The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  cutting nut slots
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 3:48 pm    

I'm building a 8 string lap steel, and I'm starting to amass parts and pieces, and such.

I bought some aluminum angle stock that I plan to use for the nut. Is there a good/acceptable way to cut slots without files made for that purpose? I may never make another guitar again, so if I can avoid the expense, that would be nice.

If I HAVE to get nut files, what's the fewest I could get away with buying? I'm likely going to want to accommodate A6, C6 (probably w/ high G), and maybe E13 tuning, for what that's worth.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 4:40 pm    

I've made a few nuts out of bone and alum. The nut files are pricey, but by this time I probably could have justified buying a few.

allparts or stewmac, maybe antique electronics have individual sizes and a sort of guide for which sizes to buy for multiple size slots. That's the best way obviously. Stewmac.com also has a page with some slotting tips on their site too.

What I've done is use a coping saw blade and a hack saw blade, sanded down the width and taken the set out of them to be small enough for strings 1 and 2, then use one of those Great Neck or other brand of needle files after that on the larger slots. Finish the wound slots off with an old string the correct size.

Not professional, but work well enough for me. I just did a bone one for an acoustic guitar and recently an alum. nut for slide work on an old arch top.

Just work slowly and don't go too deep or too wide.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 5:02 pm    

I have made quite a few nuts and saddles out of bone or aluminum.
What I have used is an acetylene torch tip cleaner.
It has about a dozen sizes in one little case and it has worked great for me.
It cuts well and makes a nice smooth surface for the string.
........and it's only $4.

Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 7:51 am    

Thank you both! I sure like the idea of spending $4 instead of several dozen or more!

Next question...

I do have a tendency to overthink things, and this may be an example of this...

A (non-steel) guitar builder that I know says that he likes to space the strings so that the gap between strings is even, rather than spacing them equally from center to center. Would that be advisable on steel guitar as well, or should I simply space the string equally from their centers?

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 8:42 am    

I have used Tip Cleaners for fixing Nut Slots for years with no problems. If the Cleaner Wire flops around too much, try taking it out of the Holder and taping it to a Popsicle Stick or similar.

IMO, the even gap between strings is way more Professional than the even spacing, but whether or not you will even notice it, I have no idea. You could always make two different Nuts and then compare.

Good Luck with the New Steel! Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 8:51 am    

You maybe don't want to spend the money but StewMac sells a slot gauge that takes into consideration the thickness of the strings when cutting slots.
They also sell double edged slot files so you only need three to cut six slots.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 9:13 am    

I use the Stew Mac gauges for guitar, banjo and other fretted instruments but not for lap steels. My viewpoint is that it's nice to have the same slant angle at a given fret no matter which strings are being played. As I understand it, the purpose of progressive string spacing is to allow the fingers to fret the bass strings without the fingers touching adjacent strings. There's no need for this on a lap steel because we aren't concerned with the amount of space between the strings, the bar touches the center of the strings no matter what the string diameter is.