The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar/String Question
Brian Manwaring

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 9:34 am    

Hi all --
I'm new to the forum, and have been playing lap steel for about 6 months now. I shifted to lap due to some physical issues which reduced my left hand dexterity. Lap steel is a real blessing -- and, has allowed me to keep up my hobby and passion.

So, as for the question. I converted a Martin OM-1 to a lapsteel. By convert -- I had a luthier replace the nut to raise the strings. The OM-1 has a stratabond neck. So, I'm hoping it can withstand the extra strain. I've only had two sets of strings on it. I'm not sure what the first set was. The current ones are D'addario Phosphor Bronze, EJ16, Light (.012-.053).

The last set, after a couple of weeks, started emitting a relatively uncomfortable sounds of the two high strings. I thought the strings had worn out, so replaced them. I got two days in with the new strings just fine, and then the sound picked up again. I would probably equate the sounds to fingers on a chalkboard -- or a high pitched vibration. The sounds picks up on the back end of the note. I use a steel tonebar. And, the sound only happens when the tonebar is on the string (i.e. there's no sound when the string is played open).

I have a squareneck Republic resonator -- it has no problems. So, any thoughts on the root cause of the problem. Wrong strings? Problem with the guitar? Just the way it is?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Paul Malta

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 7:06 am    

Hi Brian, welcome!

Very odd issue so just a guess here. But to me it sounds like a nut problem. The strings on a steel should be at an even height across the strings so that when you apply the bar, none of the strings will buzz, clank or give off some other undesired sound. I'm not a luthier but seems to me that a guitar nut is notched differently, such that each slot accommodates the string diameter for the string to sit in; while on steels evenness across the top surfaces of the strings is the primary consideration. Many steels don't even use a notched nut at all, especially electric lap steels where you'll often see a plain metal bar as a nut.

As to why it goes sideways on you only after a couple of days of replacing the strings, it could be that when you replace them you've reseated them in the nut, temporarily fixing it but once you play and apply pressure on the strings; you push them down further into the nut and they become uneven again. To test this theory, next time this happens try just loosening the same problem strings and reseating them in the nut (instead of replacing them). If that temporarily fixes the issue then I would replace the nut and find one specifically made and notched for a dobro or other type of acoustic steel guitar. Given this is a conversion, you may have challenges finding one with the correct string spacing for an OM-1 in which case you'll need to work with a blank nut and find the correct spec's for notching a steel nut.

Hope this helps... Keep on pickin'!

Paul

Brian Manwaring

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 7:49 am    

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Paul. I'll give this a shot.