The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Are your instruments insured?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:05 pm    

In the last 24 hours we've seen two threads, one about a steel that was damaged in transit, and the other about a stolen Emmons that was thankfully recovered.

Both these problems can be covered by insurance. I use Clarion Musical Instrument Insurance. There are other companies that also insure instruments.

Are your instruments insured? And if so, by who?

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:11 pm    

Yes, with Clarion. Never had to use them and hope that I don't. Added peace of mind.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:13 pm    

Funny you bring this up Mike, as just today I've been in correspondence with MusicPro Insurance, who was recommended to me by some other musician friends that have had a good experience with them, to insure my long list of instruments and studio gear. I'm getting a couple more details on the policy they offer but it's looking like a decent deal so far.

I've also read that Clarion is a good option too. Regardless, I think that if you depend on your gear for your income (and even if you don't) it's worth the relatively minimal yearly investment for peace of mind and the ability to make a claim should the worst happen.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:27 pm    

It should be noted that if you do gigs, your instruments are not covered by your regular homeowner's or renter's policy. You need a separate policy.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 4:57 pm    

Music Pro here... I've got almost $25K of insurance for less than 300.00 a year, and it's deductible right off of Schedule C. I've never had to claim, but I found them very helpful with questions and such when I was trying to decide about insurance. I've heard good things about Clarion as well.

The policy I have is 'anywhere', 'anytime'.. I asked very specifically about coverage for a guitar I shipped last year for repair. The rep I talked with (a musician herself) told me that it's covered going both ways, whether it's in my possession or not. Covered at home, covered in your car, covered in the club, etc.. You can't beat that.

I've been through a home fire that was a complete loss, including a '59 Bassman, a couple of steels, and some older Fender amps. Mike is correct, unless you specify riders for those instruments (which you pay for in addition to your normal home-owners insurance) they aren't covered. I tried telling my wife that instead of replacing a couch and chair with part of the settlement, I should try to find a clean little Deluxe Reverb.. didn't work.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 5:23 pm    

I have $20K in coverage through my local Nationwide agent for around $100 ano. Everything worth more than $600 is on record with them and every thing else is covered under homeowners. I also keep a book of photo's, description, serial numbers and values in the event they need to be sold. My wife would probably sell them to you guys for next to nothing.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 5:34 pm    

I added "professional musician" floaters to my renter's policy in the 80's and then to my homeowner's insurance since 1990. I think it costs approx $7 per $1000 insured..........maybe more.....I don't pay attention.

Had a claim about 30 years ago, and the insurance company took care of me.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 6:54 pm    

No, but I should. I'll have to check with Music Pro. I contacted Clarion twice, by phone and online. Both times I was told an agent would get a hold of me, but they never did.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 11:23 pm    

I did some shopping around last year & went with Clarion.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 6:12 am    

In the past I was told that if I played gigs my equipment would not be covered in the event of problems. I never leave my equipment even if I am playing more than one nite at a place. I recently spoke with my insurance agent about instrument insurance and was told my homeowners would NOT cover them if they were stolen from my home. The agent gave me the name of a person to appraise all of it. He came, did that, and later wrote his appraisal and gave it to me and the agent. He says one of the reasons for this is that in the event of something happening to the equipment there is a record of it with values. Once this is done the insurance company knows it was on the premises and the value of it. He says without an appraisal they may or may not take my word for what it was or its value. He told me this also applies to antiques. I was in agreement as to its worth and it was added to my homeowners ins and only added about $50 per year to the premiums.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 6:30 am    

What info would they need to insure instruments? I assume model and serial numbers for sure. I am going to contact Clarion myself and get this started.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 9:56 am    

Paul,
They got the Item name ( i.e. amp, steel, 6 string guitar etc), brand name, serial number, year model. Once this is on file there should be no arguments, if something happens as to what was taken and its value.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 12:26 pm     insurance

Anyone who uses an instrument to play out or for pay should have their gear insured. It's reasonable, and easy to get. I don't have much sympathy for those who don't and get burned.
widcj@hotmail.com

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 1:21 pm    

Bill Terry wrote:
Music Pro here... I've got almost $25K of insurance for less than 300.00 a year, and it's deductible right off of Schedule C. I've never had to claim, but I found them very helpful with questions and such when I was trying to decide about insurance. I've heard good things about Clarion as well.

