The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Visiting Nashville. Any Recommendations?
Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 2:07 pm    

Hi all,
Visiting Nashville for the first time and looking for steel related recommendations. My apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I’ll be here from now (Saturday July 6th) and leave Wednesday the 10th.

So far I’m planning on seeing the Time Jumpers on Monday, going to Steel Guitars of Nashville and heading over to the Ernest Tubb record shop probably in a little bit.

If anyone has any suggestions for good live music going on, record shops, other shops to check out steel guitars besides steel guitars of Nashville (are there any?), I’d love to hear recommendations.

Appreciate it,
Luke

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2019 2:42 pm    

Came up recently - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343996

Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 10:10 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Came up recently - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343996

Thanks for sharing. I’m remember reading that. Thanks for the refresher and I apologize again if my post is redundant.

Again if anybody has suggestions, especially if there are any good performances happening involving locals that I might not be aware of, I’d really appreciate the information.

I will also be staying in Lexington, Kentucky the night of Wednesday the 10th. Never been before, so I would love any Lexington recommendations people might have.

Thanks a ton,
Luke

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 3:20 pm    

Yes go to the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum and see in person the famous Lloyd Green Sho~bud that is still there in this exhibit; and learn some about the music history>
https://youtu.be/DJcM2ZuB-j8
Ricky

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 4:29 pm    

Luke,
Your best bet is the Nashville Palace and the Music City bar and grill behind the palace. Most times have steel. Sunday through Wednesday. Could be and of the shifts after 2:00 pm.

Broadway is a gamble. When I play there, there could be one steel, none or maybe 4. Different shifts produce different chances of seeing steel.

Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 4:31 pm    

Also, Johnie King has a good selection of steels for sale and a great guy.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 4:34 pm    

Roberts Western World is worth seeing.

Try to find Kenny Vaughn playing. Not steel but great. Same with Marty Stuart.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 6:06 am    

Layla's Bluegrass Inn downtown on Broadway 4-8 tonight is me, Mark Moree on guitar (Daryl Worley) Wade Landry on fiddle(Jimmy C Newman, Mel Tillis), Penn Pennington on bass (Jack Greene), and Shaun Baker or Cotton Payne(Bill Anderson) on drums. All shuffles, classic country/honky tonk, and western swing with heavy fiddle and steel. Come say, "Hey!"

Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 12:29 pm    

Thanks everyone so much for the follow up.

Ricky, I will definitely be visiting the hall of fame and am very much looking forward to seeing Lloyd Green’s Sho-Bud!

Ron, thanks so much for the inside scoop and all of the valuable information!

Paul, I’ll definitely be swinging by Roberts at some point in the next two days. I tried to stop by on Saturday night because it was the only place I could hear halfway decent sounding music coming out of, walking down the street on Broadway but unfortunately I made the rookie mistake of having my backpack on me to carry a few things and my purchases from the Ernest Tubb record shop and wasn’t able to get in because of their no backpack policy. Won’t make that mistake again...

Eddy, I’d love to hear you play at Layla’s today. Hopefully I can catch some of it but unfortunately I’m not sure it will work timing-wise with everything going on and the need to unfortunately accommodate the Misses non-music vacation needs. Hopefully I can convince her. If I’m able to stop in I’ll be sure to say hi!

Thanks,
Luke

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 3:29 pm    

Mike. Sweeney should be playing at the Nashville Palace Tuesday 9 July at 2:30 pm with Gary Gibson. A great band!

Luke Moldof

Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 10:33 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Mike. Sweeney should be playing at the Nashville Palace Tuesday 9 July at 2:30 pm with Gary Gibson. A great band!

Great. Thanks! Hoping to check it out. Wish I was visiting for a month or an eternity come to think of it.