None of the above (please explain)
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 196

Author Topic:  Poll: What percentage play C6th
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 8:33 am    

I've played a very small percentage of C6th for years,Most people don't know that I play very little,Somewhere there is a recording of some guy who I played with that isn't too embarrassing,It was when I had my Carter!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 2:51 pm    

I play mostly E9, even for western swing numbers, but I'll switch to C6 for improvising.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 7:32 pm    

I voted "Not at all" even though I play 6ths on an E9 either by lowering 4 and 8 , or mashing A and B and using strings 1, 3,4,5,6,7,8. Or just the A pedal down.

Also I find that the main gig I do doesn't shout out for C6 sounds. Too bad..Some day I will shed C6 on my D-10, since C6 style on an E9 is limited.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 9:07 am    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
Also I find that the main gig I do doesn't shout out for C6 sounds. Too bad..Some day I will shed C6 on my D-10, since C6 style on an E9 is limited.

I feel that C6th isn't so much a "style" as an "alternate string order". The string order makes certain established styles easier or harder to play, but ultimately any style of music can be played on either E9th or C6th. C6th has more low notes, though. Lack of low notes is the main limitation of the E9th.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 10:34 am    

I think Greg Leisz reminds us that there are "other" open tunings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FcK3RDDol4

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:05 pm    

b0b wrote:
Carl Mesrobian wrote:

I feel that C6th isn't so much a "style" as an "alternate string order". The string order makes certain established styles easier or harder to play, but ultimately any style of music can be played on either E9th or C6th. C6th has more low notes, though. Lack of low notes is the main limitation of the E9th.

Bob is correct. E9 is the "country style" tuning because country is the genre that the current vocabulary of the instrument is grounded in. If we put modern steel guitars in the hands of, say, young ethnic Chinese musicians and said "here, learn to play this" without giving them any examples of country music to learn from, I wonder what style the pedal steel would create then.

The C6 is a tuning, not a style. Jerry Byrd, Maurice Anderson, and Dave Easley all play the same tuning. Many styles to chose from.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 23 Feb 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 3:12 pm    

Wow -- I used the wrong word, please don't shoot me - I love my family Wink I agree with you!!!

My sincerest apologies!!!!

EDIT (again) - why are there so many steel guitar tunings, vs. , say, 6 string guitar, dobro, banjo, bass. (Oops, sorry b0b, for the b%$#@ word)

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 5:49 pm    

No apology necessary, Carl. I'm always fighting the mindset that C6th and E9th are inherent styles of playing, so I have a gut reaction. Whoa!

Last night I went to our little Cloverdale Music Workshop - basically a structured jam session. The players are rockers with very little country experience, so the tunes were blues, rock, reggae and r&b. I played my 8-string D6th pedal steel. I kicked in some swing licks over a rocked-up Route 66, but other than that I tried to stay true to genre. Licks that fit, you know.

The last song was a Dylan-esque Neil Young folk-rock tune, so I finally kicked in some standard country licks. The newcomers in the room were genuinely surprised (and delighted), like "It does that too?". Made my night. Cool Cool

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 6:08 pm    

I challenge myself on E9 by trying jazz licks I know on 6 string guitar - steel guitar is a continuum for sure..

I thought you play D6. Do you have a D-10 with a D6 back neck?

BTW, I've never seen anyone surprised at what a piano or a B3 can do.. I suppose because there are more notes Laughing

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 9:51 pm    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
I thought you play D6. Do you have a D-10 with a D6 back neck?

Right now, the back neck of my Carter is strung for D6. I don't play the D-10 very often, so tuning it to match my main guitar (the S-Cool keeps me in the right key. I can switch it back to C6th easily.