INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Computer?
Dennis Manuel

Wells, B.C., Canada
Post Posted 7 Feb 2017 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Over the years I have bought BIAB for Mac. I am in need of a new computer and thinking about switching from Mac to a Windows laptop because of the price difference. Mac computers just seem to be overpriced. What are your thoughts?
Jack Stoner

Inverness, Fl
Post Posted 7 Feb 2017 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have an iPhone and iPad but use Windows PC's. MAC's are several times more for equivalent hardware. I've noticed some activity on a couple of threads about users moving from MAC to Windows on the gearslutz recording forum.

There are those that think Microsoft outdid Apple with Windows 10.

I have Cakewalk Sonar DAW (Recording studio program) that is only Windows right now (they are working on a MAC version that was supposed to be in Beta last fall but a Beta has yet to be released).

I also have BIAB. If you buy a Windows PC check with PGMusic, they may allow you to download a Windows version.
Richard Smelker

Winters.Texas, USA
Post Posted 8 Feb 2017 10:44 am     Reply with quote

I just bought a Windows 10 laptop and loaded BIAB 2016 on it. It is working great!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post Posted 8 Feb 2017 11:57 am     Reply with quote

I have a 5 year old PC with 6GB of RAM running the latest full BIAB package including RealTracks with no problems whatsoever. I also have a MacBook Pro with retina display that I love because it's light, thin and powers up in 15 seconds or 5 seconds after waking up. I've had no problem running both types of PC's but like you have run all the big music apps on a large screen lower cost generic PC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post Posted 8 Feb 2017 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

Dennis Manuel wrote:
What are your thoughts?

IMHO PC's are a much better deal, HARDWARE-WISE! But software wise I think that , at this time, the only OS that MIGHT be a little behind is Linux...and that is such a narrow gap that it is almost nill.

BiaB 2014 ran fine under Wine on Debian for me, a little slower than on Win or Mac, but fully usable.

Again, IMHO, for the price of a newer Mac you could build a fantastically powerful system that would be the equivalent of a super computer when side by side with the Mac.

Remember that this is a IMHO, YMMV, yada yada type of post....no insult or flame war intended at all!
10-String Dom Lapsteel, Rogue RLS-1, Behringer GM108 w/a Weber CVC8, Roland Micro-Cube, VOX Tonelab SE, Peavey Raptor, Fender Bullet Strat & Bronco Bass, Washburn T12 Bass, Yamaha FG450S, Custom 9 Piece Roland TD4/9 kit, Mike Headrick & Steve Alcott, BT BiaB 2017, Reaper 4.75, too many plugins to list.....
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA
Post Posted 13 Feb 2017 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

I just had to get a new computer today with WIN10 on it. It is ok that I don't hook to an ISP after I register the computer and just use it for the Biab and other programs I have for music?