The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Arrg - my BX500 blew out again! - Well not quite
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 9:37 am    

I really want to love this amp, but she keeps stepping out on me. I had it for a year, and am happy with the tone, but one day last year, the "protect" light came on. It was out of warranty, so I paid Carvin $225 to fix it - that was about 6 months ago. Hooked it up to my steel this morning, turned it on, no sound and the protect light is on again.

I sent Carvin the "must be a Lemon" plea, and we'll see what they say, but an unreliable amp is worse than a crappy sounding one! Anybody have any similar recommendations? Anybody tried the new Peavey MiniMax?

Last edited by Glenn Demichele on 7 Feb 2017 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 10:55 am    

New info: I tried it again just now, and it started working. I left it in the garage last night. It was cold, but not that cold... I am still nervous about failure on (or just before) a gig, suggestions are still appreciated.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:45 am    

What speaker(s) are you running it through? What impedance load? Have you tried it with a different speaker, with a different speaker cable? The "protect" light indicates an issue in the output stage, if there was a weak short somewhere it would lower the impedance the amp sees, overload it

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:47 am    

There is a switch on the rear for Impedances. Out is 4 to 8 ohm, switch "IN" is 2 ohms. Unless the load is 2 ohms it should be "out".

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 1:28 pm    

Normally when I power up the amp, the protect light always goes on for a couple seconds, then goes out, regardless if there's a cable plugged into the speaker out.

The first time it blew out, the Protect light it went on and stayed on, even with the speaker cable disconnected from the amp during power off/on. No sound came out, so I had the amp repaired.

The same thing happened this morning, but when I tried it an hour later, it came up normally. This is making me nervous.

I've been using a BW1501-4 for steel and an 8 ohm 10" for jazz bass gigs. P.S. Switch in the rear is out.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 2:33 pm    

If you have more problems and have to deal with the company, you can feel free to cite me if you wish to make a claim that there are people watching this story with interest. How willing Carvin is to work with you with (if the trouble persists) a problem amp will have a strong bearing on how I regard the company.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 3:28 pm    

About a month after I got the amp, one of their engineers responded promptly my email regarding a midrange peak I was seeing. We talked engineer-to-engineer, and he was very helpful. I was impressed by his accessibility and level of cooperation, including their willingness to provide schematics. Of course the price, features and sound of the BX500 were great too.
When it broke, they said they hadn't seen "an unusual amount" of failures. I thought about trading up to the BX700, but it was more money,so I just paid a "standard rate" to fix the BX500.

I really want to like this amp and this company, and I know it's not fair to judge the whole company because of some bad transistor manufacturing lot. The reliability of MY amp - one of thousands - is scaring me.
I guess what would make me happy is if
1). They replaced my amp with a new one, convincing me I had a lemon, showing me statistics.
2). Let me "upgrade" to a BX700 for a nominal fee
3). They let me buy a backup BX250 for say $100 in case the BX500 craps out on a gig.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 3:44 pm    

Good line of thinking.
I rarely evaluate a company on the problem itself (unless it is a clear pattern or percentage of problems). Stuff happens. But I hold a lot of store in how they deal with the problem and how they absorb the pain. The deal is that I won't demand perfection of them but I do expect that any failure will be their fault and their responsibility. If they live up to that compact, then we're cool.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:10 pm    

Glenn Demichele wrote:

I really want to like this amp and this company, and I know it's not fair to judge the whole company because of some bad transistor manufacturing lot. The reliability of MY amp - one of thousands - is scaring me.
I guess what would make me happy is if
1). They replaced my amp with a new one, convincing me I had a lemon, showing me statistics.
2). Let me "upgrade" to a BX700 for a nominal fee
3). They let me buy a backup BX250 for say $100 in case the BX500 craps out on a gig.

Personally, I think they should do something for you.

Still, what I don't quite understand is why you insist on using something that you yourself have characterized as unreliable, why you cling to keeping an amp that seems to be causing you more worry than it's worth.

I probably have at least a dozen or so different amps, and I've often thought about buying a Carvin or Polytone. But every time I read about their reliability problems, and how much they charge to repair them, I get a little less likely to ever own either one.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:51 pm    

I'd love to believe that it's just this particular BX500 that's unreliable (I don't really know), which is why all three of my "preferred" scenarios I mentioned involved another, different, Carvin amp.

It really would be nice to see some hard reliability data from Carvin...

The other scenario doesn't involve Carvin: I would replace the Carvin with a new amp from a different manufacturer. This involves some money, and more importantly getting some good recommendations my wonderful friends on the forum.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 8:53 pm    

I also have a BX500 that is a problem for me. It is not that it died- but it has some bad distortion. Bass notes sound flabby- like a blown speaker. But the speaker is good. I plug in my GK MB200 to the same speaker and it is great sounding.

This amp was ok for my first couple weeks using it, then on a gig I noticed it sounding terrible.

I bought it used, so I imagine they will do nothing for me. Still, I guess I'll call them and see.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 3:26 am    

My BX500 started distorting after about 6 or 7 months. Turned out it was the OEM 12AX7 tube (I use the tube mode). I replaced it, almost 2 years ago, with a NOS RCA 12AX7 and no more problems.

As a former amp tech, I don't consider this to be an issue. A tube can go "anytime".

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 3:27 am    

Just for reference, Carvin isn't very forthcoming (or at least in the past) in releasing schematics or part numbers.

I had a Carvin bass amp where the power IC failed. I contacted Carvin and they wanted a huge price for that IC. I noticed it had a paper label where the part number should be.

I took my time and removed the label, and walla, there was the "real" part number... $8 at an electronics supply house. I bought 3.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 5:04 am    

The schematic for the BX500 is readily available. Downloaded it and looked it over before I bought mine as I was curious on how the 12AX7 was being used. If it had been a "starved plate" application I wouldn't have bought the BX500.

Can't say about other Carvin products as I haven't checked any others.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 5:30 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
My BX500 started distorting after about 6 or 7 months. Turned out it was the OEM 12AX7 tube (I use the tube mode). I replaced it, almost 2 years ago, with a NOS RCA 12AX7 and no more problems.

As a former amp tech, I don't consider this to be an issue. A tube can go "anytime".

Jack- I recall reading about your experience in this regard. Alas, mine has the distortion with the the tube bypassed or not.

Lynn

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 6:11 am    

Are you using the Graphic EQ? If so, disable it and see if it makes a difference.

A bad (dirty) pot could cause distortion. Rotate each control on the front (with the power off) back and forth a couple of times. Also the Tube/Bypass switch and the 4 ohm/2 ohm switch. A dirty switch contact can also cause distortion. Same with the speaker connection, unplug and plug back in a couple of times.

These are user things that can be done. Anything else would require getting into the "innards".

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 9:21 am    

Or, like in the Peavey's, dirty effects send/rcv jacks on the back could be dirty. Plug in a guitar cord from send to rcv and see if it gets better. This kind of stuff can happen to any amp.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 1:52 pm    

I heard back fro Joe at Carvin, and he offered to fix my amp for free, which was nice. I told him it's working again, but I'll take him up on his offer if I have a problem in the near future.