The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's a good pickup for a National Tricone?
Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2017 10:02 am    

Howdy everyone!

I play a 1930 National Tricone Squareneck and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a pickup. I sometimes use a Shure SM57 mic but it has its' limitations. I strongly prefer something I can install semi-permanently but would not alter the guitar in any significant way.

Looking forward to any help, I greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge of forum members.

Mahalo, Peter

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 8:46 am    

You might look into the clip-on mics as one option. I use a Goldtone ABS-C on 8 string resonator. Others use ones by Audio Technica, K&K, or Shure. It's nice to not be "locked" under a mic on a stand.

Bogue

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 8:59 am    

I use the Lace Sensor Ultraslim pickup on my tricone and am reasonably happy with it. It requires nickel wound strings rather than bronze, but picks up the sound of those strings well.

You still have to be aware of potential feedback issues, but I've played it in a seven piece band without problems.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 10:36 am    

I used to use a little clip-on mic from Audio Technica into a small Crate amp that SLM marketed for acoustic guitar. It sounded great in the context of a smallish acoustic/electric outfit without drums. Setup was fairly state-of-the-art for the times (1990s), but there are undoubtedly better options in the 21st Century.

Currently using a SM57, which works just as well if not better. The tri-cone is setting stationary atop a Deluxe34 stand, so any lack of mobility is not an issue.

Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 8:47 pm    

Thanks guys!

Brad, I imagine with the Lace you pretty much lose the unique tricone sound? I remember trying a similar-looking National pickup, and it sounded decent but not much like a tricone.

Jack, where do you "aim" the SM 57?

I think tricones are especially challenging to amplify...in playing around with mic placement, I noticed how remarkably different the sound coming from the cones is compared to the open grill/body, and again towards the hollow neck.

Mahalo, Peter

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 7:29 am    

Peter Garellick wrote:
Jack, where do you "aim" the SM 57?

I install a windscreen on the mic and point it at about a 60-degree angle towards the point where two cones almost abut each other under the treble side of the tailpiece. The mic is as close as I can get it to the instrument, nearly touching the wind screen of the mic to the window screen soldered beneath the cover plate.

There are probably better ways to do it, but this works for me as long as the band doesn't play too loud. If there's a drummer who plays with sticks in lieu of brushes, all bets are off.

When I purchased my '29 squareneck Style-1 many moons ago, it had a weird two-conductor jack installed on the rim that was wired to some type of contact pickup that was attached to the underside of the bridge. I improvised some wiring, plugged it in, and proceeded to blow the main circuit breaker in the house. In retrospect, luckily I didn't start a fire or melt the guitar. I immediately pulled the instrument apart and removed the pickup and wiring, but left the odd looking jack attached. Thought the jack would look better than a gaping half-inch hole.

Apparently tri-cone players have been seeking methods to electrically amplify their instruments for decades upon decades.

Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 10:12 pm    

Thanks Jack, I will give that a try. I have been aiming the mic right between the upper treble cone and the lower part of the open grill, trying to get a balance of the two very different sounds.

It's such a wonderful instrument acoustically...I wish there was an easy way to capture that sound in live amplified performance.

Has anyone tried the Schatten tricone pickup? Or highlander?

Gary Rue

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 5:10 am     tone bone

Peter,I have tried about everything on my martins and Dobros. The best I could do is the "Tone Bone Pre Z" in combo with C+C pickups. I mount the pickups with a small drop of super glue and they pop off with a dulled razor blade if you need removal. I use a Tapastring mini mount on the end block and save the original strap Pin. The pre Z is a luxury the way the features lay out. the dual pre-amp Pretty much covers everything I need on the job. I always add a mike also.

Jouni Karvonen

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2017 8:15 am    

For 2 cents(€) here is how Robert Armstrong has his microphone for the tricone about 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8uPuFWRRI