The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is your practice set-up?
Bud Harger

Temple / Belton, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 8:33 am    

How do you set up your music room practice area to make it convenient and easy to learn from mp3s, audio cd's, YouTube, tabs?

I'm 80 years old and playing regular gigs. I'm not really very savvy with newer practice aids and systems.

My music room area is not really organized at all and I find it affects my inclination to learn new stuff.

My Kenwood audio system is 25 years old and plays cassettes and CDs. It doesn't do mp3s.

I have an available laptop and mouse that plays CDs and MP3 and can be integrated into a new system.

What setup do you use or recommend? I have a kazillion cd lesson tracks, lots of MP3 computer files and printed tabs.

Thanks for your input.

1969 Emmons D-10 8f/4k; Evans Amps.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 12:47 pm    

Bud, the important thing to me is having the computer screen and mouse pad handy so I can start, stop, replay etc songs, lessons, etc on YouTube. I do have a CD player but it's too hard to limit the function of that to the small snippet of music I'm working on at a given time. Plus I am able to slow YouTube music to 1/2 speed to better understand what I'm hearing, especially on some fast playing.

Also, I run the computer output through my Nashville 112, along with the steel, so I'm hearing my playing coming out of the same speaker the song is.

That seems to work for me, your mileage may vary.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 1:46 pm    

I've got a "MyDac" digital to analogue converter that takes an output from my computer and plugs in with RCA plugs into a Harmon Kardon receiver which has to be at least as old as your Kenwood -- I think I have it into the cd input. That way I can play mp3s, youtube etc over the stereo and the sound quality is decent.

I mostly use VLC media player which makes it easy to start /stop and can loop if you want although I don't use that function. I've also got Audacity which has a pitch shifting function if you need to learn something in a different key from the original -- I've used it where I have to learn a part that was originally played with a guitar tuned down a semitone. Both are free, open source software.

I don't use tab much but would generally just print it (or sheet music) and stick it on a music stand. The quality of my practice space was greatly improved by the purchase of a decent non-folding and relatively non-tipping music stand.

Last edited by Jim Robbins on 6 Feb 2017 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 5:28 pm    

I use an old Ernie Ball volume pedal and a ZT club amp. I create my own background tracks with Finale, and play them through a set of desktop computer speakers. Sometimes late at night I practice unplugged so as to not disturb my wife. My practice steel has a Telonics pickup.

I use my Quilter amp and Telonics volume pedal when I perform. My gigging steel has an Alumitone.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 8:25 pm    

I always use my computer-for rhythm tracks is Windows Media Player, then for the 90s country songs and classic country songs, and Danni Leigh's songs, I use Spotify. My practice rig is mainly my Jackson Blackjack Custom pedal steel, "Black Diamond", Goodrich volume pedal, Dunlop fingerpicks, National thumbpick, Sacred Steel bar, Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier, and OutWest Pac-a-seat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:05 pm    

I have a pretty good setup on my computer...32" screen, with a 6-way surround sound system with amp,EQ,sub woofer, so my computer sounds like an old school stereo; also have CD, reel-to-reel,turntable. I just YouTube the material & play to it; 1 steel usually setup at home with as close to stage setup as possible, as for me practicing is not only playing, but learning to utilize my equipment, since I run a stereo delay onstage with 2 amps & it takes a little getting used to in each situation.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 10:33 pm     The Set-Up.

In this little house,I have a Sony CD changer, McIntosh end table speakers, 2 single 15" speaker cabs with small hi-frequency horns, and a powerful Sony amp. Turn it on, turn it up, and play along till I get tired. And, at any hour of the day.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 7:13 am    

Bud, your Kenwood receiver probably has an auxiliary input. You can use that to play mp3's, WAV's or anything else from a computer, phone, tablet. It's usually red and white RCA plugs to 1/8" cable that you'd need for that.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 7:08 pm    

I keep a metronome handy. It keeps you honest when learning new licks. And the Amazing Slow Downer app. Very valuable tool.