The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many of us have our own 'Trigger'
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 11:37 am    

Like many steel players, I also play regular guitar, and have several electrics and acoustics strewn around the house.

In fact, I probably play more acoustic than psg, simply because of the convenience of not having to plug anything in etc.

I always tend to gravitate to an old 1970's Italian acoustic (Shaftesbury Rodeo 6) that my son rescued from a skip many years ago, and which I repaired.

It has a zero fret, bolt on neck, and adjustable bridge, and is worth about $50, but to me it is priceless. The intonation is spot on all over the neck, a rare quality indeed, and it makes playing it a pleasure.

It's dented and damaged all over, but it's my 'Trigger', and will go to the grave with me Shocked

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 1:21 pm    

I have an OLD Turtle shell Ovation that plays better than a high dollar Martin. Doesnt sound better Just plays better.

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 12:51 am    

I damaged my Taylor Electric Acoustic guitar onstage and had it repaired. I refused to use it (for regular gigs) so was looking for an alternative.
I thought I would find a nice Acoustic and fit a pickup to it. I discovered a Cort Electric Acoustic guitar in a Pawn Shop and it had Fishman Pickups and was planning on striping the pickups off it when I found the right guitar.
I mucked around with this Cort guitar and although it was battered and split, it played quite well. I had it set-up for me and continued to play it at gigs for some time. I even got complimented on my guitar sound (I couldn't tell him it was just a cheap trashy guitar).
Being cheap, it didn't matter if it got knocked around so I was more relaxed when playing (which helped). I was so impressed with the Cort, I bought a cheap Cort Nylon String Electric Acoustic which (when set up) sounded fantastic.
The battered old Cort is now my go-to guitar when I travel in my Motorhome or do a country gig as it feels comfortable and familiar.
I now see why Willie loves his 'Trigger' This Cort is my 'Trigger'
Sandy

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 2:12 am    

I've always played double duty. Some gigs I am on 6 string 100%. Some gigs I am on acoustic 100%.

Trigger ? Uhmm, maybe I have two.

A 2012 Taylor 414 CE with the earlier Fishman system
and
a 1989 Fender 52 RI Tele.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 6:07 am    

The O-18 copy I built at the Red Wing Vo-Tech in 1986-87 has cracks you could almost walk through, but plays and sounds better than anything else I've got.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 7:07 am    

I guess I'm different, I won't play an ugly guitar. Whoa!
Erv

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 7:43 am    

I have a 1978 Takamine dreadnought cutaway with worn frets, banged up sides, scratched up top, and strings that haven’t been changed for many years. It has a crappy old preamp and it sounds terrible amplified, but the unplugged tone is incredible. My favorite practice guitar. Great topic 👍

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 12:07 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I guess I'm different, I won't play an ugly guitar.

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You can have your cake and eat it too.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 12:30 pm    

You can have your Kate and Edith too! Very Happy
Erv

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2019 5:11 pm    

The best playing and sounding bass I've ever owned, a Worleybird. I built it myself from scratch when I was about 20 yrs old (a long time ago!). This was when it was still fairly new, but she still looks the same.

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 5:17 am    

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 9:13 am    

I've been banging on this '62 since the early 80's. It was refin'd in the 70's so not extremely collectible. Everything else is original so it would still bring a good price I think, but I wouldn't take for it. I did have an extra-curricular affair with a CS Nocaster for a while, but this guitar is like an old pair of jeans, it just feels right, and it kills..

Edited: I notice a lot of guys have a 'go to' acoustic, and I've also got a couple I'll play once in a while, but I can get in a quiet room and play that Strat acoustically and still hear what I like about it. It's very resonant on its own.

Last edited by Bill Terry on 9 Jul 2019 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 9:44 am    

Yeah, a '61 Gibson sj50. Least expensive, but best playing guitar I've ever owned (thanks to Jerry Fessenden).

There are so many electronic gadgets, amps, power adapters, etc in my normal gigging life... It's nice to have an acoustic instrument that feels and sounds so good that I can just pick up and play around the house.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2019 1:36 pm    

All my "Triggers" have gone to pasture. Along with the amps and effects. Since I bought my "Mullen" I am so taken with it I haven't played a six string since. I am playing gigs every weekend and rehearsing during the week, so no time to fit in the others. I will not play a gig where they want both played. I am not sure at this point what I am going to do with them, but the steel has taken me completely over. Maybe give them to some of the kids in the family if they show an interest. But they are not toys, (Gretschs, Fenders, Taylor and Martin accoutic's) so they are not cheap.

So there are my "Triggers" out to pasture because of the PSG.