The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Giving thanks and homage
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 10:29 am    

In thinking about the steel guitar and my life in and with it, I realize that the 3 people primarily responsible for its growth and popularity have passed on- Buddy Emmons, DeWitt(Scotty) Scott, and Jeff Newman. Quite obviously Buddy for his ingenious design of the tuning(s)as well as the mechanisms and unparalleled directions that he took the instrument musically, Scotty because of his love for the instrument enabled him to promote it to a point that the rest of the world could also enjoy the sounds and artists of the steel guitar. I venture to say that the likelihood of the other clubs and shows today being around would be extremely low had not Scotty put on the now-defunct International Steel Guitar Convention and I am truly grateful. Jeff Newman because of his vision of educating those of us who at the time had nowhere else to turn and the mass of extremely high quality teaching aids and classes that he toured the country promoting making it possible for us to take advantage of. Without these folks my life would be totally different these days and I will be forever in their debt. I am fortunate to have reminders of these folks contributions to enjoy on a daily basis at my shop including Buddy's courses and his last guitar, the inventory of Scotty's Music arrived yesterday (thanks Michael), and numerous plaques and certificates from Jeff's classes and lesson material give me cause to smile daily. By no means do I intend to slight the great players to which I've been exposed- you have all been a wonderful gift to me. Recent events in my life have pushed the reset button in my soul and caused me to reflect and wander through my past and I just wanted to say thanks Smile.

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 11 Feb 2017 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 1:08 pm    

Those of us in SoCal are pretty thankful for you too, Pali...

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 1:55 pm    

Well spoken, Pali. You are carrying on the tradition for many of us. Your cause is indeed noble, and I for one appreciate your efforts. See you in Dallas.

Billy

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 4:46 pm    

About a month or less before Jeff passed on, he and I were sitting behind my product table at the Jamboree listening to Buddy. Jeff turned to me and said "that man up there, that's the reason why all these people play steel guitar."

I concurred... because nobody disagreed with Jeff unless they wanted an argument... but I told him that he was as important as Buddy Emmons to the steel guitar industry. He vehemently disagreed, but I said that Buddy showed us what to play, but he showed us HOW to play it. Jeff created thousands of steel players, because so many of his students went on to teach other steel players; instead of fighting for yet another piece of the pie, Jeff made the pie bigger for everyone.

The concept of the steel guitar show, I believe, belongs to Tom Bradshaw. It was he and Maurice Anderson that had the initial show in Northern CA in 1969. Scotty brought the idea to fruition and created the yearly show that became a model for others to take.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 5:33 pm    

Absolutely right Herb- Tom is a fantastic proponent of the steel guitar and should not have been left out- thanks! And to b0b for providing all of us in this support group a means of sharing~~

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 28 Jan 2017 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 6:34 pm     Steel Shows-Tom Bradshaw

Jim..............let out of where????

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 7:15 pm    

Very Well Jim, AMEN. J.R. Rose

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 7:37 pm    

Pali your spot on bud and I agree, would brother b0b get an ataboy as well?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 6:33 am    

Fred Justice wrote:
Pali your spot on bud and I agree, would brother b0b get an ataboy as well?

I agree completely, Fred. b0b is a heavyweight in the contemporary history of our instrument.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 7:07 am    

Oh I think you can add one more name to Steel Guitars growth and popularity. I won't mention his name because he is a humble man and would probably delete me....But think about it?

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 8:13 am    

This is a really great reflection on life and steel guitar.
I also feel very Thankful for the great friends that I have found in the world of Steel. My friend Bill Stafford deserves the credit for inviting me to steel shows to sing with him yrs ago.
The instrument has always been my favorite sound of country and Hawaiian music and being able to go to shows allows me to enjoy so many top-shelf players performing some of my favorite music.
I Thank the World of Steel Guitar for accepting me and my love of the instrument even though I don't play it.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 8:41 am    

Amen to all of the above

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 12:16 pm    

I would add Blackie Taylor and Tom Bradshaw to the list. Blackie has been THE steel guitar go-to guy in So. California for over 50 years. And, at age 90 something, he is still running his shop where he teaches and sells new and used steels. (He is an authorized GFI dealer.)

And Tom's contributions are immeasurable. His record club, his magazines, his PSG products, his inventions, including the raise/lower conversion gizmo that has allowed so many older steels to accommodate more complex tunings, his Webb re-issue amps, most recently his reso pedal, and his restorations of older steels have all made all our lives better.

We are all truly blessed that we have had so many people, Including You, Jim, who have done and are still doing so many wonderful things for our community.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 2:05 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
About a month or less before Jeff passed on, he and I were sitting behind my product table at the Jamboree listening to Buddy. Jeff turned to me and said "that man up there, that's the reason why all these people play steel guitar."

I concurred... because nobody disagreed with Jeff unless they wanted an argument... but I told him that he was as important as Buddy Emmons to the steel guitar industry. He vehemently disagreed, but I said that Buddy showed us what to play, but he showed us HOW to play it. Jeff created thousands of steel players, because so many of his students went on to teach other steel players; instead of fighting for yet another piece of the pie, Jeff made the pie bigger for everyone.

+1

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2017 9:16 am    

Blackie Taylor and Ivan Greathouse were inducted into the SWSGA HOF this year at the show.
Each of these gentlemen have made monumental contributions to the Steel Guitar.
One of the stories I heard at the show was; Tommy White heard Ivan play and that made his decision to take up Steel Guitar. That alone justifies Ivan, but he has so many other contributions.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 1:06 pm    

And thank you, Jim, for carrying on with all your work, dedication and store to help it keep going!

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2017 6:19 am    

Yes Joe Casey he did forget one that did a lot for the Steel Guitar and I can now think of two of them One is a good friend and that is Bobby Seymour and the great John Hughey.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 6:05 pm    

Thank you Jim for continuing to share your vast knowledge and skills with us!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 7:22 pm    

Thank you all, both who are still with us & who aren't, for bringing to the world what is the most beautiful sounding instrument ever created, and keeping it alive.

When I am sometimes asked what I fear the most, I cite losing my hearing, for the sole reason of never again being able to hear the sound of steel.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 4:59 am    

Lots of good thoughts and well written...I cant add anything other than to say I totally agree !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Franklin

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 6:25 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

The concept of the steel guitar show, I believe, belongs to Tom Bradshaw. It was he and Maurice Anderson that had the initial show in Northern CA in 1969. Scotty brought the idea to fruition and created the yearly show that became a model for others to take.

Herb,
In 1970 I played a steel show for Scotty with Doug Jernigan....He had many shows at a very small venue years prior to our show..I believe he started in 67 or 68 possibly earlier with these small shows.. I loved hearing tapes of Buddy, Curly, Maurice, Julian, and Herbie from those earlier shows...
The concept of having steel demonstration shows has to go to Shot Jackson who paid steel guitarists to perform in his store and various hotel rooms throughout the 60's demonstrating Sho-Bud guitars during Nashville's DJ convention...It was those Jams that both Scotty and Tom witnessed in Shot's room that inspired both to try that concept in their local areas.
Paul

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2017 6:47 am    

Hey Paul, thanks for the additional info and clarification. In the mid-late 60s in Los Angeles, I was insulated in the California scene and obviously unaware of lots of great stuff going on earlier and elsewhere.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 12:01 pm     A Small Correction

Not that it matters much, but the show that I put on at the "Dream Bowl" in Napa, California––a dance hall, not what everyone thought was a bowling alley––occurred in 1968, not 1969. Actually, in 1967 Reece and I put on a semi-show at the MSA shop in a suburb of Dallas. I notified all the "within-driving-distance steel players" whose addresses I had, while Reece, along with Tom Morrell, brought in local players to perform. It was in 1969 that Reece and I co-sponsored a show I think I advertised as a Steel Guitar "Exposition." That was in Dallas at the Longhorn Ballroom. Steel greats at that show included Tom Brumley, Curly Chalker, Tom Morrell and Reece, as well as several others that I can't now remember. Scotty attended that event, but not as a player. Reece and I lost money on that effort, just as we lost money on our two other shows, even though we were pleased with the attendance. But after three attempts, we concluded we were not the promoters we thought we were for such expensive events. He and I were both pleased that Scotty took on the challenge.

At all of the events, I did the notices to the steel players who lived within a reasonable distance from the show places, while Reece's job was to invite the players.

When the Norlin Company (Gibson) became the distributor of MSA guitars (early '70s), I was contracted by Norlin to do the mailers to steel players who lived within driving distance of where Reece and Curly Chalker performed concerts, promoting MSA steels. Curly and Reece staged numerous such concerts all over the U.S. and even into Canada.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 4:00 pm     Steel Shows

And I believe that one of the shows in Canada was one that Jazz Guitarist Johnny Smith told me about his opinion of Maurice's excellent steel guitar playing. He was quite impressed and very glad that he had heard him play.

I used to go into Johnny's Music Store on S. 8th Street in Colorado Spring in the early 70's on my lunch hour and drool over all of the beautiful Gibson guitars hanging on the wall. All of those guitars and me with no money.

Thanks to Tom Bradshaw and all of the early players that brought Pedal Steel to the forefront for all of us that love steel guitar.

Just another short note, Johnny's son David (not a player) comes out to my shows about once a month.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 5:31 am    

Heres some pictures from the dallas show...