The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing Fessenden changer for cleaning?
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 1:35 pm    

How do you remove a changer on a fessenden? I've already unscrewed the return springs and gotten the nylon tuners/rods out of the way. I've unscrewed the two obvious screws on top too. Does the neck need to come off?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 10:52 pm     Removing a Fesseden Changer for cleaning

I helped a friend on his Fessie.

Look in the cutout for the tuning screws in the end plate. There is 2 Allen Head screws that holds the bar on the back of the changer housing. and 4 Allen head screws on the back of the changer housing bar where may or may not have the split tuning screws. There is also pairs of Phillips heads screws that run the length of the neck underneath that would have to be removed if it comes off as a whole unit. Go Slow and Good Luck in this venture.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 4:13 am    

Bobby, could you elaborate on the pairs of screws running the length of the neck? I assume you mean I am getting ready to pull changers on a Fessy D-10 and want to know what to expect. (What to Expect when You're Extracting: could be a new best-seller!). I have an email in to Jerry, but I figured I'd try here too. Dave, were you able to get your changer out successfully? (And, more importantly, back in successfully?)

Thanks

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 6:02 am    

Well, I got part way in and realized that, yes, indeed, the neck would have to come off. Right about the time I was pondering whether this was worth it and leaning heavily towards "no"), I heard back from Jerry, who was saying something about tubas and rags... upshot was to leave the changer in place. Gonna do just that.

P.s. Bobby: I later realized you were referring to the several pairs of screws on the underside of the steel. I was imagining two giant screws running the length of the neck, which, of course, would be strange(!)