The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Revelation Tone Stack
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 12:39 pm    

Anyone know the tone stack (frequencies) of the Rev? I assume the Color knob has something to do with the bandwidth?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 3:05 pm    

The Rev is built on a classic '60s Fender tonestack. The values are altered a little bit to be more steel friendly.

The classic tonestack is "interactive". That means the midrange dip frequency shifts around as you turn the treble up and down. If you turn the treble way up, the mid dip can shift down below 300Hz. If you turn the treble way down it can go up to 1kHz. Typically, we steelers find a treble sweet spot right around 3.5 or so. That's where the treble suddenly comes on. That tends to put the mid dip in the 700Hz range, a popular dip frequency area.

The "color" knob then gives the user a bit of over-ride control over the dip frequency. If you leave the color knob at noon, then it's a standard tone-stack. Turning it below or above noon helps to take more control over that frequency. But since it'll always be interactive with the treble setting, it's hard to say exactly the frequency of the dip like we can with the solid state "active" tone circuits found in common amps like Peavey and Telonics, etc.

The color knob is the control I like to use last on the Rev. I like to get as close as I can with the color at noon, then I treat the color knob more like a "tilt" or general clarity control. A little more or less for either a darker, thicker tone or a leaner, clearer tone.

Brad

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 4:18 pm    

Ahh! Thanks Brad! Without even knowing how the stack works on the Rev, I've found my settings and realize how I got there after your explanation. My Treble setting is at 3, mid 6.5 bass 5 - 7 (depending on the woof of the room. Only different approach that I took with the color was starting at 0 and ended up with it at 2 to give it a little blend.
It's a definite "go to" in the studio and I get a lot of tone compliments in clubs. Currently using my old ShoBud pedal with a new pot and connecting it through the pedal in/out.
I'm using a Telonics 427 pickup, which I'm sure will create a little variance of settings compared to the more standard pickups in use.
I'm also using a matching pair of 1960's 12ax7's.
Great amp, but takes a little time and experimenting to get where you want to be.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.