The policy I have is 'anywhere', 'anytime'.. I asked very specifically about coverage for a guitar I shipped last year for repair. The rep I talked with (a musician herself) told me that it's covered going both ways, whether it's in my possession or not. Covered at home, covered in your car, covered in the club, etc.. You can't beat that.

I've been through a home fire that was a complete loss, including a '59 Bassman, a couple of steels, and some older Fender amps. Mike is correct, unless you specify riders for those instruments (which you pay for in addition to your normal home-owners insurance) they aren't covered. I tried telling my wife that instead of replacing a couch and chair with part of the settlement, I should try to find a clean little Deluxe Reverb.. didn't work.

Musicpro here too...as well as our whole band.
Our lead singer had a Gibson J45 stolen on the road. He called Musicpro and was directed to a local Guitar Center and picked up a new one.
It's pretty much a "no questions ask" policy. Whether it be fire, theft, falls out of bus, flood, tornado, car crash....you name it.
I also like how you can add/delete coverage on the fly with your own account page. When I stop playing one of my steels (because they are at home where their on my homeowner's), I just suspend that coverage and add another...from anywhere

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 3:58 pm    

My stuff is insured by Smith & Wesson...and I never leave home without it.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 6:55 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:

Good idea in case of fire or water damage.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 6:19 am    

Quote:
I also like how you can add/delete coverage on the fly with your own account page.

Yep, great feature.. I've modified my coverage a bunch of times, never even had to pick up a phone.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:14 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
Rich Upright wrote:

Good idea in case of fire or water damage.

Well; no flood zone where I live I'm on high ground, and my guitar & steel ALWAYS comes home with me, even when playing multiple nights at th same club. Not too worried about the amps or outboard stuff; they are replaceable. I pay too much already for auto,motorcycle,health,dental & homeowners insurance, so I take my chance. Always someone at home & armed at my house, and we have something called a "Castle Doctrine"; here in rural Florida it is tantamount to suicide to break into someone's home, so it very rarely happens.
But yes, I AM screwed if there's a fire, so we got extra smoke alarms & extinguishers everywhere.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 11:02 pm     Have Looked into it Before.

I have to much stuff and the premiums were, as I recall, going to be fairly high. So no, I have no insurance on my instruments. And I'm like Rich, my stuff is never ever left anywhere, even on a two night gig. Even if I'm staying in a hotel, the guitars go into the room, and my van is parked by the door, amp cases chained to the floor with heavy locks and a log chain. If I can't park by the door, the amps go in the room too.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 6:57 pm    

I am with Clarion. Never had a claim but top notch customer service. About $35k worth of equipment for $288 per year. Rates vary depending on the crime rate of your zip code. I recently shipped my steel Fedex ground to the Phoenix show due to logistical complications with my day job. Before I spent for extra insurance with Fedex, I double checked with Clarion and, yes, my Mullen G2 was even covered while shipped by a commercial carrier so long as I could produce a tracking number.

If you have a home owner's rider and have music income, you are a professional. You may want to verify your coverage. I found that the rider would be much more expensive than Clarion. I file a schedule C, and am definition a "pro" with the Homeowner's Insurance companies.

One other point to consider, make an inventory and assign realistic value to you instruments, amps, etc. I was surprised at what I had accumulated over my 58 years.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 1:52 pm    

I'm not able to gig any longer but have a pretty extensive vintage & custom instrument collection. I have a rider with Allstate - they were cheaper than Clarion for a bit better coverage
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional