The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  how many of you still play older msa's PSG??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 7:28 am    

like to see how many of you guys still play older msa psg?? here are a couple of mine...

p.w Very Happy

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 11:13 am    

I have an Extended E9th S12 on loan to my Teleslinger, and I have a customer's SD-12 on my bench. Great guitars.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 12:46 pm    

Bought a D10 late last year. Sounds great and holds tuning well. Beautiful guitar. Had to make a lower seat (19")in order to used the RKR lever. Otherwise I love it.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 12:52 pm    

Have an S12U Vintage XL. Sweet axe. Very comfortable easy playing guitar. Flawless mechanics.

I have other guitars too and the MSA is always a pleasant surprise when I put it back in rotation.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 6 Feb 2017 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Judson Adair

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 12:53 pm    

I have a 1975 D12 MSA Classic.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 6:06 pm    

I have a 1974 Classic S12 Lacquer body wood neck A previous owner took two of the five pedals off so I use it as an S10. In the case it's heavier than my D10 push/pull so it's at home about 95% of the time.

Last edited by Ben Lawson on 7 Feb 2017 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 8:14 pm    

My blue lacquered body guitar. It is heavy. 1976 Classic, 8 pedals 5 knees. Only pedal steel I ever played. I would like to try out some newer lighter guitars someday just to see what it is like.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 6:38 am     how many of you still play older msa's PSG??

ed,
pretty guitar you got there. where in illinios are you
from??

p.w

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 6:38 am    

ttt

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 6:40 am     Re: how many of you still play older msa's PSG??

Paul Wade wrote:
ed,
pretty guitar you got there. where in illinios are you
from??

p.w

Hi Paul. I'm in Springfield.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 2:11 pm    

1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 3:30 pm    

Here's my old one that I wish I still had.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 7:53 pm    

I have two Classic SS's, a Classic S12, and the clearest steel ever built, the Plexiglass Classic. These are all being restored or refurbished, none are playable right now, but will be some day.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 9:39 pm    

Red Lacquer Classic S-10 5X5

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 12:05 am    

Darvin, Jim Palenscar had the plexiglass guitar on display at his shop a few years back. If it had been a U-12 I might ave bought it.

I was wondering what happened to it. I'm glad you have it.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 4:58 am    

Yeah Mike, it's in the "MSA Museum". It is playable, but really doesn't sound very good, but I have some ideas I'm going to try to remedy that. I don't see any reason it can't sound as good as a wood, or carbon fiber guitar.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 8 Feb 2017 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 5:05 am    

The best playing and sounding Classics I ever had, I bought from Paul Wade and totally restored it. It was heavy as all get out but I loved playing it. I sold it when I virtually quit playing a few years ago, and of course I wish I still had it. I built a set of split flight cases to deal with the weight. I could attach the pedal board case to the main case for rolling, or separate them for carrying. The guitar and cases together weighed 100lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7o6GHl9ps

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 8 Feb 2017 6:50 am; edited 3 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 5:31 am    

Darvin, I've seen some of your MSA guitars over the years and I'm always amazed at what your attention, restoration etc. has done for them. Just beautiful, immaculate instruments...akin to your detailed attention to all your gear. It must be fun to be you.

That blue/green-burst MSA SS looks like the one that was on ebay or Reverb a couple months back. It's a beauty.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 6:17 am     how many of you still play older msa's PSG??

darvin,

yes remember that guitar well. used it a lot up in Wisconsin with my band till i sold it to you. great tone heavy Whoa! but great tone.

p.w

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 6:46 am    

Jerry, that was an Ebay find, I fell in love with the color and had to have it. It needs a little touch up here and there on the body and some mechanical attention, but it'll be like my other refurbs when I'm done. It is totally disassembled at this point. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, so I'm just naturally detail oriented I guess.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 9:24 am    

Yeah, I'm economically challenged or I would have been bidding on it myself. I was struck by the color and that it is a Classic SS. It is an unusual and stunning finish. I can't wait to see it after you've worked your magic.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 5:29 am    

TTT

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 9:24 pm     How many of you still play an older msa PSG

Darvin I have a White D10 MSA. It is in its case under the bed. It was to heavy and I am too old.
I have a S10 White MSA. Its little brother. I gigged it for a while. December a year ago I went to S12 U GFI. Old MSA's are great guitars.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 9:27 pm    

'70 Classic D-10 8X4,originally 8X2.Always played nice, sounded good, held tune. When Reece was still with us I had some nice back-and-forth with him on the board about Don Edwards(also RIP) whose store I got it from. My first good steel.Still have it but it's monster-heavy so it's been in the case for awhile.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 9:07 am    

1974 D10 8x5 rebuilt by Bobby Bowman a few years back.