The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reso Coverplate Suggestions
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 5:31 pm    

Does anyone have an opinion on the Golden Gate reso coverplates that Elderly sells? I need to find an affordable spider bridge style coverplate for a guitar I am building.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Gary Meixner

Former Member

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 5:46 pm    

Hey Gary,
I know this isn't about Elderly,
But I was checking out stuff on the 'bay and found this seller who just cleaned out some old music store. He has a bunch of listings, some for old spider reso stuff.
How about a 12 legged spider?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Steel-Resonator-Cover-Plate-3-/172525635365?hash=item282b544725:g:TMAAAOSwTuJYniWq

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 9:19 am    

I am in the process of reassembling my '81 Dobro Model 60-DS that has been in pieces since '86 (it's a long story). All I have here in Colorado are the body, neck, and screens; the cone, spider, and coverplate are in storage in Minnesota. I am installing a new cone and spider from Beard, so they won't be an issue, but I'm lacking a coverplate. Until I get back to Minnesota this summer to retrieve the original, I plan to install one of the $18.04 Chinese replicas on a temporary basis. It'll take a few weeks for delivery (it's apparently on the slow boat from China). I will report back on my impression of the coverplate once it finally arrives.

If it's "affordable" that you're looking for, it's doubtful you can do much better than $18.04.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 12:02 pm    

The import cover plate will most likely have a different mounting pattern than what is currently drilled. If so you will have to drill the top for the new pattern.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 5:56 pm    

I've bought a few of these Saga Golden Gate coverplates. They aren't high enough to get above the spider on many reso's. I don't happen to have one in stock at this time so I can't measure it. It might work but be prepared that it may not fit well.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 7:08 am    

Howard Parker wrote:
The import cover plate will most likely have a different mounting pattern than what is currently drilled. If so you will have to drill the top for the new pattern.

The diagram for the Chinese cover plate on the web site would suggest that the holes are within a gnat's whisker of those drilled in my 60-DS.

If it won't fit, I'm fully prepared to drill out the body, plug the holes with 1/8" hardwood dowel rod, and redrill as Mr. Beard suggests in his reso setup video. After all, it's an early '80s OMI, not a prewar OM-45.

It could very well be that the imported cover plate is an unusable piece of junk, but for $18.04 delivered to my mailbox (about the cost of renting a case of Coors here in Colorado), I'm willing to take that risk. Can always mount a clock on it and hang it on the wall...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 9:29 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Howard Parker wrote:

The diagram for the Chinese cover plate on the web site would suggest that the holes are within a gnat's whisker of those drilled in my 60-DS.

The holes on the eighteen dollar imported cover plate match my 60-DS almost exactly. No plugging and redrilling will be necessary. Since I have yet to obtain and install the new cone, spider, and saddle blank, I can't address the height issue that Mr. Allen mentions above. I will report back after all of the parts are delivered as to whether or not the import plate is tall enough to clear the saddle.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 11:51 am    

I ordered a Golden gate coverplate from Elderly ($60.00) for my guitar and can report the following:

Made from nickle plated brass and looks good. It does seem to be a bit flimsy but still sturdy enough for my application. I had to cut the bridge insert down a bit but the tailpiece also lays a little lower so the break angle is adequate. I don't have a another coverplate to compare it to so I don't know how the holes line up with other manufactures.

I have had the cone and spider for a long time and can't remember where they came from but I believe they are both made by Quarterman. I tune the guitar to standard Hawaiian, A Major / low bass. It sounds great but does need a little fine tuning to the set up. I'll post some pics and a recording soon. If I find a really bond with the instrument I may invest in a quality coverplate from Beard. I have a feeling a taller bridge might be an improvement. Still the guitar projects nicely and the tone is perfect for Hawaiian.

Thanks for the input and help.

Gary Meixner

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 3:44 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
...I will report back after all of the parts are delivered as to whether or not the import plate is tall enough to clear the saddle.

New cone, spider bridge, and saddles from Resophonic Outfitters have been installed, along with the import cover plate.

The only issue with the imported plate was the palm rest was slightly concave. I made a simple jig and re-bent the palm rest to allow plenty of string clearance.

The end result is it plays real nice and sounds like a Dobro. I'm happy with the $18.04 cover plate, at least until I can reinstall the original.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 5:55 pm    

Jack, would you mind posting a link to the supplier from which you got the cover plate?...or send it by PM please?
Did it ship directly from China?...any issues with the purchase?

There are several ebay posts, I want to make sure I use the one that you used to avoid problems. Thank you, JO.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:49 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Jack, would you mind posting a link to the supplier from which you got the cover plate?...or send it by PM please?
Did it ship directly from China?...any issues with the purchase?

There are several ebay posts, I want to make sure I use the one that you used to avoid problems. Thank you, JO.

Jerry, I purchased the cover plate from an eBay seller by the name of gentoys. They call it a "Sliver Metal Spider Type Sound Hole Cover Plate fit for Dobro Guitar." Yup, "sliver," not "silver." I purchased the item on February 18th, and it was delivered to my mailbox in Southern Colorado on March 2nd. It shipped directly from Shenzhen, China.

I wouldn't care to speculate as to whether or not gentoys is truly a great company or if I was merely fortunate. In any event, the import cover plate worked out fine for me.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 9:14 pm    

Gotcha. Appreciate the info Jack. Thanks.