and my LKR (E to Eb). Question. What should this lever be doing for me? What else can I get with it?
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 6:49 pm    

Well, my RKL lowers my Bs but that's just me (and Tommy White! Very Happy )

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 6:51 pm    

On mine, my LKV lowers my B's to Bb's
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 7:07 pm    

Yes, with the E lower you have the V chord, B maj open, with string three adding the sixth degree and string one the augmented fifth, G.
With A&B pedals that G on string one is your b7. On an all pull guitar you can split tune the sixth string to get a G there also, but not on a push pull.
As a lick pedal, it allows you to bend between the second and third scale degrees in the no pedals position, like an A pedal in reverse.
Great lever, developed by the one and only Big E, I believe. Thanks, Buddy!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 1:17 pm    

If you have an all-pull guitar, you can hit the A and B pedals, add that knee and you have an A7.
In a minor key, it drops the root of the G#m (dropped Es), and with the A pedal C#m chord, it's a nice scale passage 5 to 4.
I actually use this knee FAR more than I do the E raises.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 5:57 pm    

Doesn't really matter which change is on which lever… AS LONG as it's ergonomic for you and the way you choose to play. This is why lever setups can be so flexible.
After you have the E's raising and lowering, (two levers) and the 2nd String lowering a half, maybe a whole with a half stop, (or on different levers for some folks), and the 9th lowering, the rest are what I refer to as the "frosting" levers to my students.

The 5th string B, or perhaps 5th and 10th, down to Bb is one, very frequently on the vertical… and then the 1st up a whole to G#, 2nd up a half to E, and the 6th dropping to F# are often together on one knee. The 1st string raise was almost overused in the 80's-90's. ( Check "That Summer" by Garth Brooks for a classic use of that change in intro and turn). Many people have a "frosting" change they just can't, or don't want, to do without. For me it's the whole step drop on 6. While a part of the "Franklin Pedal" change, for me it's the most melodic and useable part, and I use it many times a night (or session) for melodic passages, and with other pedals. The 1st string raise would be second in line, and adding the 2nd string raise makes it even more useful. While I use them together as motion against the same notes on string 3 and 4, I use them more frequently separately. Great changes useful in so many ways.

There's a lot to be said for looking through tab and listening to recordings and experimenting with the changes you'll put on the "frosting" levers. Part of finding your own voice. Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to adopt...

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 7:52 pm    

Thanks for all your help. And thanks, Mark, for reminding me that I need to be me.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 3:43 pm    

Something that I learned the long excruciating way is when ever you cahange up your setup you may be able to pull off some new licks but you may loose other favourite licks you used to do. Once I figured out the type of licks and playing I wanted to do I settled into my copedant. I put the string 6 lower on the same lever that lowers string 2 a half/whole and string 9 a half. I lower string 5 and 10 on pedal 4 so these two in conjunction gives me the franklin change or I can just lower string 6 all by itself. This is a great trick Will Vanhoye told me about. My pedal 4 also raises my As to Bs on C6