The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The curse of the split case
Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 11:54 am    

I have several guitars in split cases and it finally happened: arrived at my out of town gig with my Sho Bud SD10 body and my Emmons D10 legs and pedal bar! I went so far as to have Kevin Hatton make my last one a different color. But alas, my Sho Bud and Emmons leg cases are both black. They don't even really match - the Sho Bud is well travelled with lots of stickers and my name spray painted on it.

Amazingly I was able to pull it off. Not a good fit and I was sorry to put the extra stress on the joints. The pedals were all wrong - too high, too stiff - but I got through it fine and - surprise - not one single person noticed

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 2:08 pm    

Boy you lucked out that bar even fit haha. I could see something like this happening to me.

Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 3:11 pm    

Jeff, don't I know it! I felt amazed when the legs even screwed tightly into place. I was psyched at the prospect that I could at the very least play it as a straight steel! The pedal board is narrower than a Sho Bud so that's what was causing the undo stress. Hope I don't do that again but I probably will...

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 3:44 pm    

Drove 120 miles to a gig once & found I left my pedal rack at home.
Good thing I am also a guitar player. left that at home once too, & recently.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 4:29 pm    

The worst I ever did was to get to day one of rehearsals with no picks or bar. They were, of course, sitting at home on one of my other steels.

I dug around in my seat and found a mixture of tarnished picks and found something to fret the strings with.

Has anyone else tried playing pedal steel with a Stevens bar??? Yikes! It's all but impossible - especially when you've trained yourself to only cover the strings you're playing with the tone-bar.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 4:33 pm    

A couple months ago I had my Mother give me a ride to a gig (So I could drink freely) and While packing the Van I left my steel sitting by the Curb. I got to my Gig and set up everything wondering "Where the hell is my steel? "
My old lady called her neighbor friend to go out and watch it while I had someone retrieve it. Luckily it was still there. Would have been a sad $4k Loss.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 5:06 pm    

Another reason why I have two identical Zum Hybrids hehe ! Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 6:41 pm    

I don't want to talk about it!

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 3:48 am    

this is one of the biggest transitions i had to make coming from guitar; dealing with all the extra stuff. my newest weak spot is the tuning wrench. had to make one from a tire pressure gauge by bashing it into shape with the back end of the tone bar. wiiiide vibrato that night.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 4:43 am    

Roger...I had something similar happen to me. One was a Jam session in Kent...I set everything up then opened my "steeler's choice" and...you guessed it. No Picks or Bars.

Another occasion was at a gig in Twickenham. Again no Bar Sad

Had a roadie in those days and he drove my Tranny home to get the bar. After that I always had a spare in the van. I bet most of us steelies have had that happen to us Laughing

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 5:32 am    

I have 2 pairs of Hatton split cases. One set is in tweed and the other in black. I have a big bodied Sho~Bud in the black set and my Emmons push pull lives in the tweed set. I deliberately ordered different colours for the reason laid out by Jon above. I also have split Thomas cases for my main Show Pro guitar and my Zum also has split cases (Fred Justice).
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 6:12 am    

Dave Campbell wrote:
this is one of the biggest transitions i had to make coming from guitar; dealing with all the extra stuff. my newest weak spot is the tuning wrench. had to make one from a tire pressure gauge by bashing it into shape with the back end of the tone bar. wiiiide vibrato that night.

My seat carries both a tuning wrench, a 5mm nut driver and a usually-neglected miniature socket wrench with a 5mm socket. And a huge variety of bars (as Steve Gunder was waiting for his Ritt to get built, he rented my MSA and I accepted a mess of bars in lieu of cash), so if I leave my main bar(s) home, I have many more to use.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 8:06 am    

Very Happy Great story!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 8:58 am    

Jon,And you have a picture!! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Steve Becker

Daytona Beach FL
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 11:02 am    

Once not too long ago I forgot my bar and wound up pulling apart an old SM57 mic and using the bottom half, which although tapered, actually worked pretty well! Now I always carry a spare bar and pics in the car...

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 5:17 pm    

Your right of course, we have all left some vital piece of equipment at home - and invariably it is an out of town gig hehe ...these days I carry a spare of nearly everything in a stash in my truck - including power cables etc, guitar leads, picks and bar and so on...and of course a back up tuner on my phone hehe (Petersen App)

I do a couple of overseas flying gigs each year and it;s even more vital to have a spare bar and picks in a separate case or carry on.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 6:59 pm    

I once played a 3 hr gig with a "Pledge" furniture bottle as my bar. That was about 45 years ago. Recently played a 3 hr show with a Stephens bar, a few years ago left pedal bar and legs out and laid the case across two chairs and put the guitar on the case and played non-pedal. Three weeks ago on my way to a show I got to worrying that I may have the wrong leg case so I stopped and checked and had LeGrande Ii and Zum leg case. Barely made it home and to the gig in time to set up. I doubt that will happen to me again and my back loves the split cases.
Jerry

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 7:40 pm    

Yep, been there. My first Emmons came we split cases. Got to the gig one night and realized I did not have the legs or pedal bar. I was working with the trio back then. Acoustic, bass, steel. By some stroke of luck I brought a guitar playing buddy of mine That wanted to get into playing straight country with me and was planning on sitting in. 45 minute ride each way back to get the legs and back to the club. Went out and ordered a single case the next day. I will never own another split case.

Oh and if you do forget your bar, don't bother trying a shot glass. Doesn't work very well

Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 9:01 pm    

Oh man, I also showed up to recording session once with no bar. Played the session with a spice jar!

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 10:56 pm    

Jeff Metz Jr. wrote:
A couple months ago I had my Mother give me a ride to a gig (So I could drink freely) and While packing the Van I left my steel sitting by the Curb.

sounds like you might have been drinking freely before you left!
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2017 3:57 am    

If that LDG was black, you mighta been on to something.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 3:56 pm    

My pedal bar case got ..kinda/ sorta backed over by the truck after having help unloading my gear Shocked It just caught part of the case and the only damage was that it scratched up the pedal bar. The rods were fine.

Good idea on the keeping extras. I already keep extra picks in the glove box but I think I'll put a bar in there too, even if it's just a cheap one.

Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 4:51 pm    

I'm touring in Europe right now and the airline lost my Jazzmaster- lucky I had a spare bar not in my guitar case where all my other PSG peripherals are. One show down with no picks. Hoping to find some picks in Geneva tomorrow morning. Sheesh. Hoping to get my Jazzmaster back soon!!

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:50 pm     ...no problem...

Fifteen years using split cases...never forgot 'em once...

I liked'em so much I bought the company...

Steve
Brand X

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:03 pm    

So...did it sound like a Marlen?