The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is the lightest weight for a steel guitar? GFI?
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 3:55 am    

Frank, you have the cool black shirt, tie and shades. Time to get a stylin Chicago hat to top it off.
I am in the process of having a Paul Redmond modified S-10 SGI shipped. The previous owner said packed and in a Hatton case it was was 31 lbs. so I guess the guitar itself weighs about 11lbs. . Here are some photos

Last edited by steve takacs on 23 May 2017 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 4:47 am    

It's a chopper. Too cool. Who needs a body?

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 7:24 am    

Dean Rimmer wrote:
i've gone to using a keyboard gig bag......have been using it for about 3 years

I'm using two 49-key soft keyboard cases. Carter 4×5 SD-10 body in case #1. The legs, pedal bar, rods and accessories in case #2. They are less than 25 pounds each.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 23 May 2017 2:25 pm     Piano gig bags for steel gigs

Hi, Dan,
Great idea to lighten the load when gigging. I'd love to be able to put my SGI all in one such gig bag

What kind of foam are you using to surround the guitar? There seem to be four loose pieces of foam that surround the sides of the guitar. Are there also foam sheets at the bottom of the case (the side with frets) and on the top to protect the underside of the steel

Perhaps the padded case makes those last foam sheets unnecessary.

Are yor gig bags a particular brand?

How heavy is this piano keyboard gig bag itself? Thanks, steve t

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 2:55 pm     Re: Got,me a modified SGI

steve takacs wrote:
... a Paul Redmond modified S-10 SGI

What did Paul do?

steve takacs

Post  Posted 23 May 2017 5:50 pm     Paul Redmond SGI major modification magic

Mike, in a nutshell, Paul pretty much did EVERYTHING to this SGI. Here is a catalogue of Paul's work according to the previous owner:

"When I first got this SGI it was in bad shape. They were pretty crude to begin with but it had been heavily used and was pretty worn out. Slop everywhere. I sent it to Paul to “give it the works.” He did just that and then some. He pretty much took Mitsuo’s design and updated everything that could be improved upon. If you remember your old SGI then you'll notice all the new parts and improvements. New changer, under carriage, pedals, bell cranks, knee levers, tuners, pedal board, etc. The only thing I wasn’t 100% happy with is the string guide solution to the tuning keys. If you remember it originally had two tall “string trees” that guided strings 5 & 6 back and kept them from hitting the slots on the way to the tuners. The string height off the fretboard was also originally 3/4” high. He lowered everything so the strings sat the standard 1/2” up(and to accept his new changer assembly) and I think thats why he reworked it. I would have preferred to find a way to look a little more original but understand it probably wasn’t possible. It’s a great solution but it’s a little more work to restring. Everything returns to pitch as it should so no tuning issues with it.

Overall the guitar is now like brand new. No issues. Plays like butter. Way more sturdy than original but still very light weight. Compact little bugger without sacrificing anything. The case is a Kevin Hatton made one(purchased by the previous owner). Also much better than the original case although it is heavier than the original. Tuning is standard Emmons E9 with LKL raising the Es and LKR lowering the Es. RKL raises 1 and 7 and RKR lowers 2 and 9. "

Those of us who have used Paul Redmond know the high quality of his work and how he keeps an owner aware of what he intends to do at nearly every step of the process.. He worked his magic for me on the Kline D-12 I use here in Beijing. Major work was also done on my ZB D-10 that is in the USA. There are photos of the latter on The Forum for those unfamiliar with Paul''s work.

Thanks, Mike