The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's the first step learning the pedal steel
Hank Ruf

Little Elm, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 11:19 am    

What's the first step?

First, you MUST have the desire and stay with it attitude to learn how to play the pedal steel. Ask yourself if you are willing to do that before you continue. If you are, then look for help to decide what kind of steel guitar is best for you to buy or borrow and, if buying, how much money you are comfortable spending. There are many types of pedal steel guitars; single neck, double neck, 6 or 10 strings, and many manufacturers. It is very important for a beginner to find someone, a knowledgeable friend or teacher, to help you select the guitar that’s best for you and whether to buy a new guitar or a used one. If you decide to purchase a used guitar, sight unseen, you are taking a risk of buying someone else’s problems. Being a beginner, you will more than likely not be able to correct problems on your own. If you do decide to buy a used guitar, it’s best to take along a knowledgeable friend and try out the guitar before purchasing. Of course, that’s not always possible. Unfortunately, there aren’t many guitar stores that carry or know much about pedal steel guitars. You are beginning a new and exciting journey; enjoy it!

My latest article "Kids and the Pedal Steel"

If you want to read this article you will need to go to my website> http://steelguitarnetwork.net/blogs/2768/205/kids-and-the-pedal-steel-guitar

Last edited by Hank Ruf on 3 Feb 2017 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 3:09 pm    

Sage words, Hank. I agree.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 4:20 pm    

The best thing when I was learning was all the PSG friends I had from being a guitar player on the NYC country circuit. Try to cultivate such friendships by going out & seeing bands play.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 10:12 am    

The 1st step is to have about $5,000 in the bank you don't know what to do with. Whoa!

Hank Ruf

Little Elm, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 1:55 pm    

Yes, you guys are right. Price is the main reason. Having said that, I wrote this article aimed at older retired men that just want something to do so they start looking for a pedal steel to buy without thinking of what's involved. That's why I put desire and stay with it attitude first. When they find out about the cost they start looking to buy a used steel that is cheap without getting any help from a seasoned steel player. They often times buy a piece of junk and without the desire they soon lose interest and give up. The reason I am writing articles like this is to help folks make good decisions. Would you help me get the word out to the retired (and anyone else) want to be's out there. Think before you jump into buying.

My new article "Kids and the Pedal Steel" If you want to rear this article you will need to go to my website> http://steelguitarnetwork.net/blogs/2768/205/kids-and-the-pedal-steel-guitar

Last edited by Hank Ruf on 3 Feb 2017 11:08 am; edited 6 times in total

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 5:07 pm    

Hank Ruf wrote:
Guys, when I wrote the "What Is The 1st Step" article I primarily had young people in mind since we aren't seeing a lot of them getting involved. We need to get young people involved to carry on. A parent that is wanting their kid to start playing is not going to spend a lot of money on a steel guitar and necessary equipment. No, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars. There are affordable 6 string pedal steels (6 strings, 2 pedals, 2 knee levers for around $800) to learn on and then move up to bigger and better when they are truly interested and capable. Also, inexpensive amps are available for beginners. Just want to clarify why I wrote the article. Let's be encouraging young people and their parents and let them know what's out there.

Hank

Hank it is more about money than anything else. I was 28 when I bought my first PSG. It was a piece of junk and if I had not loved the instrument so much I would of given up. Then I bought a Maverick ??? Same old same old. Then I finally got a ShoBud LDG and thing started to happen.
I wish I had an answer and the steel mfg's do to. The price is killing the instrument but there's nothing that can be done ?
I know this is not the kind of reply you wanted so forgive me.

Hank Ruf

Little Elm, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 8:52 pm    

Bill, yes you First had the desire and stay with it attitude to learn how to play the pedal steel and that's great. When you started looking for one, you said you found out how much a pedal steel was going to cost so you bought a used steel. It sounded like you didn't get help in choosing one and ended up with someone elses problem. Yes, the cost is a huge factor. GUYs, DON"T BUY a used steel without getting help from a seasoned player. If you choose to buy a new pedal steel, there are manufacturers that build custom pedal steel guitars and some build pedal steels that are more for a beginner which are less expensive.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 2:31 pm    

Hank Ruf wrote:
Bill, yes you First had the desire and stay with it attitude to learn how to play the pedal steel and that's great. When you started looking for one, you said you found out how much a pedal steel was going to cost so you bought a used steel. It sounded like you didn't get help in choosing one and ended up with someone elses problem. Yes, the cost is a huge factor. GUYs, DON"T BUY a used steel without getting help from a seasoned player. If you choose to buy a new pedal steel, there are manufacturers that build custom pedal steel guitars and some build pedal steels that are more for a beginner which are less expensive.

Hank You have it right. Advice from a seasoned vet. is the way it should be. Now steel players help one another.
Back when I came up not so much. I ask the only " seasoned vet " in my area and his reply was " Learn the way I did ". On your own . Job security I guess.
Anyway I'm stinking up your thread and I'm sorry. I might be the only steel player that had to consider cost and the overbearing reluctance of " Seasoned vets " .